Gun shop prices vs online prices? - Page 2

Gun shop prices vs online prices?

This is a discussion on Gun shop prices vs online prices? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My last three handguns I bought from a local gun store,His prices aren't that bad and he has some decent weapons,he carries guns that the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun shop prices vs online prices?

My last three handguns I bought from a local gun store,His prices aren't that bad and he has some decent weapons,he carries guns that the local Academy and chain stores don't.Before buying a gun check what the average price is online before you go out looking,that way you know when something is priced insanely high,$700.00 is what you might get from a buyer in a private sell that doesn't want you to get his information"if ya know what I mean"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My gun shop prices his guns OTD. Whatever's on the tag is what you pay. I got an RIA tactical from him for 465. I think that's more than reasonable. Whenever I have a problem with a gun I bought from him, he has his gunsmith fix it for me.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

I like goin to my local dealer there not over priced typical is about 50 over internet and thats what an ffl dealer will charge to receive and transfer anyway and i get to fondle it before i buy it.

I have yet to buy a gun online, though I did shop online to get ideas on prices and such before I went to the local gun store. I recently was looking for a couple guns they didn't have so I asked them if they could be ordered and they called their dealer and they did not have it nor any idea when they could get one. I placed an online order with another local store (they sell online too) who stated they could get it in 6-8 weeks. So now waiting to see if they come through. I still will have to pay $12 for shipping even though I am picking it up in the store, but if they can get it I don't mind. I try to support my local shop as much as possible and usually only buy anything elsewhere that they don't have- like certain accessories and holsters.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

I prefer to buy local, but I'm not going to pay a ridiculous premium to do it. I just received a new no-lock SW442 that I bought online. It was $399 with $30 shipping. Receiving dealer charged $15 for transfer. Total comes to $444. The local storefront dealer is selling the SW442 (with the ILS lock) for $549 plus the tax of $39.11. That's a total of $588.11. For a difference of $144, the local storefront will lose my business every time. I have no problem paying a little extra for in-person service and help him support his storefront operation. But a 33% upcharge in a case like this is completely out of line and I'll go online for the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by rico68 View Post
    I prefer to buy local, but I'm not going to pay a ridiculous premium to do it. I just received a new no-lock SW442 that I bought online. It was $399 with $30 shipping. Receiving dealer charged $15 for transfer. Total comes to $444. The local storefront dealer is selling the SW442 (with the ILS lock) for $549 plus the tax of $39.11. That's a total of $588.11. For a difference of $144, the local storefront will lose my business every time. I have no problem paying a little extra for in-person service and help him support his storefront operation. But a 33% upcharge in a case like this is completely out of line and I'll go online for the purchase.
    Did you ask the local store for a better price? My local dealer was $200 higher for the same gun I could get off the net. I gave him a call and ask for his bottom dollar and he beat the net price by $50. Even if he had been $50 over the net price I would have bought it from him though. That said I wont let him gouge me, but I will give him a chance to make the sale.

Michael

kpw
    Most dealers around here are over net pricing. Some by a little and some ridiculously so. The shop I frequent most often happens to be one of the cheaper around. It's the after sale that keeps me going back the most. Besides selling them, he backs up what he sells, he's a good 'smith and runs a small but excellent training school. Those little things add up over the years and sometimes saving $20 or so isn't worth it in the long run.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member

On-Line Sales

I sell just about everything related to hunting camping and firearms by Internet.

Years ago, we use to get the big Sears, Montgomery Ward and Spiegel Catalogs. You would look through the catalog over and over but might not ever go to the store.

Maybe you would buy from the catalog and maybe you would go to the store.

Sometimes the store had what you wanted to look at, see and feel but many times they did not.

It is really no different today.

Now all of this is on the Internet.

While some restrictions apply, it is quite possible to buy firearms over the Internet.

Almost all other hunting and camping gear, including ammo can be shipped directly to your home in a few days.

The mom and pop stores will not go away and I hope they never do.

If however you are going to a big-box store, why not consider buying on-line?

Over 50% of my customers already know what they want and have checked around.

When some customers see prices on my website that seem too good to be true, I usually get a call.
    We encourage that.
    My customes should call. They need to know exactly what they are buying.

We try to offer the best possible customer service.

We put our toll-free number out front because we know you might have questions.

It is often more convenient, faster and can save you money to buy over the Internet.

At least compare prices.

gunsandsupply.com Home

888-745-2080
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Did you ask the local store for a better price? My local dealer was $200 higher for the same gun I could get off the net. I gave him a call and ask for his bottom dollar and he beat the net price by $50. Even if he had been $50 over the net price I would have bought it from him though. That said I wont let him gouge me, but I will give him a chance to make the sale.

Michael
    They won't match online prices. They will match another local store that has the gun in stock. I agree with you, if the local is higher priced, but by a reasonable amount, I'll still buy local. But there's a line when the markup just becomes crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwguy View Post
    The few that I frequent around here are pretty competitive with the internet and each other. I usually look up the gun on Gallery of Guns.com Gun Genie first. The gun stores that I go to come up in the search for the specific gun. If the gun is in stock on Gallery of Guns, you can do an instant quote to get their lowest price. If the gun is not in stock, it will not show the discounted price. The stores that I go to honor the discount price and sometimes are able to do better.
    Thank you for posting this. I have spent numerous hours pricing several models of guns that I'm interested and have spent quite a bit of time with the Gun Genie.

What I didn't know that your post tells me: if I get an instant quote from a local dealer, that means they actually have the gun in stock. (I'm reading this as, on hand, I can buy it today if I go in in person, no wait, no shipping, no hassle). I didn't have that information up til now, from the genie or from the dealers I've spoken to.

Also: didn't know that it was possible to perhaps beat the Genie instant quote price. If this is really the case, it may make purchasing my chosen model as an NIB gun rather than a used gun, a viable option. (It seems like most models I'm considering keep their value extreeeeemely well. Finding a used one that's actually a "bargain", when you consider shipping and FFL charges and/or taxes being tacked onto the online or gunshow price, is proving difficult.

-M

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links