Guns Used In Military Conflicts?

This is a discussion on Guns Used In Military Conflicts? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering if its possible to track down who the guns were issued to during military conflicts? I have always wondered this and tried ...

Thread: Guns Used In Military Conflicts?

I was wondering if its possible to track down who the guns were issued to during military conflicts? I have always wondered this and tried looking the other day and couldn't find anything on the web. Just thought it would be very interesting to know which soldier had used the weapon during that conflict. Such as who was issued this M1 or British .303 or who was issued this Type 97 or Mauser 98.

Thanks

In reading your post, do you want to track down the individual soldier or military personnel who issued the weapon or the one recieving it?

I'm sure the local VFW, or American Legion Posts are full of Veterans who would let you know.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Ya, I knew it was going to sound a bit confusing...sorry. The soldier receiving it to use. I'm pretty much into history and thought to actually know the history of the rifle or pistol say from WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam or even the Civil or Revolution (if those last two would be even possible) would be really interesting. Instead of all you know about it is, it was built 1943 and was "probably" used in WWII
    I'll try the VFW this week sounds like a good start, thank you.

No problem! I love history myself.

My grandfather fought in WWI with the Third Division and he carried a 1903 Model Springfield .30-06. He was in the motor pool, rode motorcyles carrying dispatches, newspapers, orders etc to the various commanders. The Springfield he carried was housed in a leather holster slung over the motorcyle in case he came under fire from German snipers as he rode to the next post. He told me that he only had to remove it once and I don't even think he had to return fire. When he was discharged, he had to turn the rifle over to Army Ordnance. I was just a lad, about 7 or 8 years old and had asked him if he still had it! I like firearms too.

The former Priest at our church was in the British Army just after WWII and he carried the .303 Enfield although he knew little about the individual rifle, serial number and that. We went for a visit once and he showed me a military surplus one that he bought a few years ago, because he liked the Enfield rifle and the way it shoots.

Good luck in your quest!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I doubt you will be able to track the history of a military weapon. Might find some with a name scratched in it.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

At least in my unit, they issue a rifle and keep track of who has which rifle currently, but our rifles are turned in and reissued several times. I have had 3 different M16s alone in the last 3 years, and that's not including boot camp and infantry training. We could probably find out who had the rifle last, but before that, I doubt it, in most cases. And I would be very surprised if they kept better track in WWII than they do now.
    USMC Sergeant
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Utah BCI Certified Instructor
    Utah Self Defense Instruction- Utah CCW, Discount NRA memberships/renewals
    Gun Blog,CCW News and Reviews

Sponsored Links