N.J. Officer Accidently Shoots, Kills Self

This is a discussion on N.J. Officer Accidently Shoots, Kills Self within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As reported by Officer.com: Officer.com Home > Top News Stories N.J. Officer Accidently Shoots, Kills Self Gun discharged while he installed rubber sleeve on the ...

Thread: N.J. Officer Accidently Shoots, Kills Self

Unhappy N.J. Officer Accidently Shoots, Kills Self

As reported by Officer.com:

Officer.com Home > Top News Stories

Gun discharged while he installed rubber sleeve on the grip

Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010
    Updated: February 19th, 2010 10:48 AM EDT

An Atlantic City officer died of an accidental gunshot from his service weapon while on duty yesterday morning, according to The Press of Atlantic City.

Atlantic City Police Department
    Officer Kevin B. Wilkins

Officer Kevin B. Wilkins was sitting in his cruiser at approximately 1:30 a.m. outside the Stanley Holmes Village apartment complex on Kentucky and Baltic avenues when the incident occurred.

The 31-year-old removed the clip of extra bullets in his semi-automatic pistol's handle to install a rubber sleeve on the grip, but accidentally discharged the remaining bullet in the chamber.

The bullet stuck him in the face, police told the newspaper.

Nearby officers summoned medical help, but Wilkins was pronounced dead 15 minutes later.

He is the first Atlantic City officer killed in the line of duty in five years.

"He was a city resident who knew and was able to interact favorably with the community, and it's a great loss," Chief John Mooney told the newspaper.

Funeral arrangements are pending.

Source - http://www.officer.com/web/online/Top-News-Stories/NJ-Officer-Accidently-Shoots--Kills-Self/1$50764

- Janq

Yet another unnecessary example toward operator failure to know and/or obey the most basic of firearm handling rules.

1) Finger off the trigger.
    [Gun goes boom]

2) Do not point the muzzle/bore as in any direction but that which is either _safe_ or toward an object/being that you wish to destroy.
    [Gun goes boom as facing toward his face]

3) When not in use always remove the ammunition source (magazine) AND clear as well as inspect the chamber of any round(s) remaining.
    [Gun goes boom as facing toward his face firing a rounds projectile into his head]

End result: Unintended suicide (killing of self) as by negligent discharge.

Every time I instruct a course regardless of the student background, scope or skill set I as a rule will _always_ preface with a safety briefing...So as to prevent just this sort of avoidable tragedy from occurring.
    Never mind that being seated in a squad car is not the place nor time to be teching ones duty arm (!).

So sad for his family.

He could have saved his own life by simply following just one much less all three of these very simple and basic steps.

: |
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    In an odd coincidence, I'm actually in AC now...

While the officer's family has my sincere condolences, I am always slightly suspicious when I hear stories like these. It's not unknown for suicides to be "explained away" by accidents... I am not saying that this is the case here, but it IS a pretty odd situation...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Sad, but every time I hear story like this my first thought is, this was a suicide.

VIP Member
    I'd "like" it to be an accident, but..............just too many mistakes in basic safety made.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by dbsmith54 View Post
    Sad, but every time I hear story like this my first thought is, this was a suicide.
    +1 Sad for the family
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

very very sad
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I wonder if his training was inadequate or he simply ignored/forgot how to clear his weapon and the safety rules.

Either way, he is the one responsible for the safe operation of his firearm. At least he didn't hurt an innocent person.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I installed a Hogue 'Handall' grip sleeve yesterday evening on my FNP-9. But only after I removed the magazine and the round in the chamber. I then performed a visual inspection of the magazine well and chamber with the slide locked back. Not once during the entire process was the muzzle ever directed at any part of me.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

He is the first Atlantic City officer killed in the line of duty in five years.
    I wouldn't say it like that.
    Killed ON Duty. Yes.
    In the LINE of Duty. No.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Point the loaded pistol at your face........Geeeeezzzzz.
    Striker fire........must have touched the trigger......Terrible.

Sounds like that department needs to review firearms safety immediatley. Get someone from outside the department to come in a review basic firearms handling and safety.

Tragic no matter how you look at it.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

I'm still trying to figure out how the muzzle got pointed towards his face if he was trying to get a slip-grip on....??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Tough call,
    I'm not sayin nuthin'

"Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is doing it. Right is right, even if nobody is doing it."
    St. Augustine
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Lots of things wrong here, and no winners. I feel sorry for the family.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; February 20th, 2010 at 06:42 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links