Trigger locks...what's the point?

This is a discussion on Trigger locks...what's the point? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to Bass Pro today to take a buddy shooting. Brought my 229, M4, and Rem870. They make you install trigger locks on all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trigger locks...what's the point?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

Trigger locks...what's the point?

I went to Bass Pro today to take a buddy shooting. Brought my 229, M4, and Rem870. They make you install trigger locks on all the guns you bring in, so I let them lock up the M4 and 870. He asked to lock my pistol, told him it was my CCW and I wasn't going to let him lock it. He OKed it, and we went to the range area. They said no shotguns or rifles unless you go to the "tube" which was only one lane and in use all day. We decided just to shoot pistol.

When we left, we forgot to have the M4 and 870 unlocked. Got home, and my buddy called and reminded me. I really didn't want to drive all the way to bass pro and back just to get them unlocked...it's not a short drive and my truck eats gas like it's cool. I feel a little bad about shorting bass pro 2 trigger locks, but whatever.

First off, the M4. Ball point pen to press in the pin and swing the trigger guard open. 2 seconds, and the lock was off. Why even bother putting a trigger lock on a gun that has a swing away trigger guard?

With the 870, I took a drill bit to the lock and it was off in under 30 seconds. I would have picked the lock instead, but I was feeling lazy. I'll return the in tact one to bass pro next time I'm there.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

2. Remove Ads

The point of trigger locks is to apply a feel-good solution. They will barely slow down an 8 year-old kid and will make an inquisitive one try to defeat it faster.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    A few months ago, I asked my dad if I could borrow his S&W .44mag. The problem was, he had trigger locked it and lost the key. He put off trying to drill it out for probably 10 years because he thought it would be a big pain without a drill press.

It took me less than 2 seconds to unlock it: I found a random key that was slightly smaller than the lock, raked it a few times, and pop! It was open.

I have zero faith in trigger locks now.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

When I bought my HK P2000 at Academy Sports a couple years ago, they had lost the key for the trigger lock. One of the guys went and got a drill and had it off in less than 30 seconds. I also have a box full of the cable locks that come with new guns now. I refuse to use any of them. The guns that are not being used for home defense or CC are locked up where I can get to them if I need them.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

VIP Member

Gun Cable locks

When you buy a gun you buy, it will normally will have a manual that is probably more that half disclaimers and gun safety.

The reason for this potential liability on the part of the the manufacture.

Firearms can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

It is required that guns I sell have a gun cable lock.

I do not question ATF, I only comply and keep several gun locks on hand.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Also, these trigger locks were installed with the pin in FRONT of the trigger. Aren't the pins supposed to go behind so you can't just pull the trigger with the pin?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Those things are a scam. I'm sure the people making them are very happy about these rules though...

Mic
    Stupid things like this satisfy their insurance company, it's a liability issue.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The point of trigger locks is to apply a feel-good solution. They will barely slow down an 8 year-old kid and will make an inquisitive one try to defeat it faster.
    This sums it up nicely...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    Stupid things like this satisfy their insurance company, it's a liability issue.
    That is what I was thinking also.

They should call gun locks, ''shepherds'', they both make the sheep feel safe.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Also, these trigger locks were installed with the pin in FRONT of the trigger. Aren't the pins supposed to go behind so you can't just pull the trigger with the pin?
    Cable locks that come with all new pistols are to be installed through the open chamber and out the bottom of the grip with the magazine removed. A cable lock should never be be installed inside the trigger guard.

Trigger locks are all together different. I usually just throw them away.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Trigger locks are a hardware solution to a software problem.
    Something useless that Detroit PD can give away to reckless untrained people hoping no more toddlers are shot with Grandma's Glock.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Keltec had an interesting solution... a bushing with a hole in it fit behind the trigger and a pad lock went through that. Just find it funny the lock weighed more then the gun it was "making safe"
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

They save lives....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links