Local gun shop tour today

This is a discussion on Local gun shop tour today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to one of my regular pawn shops today and am SO tempted to buy several things. Wish I hadn't gone in there. Need help ...

Thread: Local gun shop tour today

Went to one of my regular pawn shops today and am SO tempted to buy several things. Wish I hadn't gone in there. Need help either talking me into or out of some stuff.

1) Ruger SP101 .357 mag DAO smooth hammer - beautiful, practical. I want one bad. Might like a hammered version more. Already have .38 +P snubs (can there be that much difference in the two out of a 2 inch barrel?)

2) Taurus Judge Public Defender - airweight snub model with bobbed hammer. Actually felt very nice in hand. Impracticle. More novelty than anything.

3) Tactical 12 ga pump shot gun with stock and alternative pistol grip 18 and 1/32 inch barrel - I can't think of any reason not to buy this one.

4) Ruger Super Red Hawk 44 Mag revolver with 10 inch barrel - super cool, but not practical unless you intend to hunt with it.

I'm actually giving consideration to 1, 2, and 3 and can get great pricing on them all. 3 is most practical for me. I love 1, but does it really give incremental benefit over my 442? 2 is impractical no matter how you look at it, but it is lingering in the back of my mind for some strange reason.

I'll just keep telling myself to save the money for ammo and shoot the guns I already have.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I'll just keep telling myself to save the money for ammo and shoot the guns I already have.
    yes, it comes down to this at one point. but sometimes a new to you gun is hard to beat. go with number 1.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Only mho, however, if you do not already have a HD shotgun...........
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Get the Taurus Judge Public Defender I have it & I LOVE mine !!!!!

Personally I absolutely love the SP101 but I would never buy the hammer less DAO only model. I like to be able to cock the hammer manually thats important to me. With that said the SP101 is simply an amazing firearm. It's VERY accurate and it's built like a tank, I have the 3" in .357 mag and it's quite possibly my favorite handgun in my collection.

The 12ga and the redhawk I would snatch up in a second. I would take the redhawk hiking and the 12ga well that speaks for itself who doesn't need a 12ga 18" pistol grip in there collection?

The Taurus I would let sit and rust away, no need for it nor would I want it even for a novelty item...JMO
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member
    1) For me, if I already had the snub pistols I would want the 357 mag with a longer barrel.

2) Impractical. Novelty. Then skip this.

3) Yes, yes, and yes. As long as it's not too frilled up already.

4) I must recuse myself on that one. I had to have one at one time. It is now in the consignment shop with extra grips and scope. I try to rethink it and want to keep it in a way but it is not practical for me in anyway other than it is so darn beautiful and looking at it is like taking that first sip of a good martini.

No 1 will be a great staple and "go to " gun for your collection.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Forget #2, and go for #'s 1, 3, and 4...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you don't already have a shotgun then get the 12 gauge that caught your eye for home defense. I think everyone with a house should have a 12 gauge to protect it. The rest sound you want them just to have them in your collection. If you have the disposable income, no debt, have already funded your IRA, and have an acceptable ammo cache for your existing collection, then why not add to your collection?

Thanks for all of the input. I believe the Mossberg 500 tactical 12 ga is on my definite buy list. Might wait for the SP101 3" bbl and hammer. The Judge PD is interesting to me, but only if I can get a great deal. I'll keep haggling with him over it and see how long it sits there...not a must have, but still interesting. I'll post pics after my next tour through.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Sponsored Links