Henry Repeating Arms - 2 different experiences

This is a discussion on Henry Repeating Arms - 2 different experiences within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I read so much about people loving a certain manufacturer or having an issue with a gun and then bashing that manufacturer. I had an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Henry Repeating Arms - 2 different experiences

Henry Repeating Arms - 2 different experiences

I read so much about people loving a certain manufacturer or having an issue with a gun and then bashing that manufacturer. I had an interesting experience of both at the same time.

Last year, I bought 2 Henry .22 Magnum rifles at the same time. Lever Action (black with octagon barrel) and a Pump Action (black with octagon barrel). I immediately fell in love with the lever action and it is buttery smooth, accurate, and runs like a sewing machine.

The pump, not so much. Got less than a dozen round through it new with multiple light strikes (failure to fires), jams, feeding issues, etc. Kept trying different things and after a couple dozen rounds, got one stuck and like to never got it out. It went back to Henry, no problem.

I got the repaired rifle back from Henry with letters documenting the problems and fixes. Took it out to shoot, and got less than 4 rounds through it and it started doing the exact same thing but WORSE. It is now on its second trip back, but this trip is taking FOREVER. No word yet.

My local gun shop has said he will make it right when it comes back and get me into something else (which I have decided will be a Mossberg pump 12 ga with tactical stuff added).

Based on 2 guns bought at the same time, from the same manufacturer, in the same caliber, I have one that I could in and of itself say I love the gun and the manufacturer and the other the exact opposite. I guess it just goes to show that one bad experience doesn't necessarily define a manufacturer. Although nothing cheeses me off more than a gun that doesn't function like I think it should. The pump will be gone as soon as it gets back and the 12 ga will take its spot in the safe. I didn't need 2 22 Magnum rifles anyway.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

It is good to hear your experience as I was in the process of buying a henry rifle. I always had my sights for the lever action and am glad that you had good success with it.

I bought the Henry .22 mag with the octogan barrel last year. It's a smooth rifle that really make a great SHTF perimeter gun. I've not heard of any problems with Henry rifles (except for yours).
    One does have to realize that if it's mechanical, it can fail.
    sgb likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I still believe that they are a great company with great products. The lever action is awesome. They've been easy to deal with on the issues with the pump, just frustrating. Sometimes, you just get a bad mechanical piece. Personally, I think the 22 magnum round is just not conducive to pump action. I had a Remington pump 22 lr growing up and it was great (I wore it out).

VIP Member
    I heard the same complaints about the pump action. I decided to go with the lever action and just can't get enough of it.

I hope Henry gets it back to you soon.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

cj
    Henry is usually very good to it's customers. Last time I had a question, the president of the company answered it himself at the time.

They are good, just a bad design combination of pump and 22 magnum. The lever actions are outstanding!!! For pump 22, go Remington 22lr.

I like the lever guns
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have the .22 with the octagon barrel also.Man,this is the smoothest lever I've ever had.I love this gun.No problems what so ever and accurate as all get out. sj

Is it true that the brass ones shoot better? That is why I have to buy a big brass-plated HENRY...someday.

The Henry levers are buttery smooth. I have a Marlin .357 lever action rifle...it's equally as sweet in my opinion. Don't know about the brass ones.

Well, the UPS guy showed up today with my once again repaired Henry pump 22 magnum. I'm not even going to take it out of the box. I'm trading it in for a Mossberg 500 12 ga pump shotgun. Going to get an extended mag tube, folding adjustable stock and pistol grip, and laser. Any other accessories you guys recommend for a good HD shotgun?

The best pump .22 I ever shot was 40 yrs ago... worked flawlessly, and I think it was an old Harrington .22 pump . I used to love going out shooting with that gun.

I grew up shooting a very old Remington Fieldmaster pump 22 and I loved it. Been kicking myself the last 20+ years for selling it. One like that now costs over $800.

I opened and read the packing list. Seems the original pump 22 magnum had a cracked receiver and they have replaced my original rifle with an entirely new in box rifle with a new serial number. The letter indicates the old serial number replaced with the new serial number. I haven't opened the box as I plan on trading this now NIB never fired rifle in on the Mossberg 500 pump 12 ga. I'd say good customer service by my local shop and by Henry. They did what they had to do to make it right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links