Gun Shop

Gun Shop

This is a discussion on Gun Shop within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; O.K. help me out. I have visited the near by local gun shop several times in the past 6 months to buy ammo, accessories, even ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Shop

Gun Shop

O.K. help me out. I have visited the near by local gun shop several times in the past 6 months to buy ammo, accessories, even my Keltec p3at. The guys that work there are very initimidating to me. I am an average guy with a new found lust in guns and shooting. I am somewhat shy however. Everytime I am in there, they are loud and obnoxiously talking about this shoot or that shoot and how they "smoked it" and so on. It takes several minutes to get someone to help. Unfortunately this is the only shop near where I live. It seems that I am such a bother to interupt their stories to sell me anything. Why? If I didn't know better, I would be discouraged from enjoying my new found love just because of these bozos. Has anyone else experienced this?

Administrator
    Yeah, that is very common is gun shops. No reason to be intimidated, most like that are simply blow hards who like to hear themselves talk.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    so they won't stop babbling even though you are a paying customer?

Don't be intimidated though it will never help. Walk up to the counter and stare at what you want. If they don't ask you if you need help in 60 seconds I would walk out and not return. Most shops will tell stories and such but as soon as a customer walks in they stop to help them.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Yup, theirs a place less than a mile from my work (bob's gun shop) that I refuse to go to. The owner and his son are not very nice gun shop proprietors, big time. Everything is extremely overpriced, their selection is terrible and they are just plain old know it all jerks. Lucky for me theirs plenty of other places I can take my business and that I do. I went in there one time and they were talking about something I can't mention on this forum, I stood at the counter with some stuff for over 5 minutes when I finally I said "this is the last time you will ever see me here this is why no one is ever in the store and this is why every tells me to shop somewhere else" I threw my stuff on the counter and walked out. I'm telling you, I have never once seen another customer in the store...ever....

By the way, this gun shop has been robbed 4 times in the last 2 years...

Other shops around here, you can go in at 8am or 5pm and theirs always people there, but poor old bob would rather be a jerk, treat people like crap, and rip them off thats why no one is ever in there. I hope his shop isn't his only source of income.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I wish I had a local Gun Shop to get treated badly in....

joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by salesguy View Post
    O.K. help me out. I have visited the near by local gun shop several times in the past 6 months to buy ammo, accessories, even my Keltec p3at. The guys that work there are very initimidating to me. I am an average guy with a new found lust in guns and shooting. I am somewhat shy however. Everytime I am in there, they are loud and obnoxiously talking about this shoot or that shoot and how they "smoked it" and so on. It takes several minutes to get someone to help. Unfortunately this is the only shop near where I live. It seems that I am such a bother to interupt their stories to sell me anything. Why? If I didn't know better, I would be discouraged from enjoying my new found love just because of these bozos. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Yes, and what you're experiencing is an all-too-common event... gun store bravado or whatever you want to call it. To some extent, it's a reaction to a lot of the customers who walk into gun shops with an attitude that they know more than anyone else in the store. Regardless, it IS intimidating to the new shooter, and I hazard a guess that it would be even worse if you were a female. Also, recognize that idle banter among the shop staff will naturally involve talking about their interests, which hopefully involves guns and shooting!

Some of the most help I've heard coming from gun-store clerks was actually at a local Cabela's and a Bass Pro Shop, and it was a delight for me to hear clerks actually offer helpful suggestions (here, try this grip, try that action) without either bamboozling the shy customer (who doesn't know yet what to ask) about their personal shooting prowess or dismissing the customer as an ignorant newbie. Another good example is a local shop that (wisely!) has a couple of knowledgeable women on staff... they seem to put the new customers at ease.

If you really are limited to the one local shop, the best I can offer is to try going at different times, or - when the conversation allows it - ASK about the shoots these guys are talking about. Where are they? Who sponsors or hosts them? How often? Are newcomers welcome? With some persistence and patience, and a little luck, you'll become part of the conversation and maybe you'll even be recognized the next time you walk in the door.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I find a lot of stores are like that anymore(Gun shops,or not), workers talking to each other, or on the cell. What I did(retired from a major del. company), and what I still do as a customer. I walk into the store nod at anyone that looks at me, and when I see what I want, I'll say loud enough to be heard by the person I want to hear me(with out being obnoxious ).... "When-you-have -a- minute ?", and look them in the eye. Then it's on their shoulders and works 99.9% of the time.(For over 20 years)
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

VIP Member
    Well, salesguy, there are good sales people and then there are bad sales people.

Option 1
    Say, "Excuse me. I'd like to look at that ....."

Option 2
    Track down a manager/owner. They always want to sell. If they don't, there is always Option 3.

Option 3
    Drive a little farther and find another shop.

Option 4
    Sit back and enjoy the stories. Some of the funniest gun stories come from gun shop employees. Plus, a little good will goes a long way.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

yes it is hard to find a good gun store these days. i got one near by that i go into no more than 2 or 3 times a year. the place is overpriced on all items. sometimes they will talk to you, most time they don't. stopped by two weeks ago the owner was setting out primers. they were $40.00 a thousand. his used guns were high as new ones. look at some anyway. not much stock, not much reloading stuff. what was there i can beat the price off the internet. the owner stated the big box store (sportman's warehouse) has all most put him out of business. i said, with prices like this i can see why. he looked at me like a cow looking at a new gate. come to think of it we had a gun store to go out of business two months ago. this store had been around for over 20 years. but the internet and big box store hits them hard.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    Yup, theirs a place less than a mile from my work (bob's gun shop) that I refuse to go to. The owner and his son are cornholios, big time. Everything is extremely overpriced, their selection is terrible and they are just plain old know it all jerks. Lucky for me theirs plenty of other places I can take my business and that I do. I went in there one time and they were talking about something I can't mention on this forum, I stood at the counter with some stuff for over 5 minutes when I finally I said "this is the last time you will ever see me here this is why no one is ever in the store and this is why every tells me to shop somewhere else" I threw my stuff on the counter and walked out. I'm telling you, I have never once seen another customer in the store...ever....
    There is a shop/range in my area that I refuse to go to even though range rates are lower and it is closer than my favorite range/shop. I'm fairly new to shooting and when asking questions, instead of taking it as a teaching opportunity, I've been scoffed at. (It was regarding a range membership! Wasn't even a hard question) I've trained there three times, once with my dad (we were treated fine). The other two times I was with my boyfriend and a friend of his. People were helped in front of us even though we were in line before them, we were completely ignored once until someone said something and both times when we were helped the employees were extremely rude. As far as I am concerned, my money is as good as anyone else's and I did nothing to warrant that treatment. I take my business elsewhere

My favorite:

Hey--if I can interrupt the frivolity with a work-related question, I'd be grateful...
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Happens to me all the time but it's only becasue I'm young and they treat me like I don't know anything. That's why whenever I go into the shop I only deal with one employee who never gave me a hard time. I have bought 10+ guns from him and I refuse to give my commission to any of the other salesman that works there.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Most of the workers know the very minimum about guns to get their job. It's gunshop B.S.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Gun shops like that get me in and out real quick. Well, I guess it depends on what mood I'm in. If I came to look, I'd rather be left alone until I have a question. On the other hand, if I'm going for something specific, I allow a specific amount of time for a response depending on conditions (usually the amount of customers per employee). It usually works out well, and it's give and take (some give on my part since I don't walk in feeling more important than the other customers, but won't accept being ignored either). I'm guessing it's an industry standard for gun shops the way it goes. I have walked in to a few shops, loitered at the counter, been looked at a time or two with no response , turned around and walked out. Length of time for acceptance of being ignored will vary depending on circumstances. I've got quite a few shops in my area to choose from actually....I know this might not be the case for many of my fellow brothers (and sisters). Thing is...(from my point of view) many retail stores (not just gun shops) have gone away from the sales aspect and what that entails, and gone to the 'if they want it, they'll buy it' philosophy, and less work for those selling because they have it. Sort of a recent trend with the economy actually....welcome back to the basics of supply and demand. Especially with all the hype......it's a seller's market now. 'If you don't buy it, there's somebody coming in any minute that will'. That is what takes the sales aspect out of selling these days, and an awful lot of personality, interaction, and loyalty have fallen by the wayside because of it. The lack of principles, values, and personal interaction is what's driving me into my own small time shop. I think there's a market for getting back to basics. You come into my shop and you'll be served....the second time you come in, I'll know you by name. Plain and simple, and I plan on keeping it that way. I'm kinda tired of all the games myself. I'm getting away from all of that, and back to the basics.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Sixto hit a homerun - they are blowhards and you will find them in most any gunshop. Luckily I have a shop and indoor range a few miles from the house where they are friendly and answer questions - no war stories.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links