Purchasing from a pawn shop?

This is a discussion on Purchasing from a pawn shop? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone ever purchase guns from a pawnshop? I stopped into a pawn shop yesterday to just look around, never been in one actually, when I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing from a pawn shop?

Anyone ever purchase guns from a pawnshop?

I stopped into a pawn shop yesterday to just look around, never been in one actually, when I saw that they buy guns. They had a fullsize m&p .40 priced at $425. Thats $75 cheaper than buying new.
    I called them today to get the details on it, its a gun they took in from someone that wanted a loan, he only gave them the gun and one magazine. No box or other backstraps.
    The gun itself looks brandnew no wear on the finish but thats just what I saw thru the glass case.

Can you haggle with a pawn shop? Would it be unreasonable to ask for something in the $300s with no box or other backstraps?

I have purchased a couple of guns from a pawn shop and have not been disappointed. They expect you to haggle with them. Make an offer and see what happens.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Administrator
    Yes, haggle. Take cash with you. Cash is King in pawn.
    Make a cash offer somewhat below what you are actually willing to pay.
    If they say "No" then take your cash and start heading for the door.
    Chances are 50/50 that they will call you back before you hit the door and make you a counter offer that will be at least slightly lower than the present asking/marked price.
    Then stop back in after a week or so and see if it's still there.
    The longer it sits in the case - the more willing they will be to deal on it.

You might also consider doing a partial cash and trade.
    If you are willing to dump your old school gold ring or a broken piece of gold jewelry or a pile of old silver coins that they can determine the scrap precious metal value on.

I worked in Pawn for a summer. It's a hard & tough business with street-wise people working behind the counter that have really been "around the block" more than a few times.

Thanks guys for the quick response, I'll prob stop in this weekend and see what happnens. Qk good idea on letting them sit on it for a while if I don't get it the first time.

Just need to know a fair price for myself would be for such a purchase. No box, no backstraps and I think its missing one more magazine.

Any suggestions on a starting offer?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I think I need to start buying guns more at pawn shops...but I usually have the "buy new" bug.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Yes, haggle. Take cash with you. Cash is King in pawn.
    Make a cash offer somewhat below what you are actually willing to pay.
    If they say "No" then take your cash and start heading for the door.
    Chances are 50/50 that they will call you back before you hit the door and make you a counter offer that will be at least slightly lower than the present asking/marked price.
    Then stop back in after a week or so and see if it's still there.
    The longer it sits in the case - the more willing they will be to deal on it.

You might also consider doing a partial cash and trade.
    If you are willing to dump your old school gold ring or a broken piece of gold jewelry or a pile of old silver coins that they can determine the scrap precious metal value on.

I worked in Pawn for a summer. It's a hard & tough business with street-wise people working behind the counter that have really been "around the block" more than a few times.
    Well said, haggle, point out ALL the defects you can find espically the lack of mags, backstraps, and really nitpick it out loud. Come up with a price you are willing to spend and DONT exceed it. Start lower than that price and let the salesman work you up to your price. If he doesnt make the sale, walk away.

I purchase from pawn shops. Most are licensed dealers of new firearms as well as used. Haggling is the fun part. Cash talks, and bull walks at pawn shops. Time is money for them. A little profit in a quick turn around is their bread and butter. I get the best deals on stuff I buy the same day they get it in. In the time value of money principle, the effective interest rate on a short timeframe is huge. Check in frequently to get the best deals on newly acquired inventory. When they get high stock in store, they usually have auctions. They'll tell you when their next auction is and you can pick up great deals then.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Definately do research on the gun before purchasing to find a good price point.

Asking on DC is an excellent way.

Many pawn shops either A: Don't know the value of the gun or B: put a ridiculously high price on it.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

If you decide to make them an offer - don't forget you can always ask them to throw in a box of ammo if they don't want to haggle much on the purchase price. Doesn't hurt to ask...
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

Im a pawnshop junkie!!!! Make my rounds every weekend. Sometimes you find some fantastic stuff. I actually got a Benelli Nova 3yrs ago brand new still had the box and all 3 chokes out the door for $280. Saved almost a hundred bucks.

Maybe it was 2yrs ago. and oh yeah even had the choke change tool and owner manuals.
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

I went to a shop aboat 10 miles from my house, abeen there before, so I walk & a women comes out the back, I ask were is Joe BLAH BLAH ect. Then I see a mag for my ruger & asked her how much, She said it is not for a ruger I asked HOW MUCH she said $15. I said if it fits my New Ruger P95 can I have it for $5
    She said sure it's not going to fit Went to truck got ruger left mag in truck walked back in took mag put in ruger gave her $5 said I don't need recipt ; ) PS SHE had HiPoint 380 for $265
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    Definitely haggle with them. Remember, if they are asking $425.00, they probably have no more than $125.-150. invested in it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Dang pawn shop on N E Side of Detroit lists them on Gunbroker. I've yet to figure our how to find the ones he is selling.
    Very confusing
    Don't know Why he is doing it this way, unless he figures it opens up his market

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
    His Holiness, the XIV Dalai Lama
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Know your pawn shop...
    Know your gun...
    Know your limit...
    Know your acting skills...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Pawn Shops are great. I have bought at least six guns from my local shops. Cash is king, negotiate everything. They will reduce their price. Chances are they paid 50% of the price they are offering it for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links