Fun project, experience welcomed

This is a discussion on Fun project, experience welcomed within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm going to learn more in depth about 1911 firearms by working on my RIA tactical. What are some things I could do to enhance ...

Thread: Fun project, experience welcomed

I'm going to learn more in depth about 1911 firearms by working on my RIA tactical. What are some things I could do to enhance this gun?
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

That's part of the fun of the 1911- there are MANY things you can do to make the weapon YOURS. From simple to complex. If I were you, I'd start leafing through the Brownells or Midway catalogues and looking at parts. Things like swapping slide stops, MSH's, grip safeties etc will get you started. A clue - "drop in" doesn't always mean drop in. Clue #2 - When a part has to be hand fit, less stock removal and more frequent checking in the weapon will save you MUCH frustration. don't ask me how I know, I just do.
    Good luck!
    Sarge
    Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

Enjoy your project, just always remember to remove metal from the cheaper part.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    A big +1 on Sarge's words of wisdom. I built out a Fusion 1911 last year as my very first "home gunsmithing" project. I screwed up one part (the off-side of an ambi safety), but am pretty happy with how everything else turned out, but I really was not expecting how much work needed to be done to fit a lot of those "drop in" parts.

Get Kuhnhausen's 1911 shop manual. Seriously. It is a must have for 1911 tinkering; not to mention, Vol. 2 has a number of good 1911 projects in it that could help you decided what to do.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Links