.357 J Frame

.357 J Frame

This is a discussion on .357 J Frame within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone own and shot a .357 J Frame? If so, is the recoil managable? I am thinking of swaping out my Glock 27 40 cal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357 J Frame

.357 J Frame

Anyone own and shot a .357 J Frame? If so, is the recoil managable? I am thinking of swaping out my Glock 27 40 cal for one as my totin piece. My boy has a Taurus .38 J frame and I like it's size and totability factor. Just like more punch than a .38

Not for me in a 12oz 340pd.
    don't even like .38sp +p.

actually, don't even like .38sp in that gun. Doable, but no fun at all.

If you're set on .357, I'd think SP101 or model 60, not scandium.
    You're probably not getting better ballistics out of .357 in a snub than .40SW in a G27, so only issue is "toteability."

I've gone the other way and mostly switched to a G26.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

I've gone the other way and mostly switched to a G26.

This is a very good answer to your need IMO.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Whaddyathink? Maybe I should keep the G27 and trade my Rossi .357 for a J frame.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Depends on your recoil sensitivity. Myself a Jframe 2 inch .357 had a little kick, but Im kinda a freak of nature, and can't feel my hands really.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I have a Mod 60 and it is fine with 357 mag. I am more of Colt, S&W, Ruger man. I do not have any experience with Tarus. I do not think the trade would be good value wise. But if he is your son what difference does it make.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

A J frame wheel gun has a lot going for it but there are detractors too ... recoil being one of them. The recoil with a steel frame revolver will not be as severe as an airweight but you lose a little of the "totability factor". I've been carrying my SW 649 Bodyguard .357 in a OWB pancake holster or IWB once the weather turns warmer. The added weight of the steel frame is negated with a decent carry rig. The steel frame is not as totable in a pocket but you can do it. The issue of recoil is an individual thing but I think most shooters will agree that the recoil from "full house" magnum loads in a J frame will be severe. I've found the 125 grain Remington Golden Sabre reduced velocity to be very manageable in my J frame yet still deliver a magnum "punch". Same for the Winchester white box in 110 grain SJHP; very manageable and seems to target well. Speer makes a .357 135 grain HP designed for short barrel revolvers ... a little more recoil but doable. Hornaday also has a .357 "critical defense" offering but I haven't shot it yet. There are several choices to be had. Try them and see what works best for you and your revolver.

I've got a 3" ruger SP101 in .357 mag. Carry it everyday and love it. The thing is a tank and recoil is easily manageable for me. My girlfriend is tiny and she shoots full power .357 ammo through it without a problem. The only time it's a handful is when I load it with 180 gr flat nose buffalo bore rounds when I hike, those sting a little.

.38 spl is nothing out of it I could shoot it all day, and .357 mag is just loud it has more bark than bite
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I have a mod 60 2 inch. With 125's it's OK. The oversize rubber grips are a lot of help but I put the smaller finger groved wood one's on mine. I got the gun from a guy that had only shot it 12 times and did not like the recoil. He does not shoot as often as I do. (LOUD)

Quote Originally Posted by wormtown View Post
    Not for me in a 12oz 340pd.
    don't even like .38sp +p.
    Yup.

For me, hot .38's need ~20oz+ in order to make it decently fun to shoot. And even more weight and a better grip is needed to handle .357mag. In .357, I wouldn't want to carry anything smaller/lighter than a Ruger SP-101 or similar. A 3" SP-101 was perfect, in .357, for a compact revolver. A GP-100 is even better able to handle the load, of course, but it depends on how recoil sensitive you are.

If considering alternatives to a revolver, there are certainly other choices, yes. One of the baby Glocks, a sub-compact Taurus, Walther's PPS, the Kahr MK and PM series pistols.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

While I will agree that shotting anything out of a 12-ounce J-frame isn't fun - the gun isn't designed to be fun to shoot.

The point is to have a light-weight, reliable full-power gun.

I carry a S&W 340 loaded with Speer .38+P for short barrel revolvers, simply because I haven't found a .357 round with a fast enough powder to get the benefit of a magnum load.

All in all, the question is what is the gun for? For easy carry and concealment, go with light-weight as long as you can control the gun. If you ever have to nuse it for real, the pain of the recoil will be the least of your concerns.

Just my $.02

Well said. The focus should be on what is needed for adequate self defense and less on how much fun it is. Having to shoot for self defense is not and should not be fun. Just necessary.

Have a Taurus 605 (5-shot) and 617 (7-shot) in .357 and like them both well. No real issues at all. I got the ribber grips for the 617 and really like them. I tend to carry it a lot of the time. Recoil, isn't much of an issue.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    In a word.....Ouch.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

All in all, the question is what is the gun for? For easy carry and concealment, go with light-weight as long as you can control the gun. If you ever have to nuse it for real, the pain of the recoil will be the least of your concerns.
    When I say "no fun" I mean painful enough to not practice with it as much as I should to be able to make fast accurate hits and rapid follow up shots. My practice limit is about 20-25 rounds, which is far below my 100 minimum for any of my other carry guns.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links