See HEAR now!

This is a discussion on See HEAR now! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Something I've been wondering about. I'm sure that when at a range or just plinking in the back yard, most of us wear hearing protection. ...

Thread: See HEAR now!

See HEAR now!

Something I've been wondering about. I'm sure that when at a range or just plinking in the back yard, most of us wear hearing protection. I'm also sure that in a practical situation...home break in, outside defense, etc. we are NOT protecting our ears. So, after firing without protection, how long is it until we get our normal hearing back?

I really would like to know how we are supposed to hear what the operator on the 911 line is saying to us after we have fired in defense of home and family? We are told to stay on the line, but how well can we hear what's being said?

I have experimented with shooting without protection (NOT much) on my small range, and find it really painful. Could not hear much for quite a while afterwards (OR is that just ME?).Would one hear an additional BG approaching after one exchanged fire with perp #1?

Thoughts please.

2. Remove Ads

I keep my Peltor Tac 6's near my HD pistol...if (big if) I have time to don them, I will.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    The phenomenon of auditory exclusion is pretty common in extreme stress situations. Often, people in gunfights don't hear the "loudness" that their gun (or other people's guns) makes - the body and mind work together to exclude damaging noise.

That said, if by some chance you do have the opportunity to don hearing protection, I would.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Homeowner: Yes officer, I was in fear of my life and was forced to make a one second decision when I shot this intruder.

LEO: I understand sir, but just how did you have time to put on your shooting glasses, electronic muffs, shooting vest, and set up your pistol tripod?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Homeowner: Yes officer, I was in fear of my life and was forced to make a one second decision when I shot this intruder.

LEO: I understand sir, but just how did you have time to put on your shooting glasses, electronic muffs, shooting vest, and set up your pistol tripod?
    LOL FUNNY
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

When I was a kid, I had never seen anybody with hearing gear on. Most of the time outside when I am plinking, I do not use hearing gear. In and indoor range I certainly would not shoot without it. But outside, not me, I like to hear the echo off the hills.

5,000 comedians out of work and this man just keeps crackin the jokes!!! Gotta luv it!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Hunters seldom wear hearing protection. Shouldn't be a problem that you can't live with. I'll take a little hearing damage over being dead any day.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Just depends on what you are shooting and the acoustics of the space allowing the sounds waves to be deflected back to youear.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    In a defensive situation the last thing likely to cross my mind could be hearing protection. That said shooting outdoors is less likely to cause hearing damage than say having to fire inside your home or from inside a vehicle.
    As far as time at the range, no way I would shoot or be around other shooters without it, even if it wasn't one of the safety regulations at my local range.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

The same way you manage to keep hitting your mouth with them doughnuts officer, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

Links