Carry at 2010 NRA Annual Meetings In Charlotte????

This is a discussion on Carry at 2010 NRA Annual Meetings In Charlotte???? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was considering volunteering to help at the NRA Annual Meetings In Charlotte, bur not if carry is prohibited. Emailed the Volunteer Coordinator to find ...

Thread: Carry at 2010 NRA Annual Meetings In Charlotte????

VIP Member

Question Carry at 2010 NRA Annual Meetings In Charlotte????

I was considering volunteering to help at the NRA Annual Meetings In Charlotte, bur not if carry is prohibited.

Emailed the Volunteer Coordinator to find out if OK to carry.

Got the following non-reply:

To: yyyyyy
    Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 11:57 AM
    Subject: RE: Volunteers Needed For 2010 NRA Annual Meetings In Charlotte

We always allow it if local law permits. And if the host city has an ordinance specific to the Convention Center, we usually ask for a waiver. I have not heard of any complications yet. But I'm not in Headquarters, either. Keep checking 139th NRA ANNUAL MEETINGS & EXH for updates. OK? Thanks.

xxxxxx
    Volunteer Coordinator
    NRA Annual Meeting
    Anyone here know the local law in Charlotte?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Charlotte itself is carry friendly or neutral at least. State law applies, OC and CC. Maybe check municode for specifics. I don't live there so this is from other folks I've talked to or read posts of.

Charlotte municode page.

Client Codes

Here is the Conv Center rules. The trick is, will the NRA get an exemption.

DANGEROUS WEAPONS
    A “dangerous weapon” is any object or device designed or intended to be used to inflict serious injury upon persons or property.
    1. The possession of a dangerous weapon is prohibited in the Convention Center, except as provided below. Concealed weapons are strictly prohibited in the Convention Center.
    2. If firearms are an integral part of an event, an exhibitor may display a firearm as part of its exhibit during an event subject to the following:
    a. The exhibitor must comply with all federal, state, and local laws governing the possession and/or sale of firearms.
    b. Firearms may not be loaded or fired in the Convention Center.
    c. Firearms must be deactivated by removal of the firing pin, the bolt, or otherwise altered so that they are incapable of being fired (e.g., by a metal lock through the trigger mechanism, a plastic strap securing the trigger or hammer mechanism, a plastic strap securing the firearm’s “action” mechanism in an “open” state, or otherwise).
    Exceptions may be granted, at the CRVA’s sole discretion, for particularly rare antique firearms displayed in a locked case or otherwise made inaccessible.
    d. Powder or primers are prohibited in the Convention Center. Sample live ammunition may be displayed in exhibits, which are kept separate from firearm exhibits or by exhibitors who do not also display firearms.
    e. Firearms and ammunition will be inspected by an authorized safety inspector approved by the CRVA during event move-in and/or at such other times as determined by the CRVA. Violations of this policy will be reported to show management and the CRVA. All violations must be corrected before an exhibit will be allowed to open.
    f. The sale of firearms and ammunition is prohibited in the Center, although exhibitors may take orders for future delivery subject to applicable law.

Next to last page.

http://static.charlotteconventionctr...ions_Oct08.pdf

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That sounds like a "no."
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Because of the way North Carolina law reads, the convention centers rules mean little. To prohibit concealed carry, notice that concealed weapons are prohibited must be "conspicously" posted.

While there is no precise definition of "conspicuous" notice, it has been commonly taught/accepted that it means at every entrance.

the convention (at least as of a few months ago) is not posted as no concealed carry. Whether anyone will say anything about open carry I have no idea

Are they charging admission to get in? I saw somewhere it is free for members to get in, so I would assume there is an entrance fee. If so State law will trump them all and it will be a no go.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

I was at the Charlotte convention center this weekend for an RV show and did not see it posted, at least at the entrance I went thru. However, admission was charged so carry was prohibited. My educated guess is that there will be no carry at the 2010 NRA convention in Charlotte. The NRA convention will fall under the "admission is charged" rule.
    To all you current and former military ... thank you for your service! Let no one forget that the sacrifices you have made allow us the freedoms we enjoy.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmizzi View Post
    I was at the Charlotte convention center this weekend for an RV show and did not see it posted, at least at the entrance I went thru. However, admission was charged so carry was prohibited. My educated guess is that there will be no carry at the 2010 NRA convention in Charlotte. The NRA convention will fall under the "admission is charged" rule.
    The only way you can get in is if you are an NRA member. No admission fee is charged. Also, uniformed law enforcement and active military are allowed. This is what they did in Phoenix last year. I did both OC and CC while there.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I am planning to go with my husband and we are both NRA members. Can kids come with? Never been before...
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purpledragon View Post
    I am planning to go with my husband and we are both NRA members. Can kids come with? Never been before...
    Absolutely, it's a family event.

In case you haven't seen these. check them out..............

139th NRA ANNUAL MEETINGS & EXH

YouTube - 2009 NRA Annual Meeting, Phoenix Arizona
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member

Not mentioned in email

As a life member, I got the big pitch email from Wayne LaPierre -- as I expect many of us did.

No mention of carry, that I saw.

Too bad.

I'll pass.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links