Do it yourself Gunsmithing Kit.... recomendations wanted....

This is a discussion on Do it yourself Gunsmithing Kit.... recomendations wanted.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'd like to start doing my own gunsmithing..... Same as with my bikes and my cars, I hate paying someone else to do something that ...

Thread: Do it yourself Gunsmithing Kit.... recomendations wanted....

I'd like to start doing my own gunsmithing..... Same as with my bikes and my cars, I hate paying someone else to do something that I could possibly do myself. I understand that I can't do everything yet, but everyone has to start somewhere, right?

Well, my Birthday is coming up and I'd like to pick up a GOOD Screwdriver/Tool set.... Do you guys have any suggestions on what & Where to buy? What do you use? I've found the Brownell's Fixed Blade Screwdriver set and this is womething that I'm interested in but it sure seems a bit pricy (no reviews posted on their page).... yeah I know..... you get what you pay for..... but then again, the 89 piece Wheeler set doesn't get very good reviews; a lot of bits described as "exploding" by several of its users.

Thanks!
    "Tempus Fugit. Memento Mori.

JD
    Administrator
    I've got a nice B-Square screw driver kit that seems to do well. You'll also often need a good set of roll pin punches and a good mallet. Pending on what kind of guns you have there are some nice specialty tools out there for 1911s and S&W revolvers that are almost a must.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    gunsmithing huh? Well tools are going to be expensive no matter what I would start with...

steel drift punch set
    brass punch set
    small SMALL ball Pein hammer... (no claw)
    good quality heavy rubber mat
    screwdrivers (flat head) of many sizes
    File set
    wet stones (not rocks)
    fine sandpaper
    dremel set (careful with this one... its only for polishing stuff)
    polishing compound

if you work on rifles or shotguns
    wood screwdriver
    wood rasp

The above should help get you started with gunsmithing. Be careful and be safe with your gunsmithing though its something that can get you in trouble (health, law and financial) if your not careful.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Depending on your budget, you can't go wrong with the changeable-tip "Magna" set from Brownells, about $70. The most common mistake amateur gunsmiths make is using the incorrect size screwdriver bit, which buggers up the screw heads and makes a nice gun look like a kid played with it (second most common mistake is attacking any part of a gun with a Dremel tool!). Hardware and auto parts store tools do NOT have the correct size driver bits to fit the screws on our guns!

BROWNELLS : MAGNA-TIP SUPER SETS - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

I would start with the basic Magna kit and then add individual bits as you need them. One thing I did add to my set was a magnetic driver handle, available from industrial supply houses such as MSC or McMaster-Carr.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I would start with the basic Magna kit and then add individual bits as you need them. One thing I did add to my set was a magnetic driver handle, available from industrial supply houses such as MSC or McMaster-Carr.
    Also pick up the special grinding wheel they sell for grinding down the bits to fit screwheads that are odd sizes.
    Look for those nylon drift punches too. They don't leave marks.

Michael

Sponsored Links