A cautionary tale

A cautionary tale

This is a discussion on A cautionary tale within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know if this has been posted here before, but read it as a reminder of why the four rules are so important. Link: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A cautionary tale

A cautionary tale

I don't know if this has been posted here before, but read it as a reminder of why the four rules are so important.

Link:

http://carteach0.blogspot.com/

The post, called Glen's story, is the second entry from the top.

repair link qks

No link...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I think THIS is the corrected URL
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

pax
    And a direct link to the story: Carteach0: Glen's story.... a cautionary tale for shooters

*shudder*

The lesson is: don't hang out with people who are cavalier about the safety rules. Checking the gun does not mean it has become a toy! ALL the safety rules still apply to "unloaded" guns.

I don't care if you're military & somebody taught you that it's okay to point guns at people "if you've checked it." If this story doesn't graphically illustrate why that's a stupid stupid stupid bad idea ... well...

*sigh*

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

VIP Member
    Incredible (appalling) story.

This has me thinking of something most of us are taught from the beginning. That is, not to be afraid of the gun. Ask a herpatologist if they are afraid of the poisonous snake they are handling. Or the large cat trainer. When you loose your fear of something that is when you begin to take it for granted. While a gun does not have the capacity to choose to bite as a snake or tiger, it is just as dangerous when we no longer respect its ability to destroy. Perhaps a better analogy is HIV in the medical field. It is a scary thing and when you loose your fear of it, terrible things can happen.

Fear does not have to mean paralyzing terror. To me, in regard to firearms, it means a healthy respect for the damage and horror they can produce when utilitzed for their ultimate purpose.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Not so much fear, as a healthy respect born out of fear.

I'm just starting to read the story, but I must say that was a well travelled bullet. Like a hungry tourist in search of the best memories, but not staying long enough to really experience the history.

In case any of you aren't sure, let me say that this was one VERY LUCKY YOUNG MAN to be alive today. Too bad about the spinal injury.

They gave the gun to the victim? That doesn't sound right.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Thanks for providing the links....My mistake!
    CinSC

Wow what a story. Excellent reminder of why the gun safety rules are non-negotiable.

Yet another good one to remember.

Saw a case on Judge Judy where one guy was checking out the drivers gun and there was an ND,passenger shot thru left hand and driver shot thru both legs.Driver was suing for cost of 3 guns confiscated by Police,he lost the case
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Wow. His 'friend' actually pointed a gun at his chest, and pulled the trigger?

In my mind, there really is an extra rule on that list of gun safety rules: no goofing off.

Whenever I was little, my dad had a strict rule: no "goofing off" when near guns. He took it extremely seriously: if you starting playing around and treating a gun like a toy, even if you always kept it pointed in a safe direction, had double checked that it was unloaded, and never touched the trigger, you weren't doing any more shooting that day. I think that this type of thing tends to be understressed in teaching gun safety.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

That incident was far too careless for me to forgive.

VIP Member

N goofing off covers it

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Whenever I was little, my dad had a strict rule: no "goofing off" when near guns. .
    This one really covers it all. It covers pointing it where it shouldn't be pointed, it covers playing with it, carrying while drunk or drugged.
    It covers not using a holster. It covers not paying attention (to the backstop). NO GOOFING OFF says it all.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Yes, the point being:

Safety is an attitude, not just a series of rules.

While it may be true that nobody can get hurt without violating the rules, nobody will stick to those rules over time if they do not have the proper attitude.

As for me, if a friend of mine jokingly pointed a gun at me I would never want to be around them and guns ever again. I would be really, really pissed.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

pax
    GWRD,

Re-reading the description, it actually sounds like nobody was joking. Given that they're military, I would almost be willing to bet it was a variant of "the trust game" some military guys do to build team cohesion (see Marines take deadly risks with 'trust' game - Military- msnbc.com).

Doesn't excuse it in the slightest, but it does, perhaps, explain it -- and explain the injured man's willingness to forgive.

All the same, I repeat: checking the gun does not mean the other safety rules go out the window. Even an "unloaded" gun must be treated with cautious respect.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links