Odd meeting

This is a discussion on Odd meeting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to our local range last week to practice at lunch time. It is a public range owned by the conservation commission. When I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd meeting

Odd meeting

I went to our local range last week to practice at lunch time. It is a public range owned by the conservation commission. When I arrived there were 2 others there. They were on the 100yd lane with a .22 rifle. I went to the 25 yd lane to fire my pistol. When I finished the 2 men came over to talk to me as I was reloading my weapon. I finished, placed it in my holster said good bye and went on my way.

Here is what is strange. Today at the local carwash the older of the 2 gentlemen I meet at the range pulls in, approaches me and tells me that I pointed my weapon at him when we were talking.. He said that he was a former hunter ed instructor and thought he should tell me. I honestly never remember the pistol pointing anywhere but the ground as I reloaded then reholstered it. Why not tell me right then? If I did, it was careless on my part. I guess I'm just embarrassed that someone felt the need to stop and tell me I had done something wrong that I don't remember. Oh well one more reason to avoid strangers at the range. I don't approach or talk to folks I don't know until I see they are finished or have acknowledged me and say it's okay to come over.

2. Remove Ads

This does seem very strange to me also.

My contacts at the range have all been positive so far.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Seems odd, but take it with a grain of salt and move on. Hard to tell his motivation, but giving him the benefit of any doubt at least he thought enough of you to tell you, even if days after the fact.

I am extremely wary of my muzzle in all facets of gun handling. A year or more back I was gruffly yelled at by some nameless guy running the timer at an informal match that I was "waving my gun all over, and I pointed it at him." A friend behind us both failed to see my alleged offense as well... but in the spirit of safety and concern, I apologized profusely and thanked him for catching me doing something potentially dangerous.

My point is, you never know what the other guy thinks he may have seen, but at the range, safety is everyone's responsibility - we are all "empowered." Maybe you'll see him again at the range and you'll have some more positive chats.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

????????????? I have no problem telling someone who sweeps me but I tell them right now. If you wait you loose the effect.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I would have been on alert... be careful out there you never know when or where you will meet a crazy...
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    He sounds like a toolbag to me.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    He sounds like a toolbag to me.
    right to the point as usual

agreed
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I think he just wanted to tell you he was an instructor, a lot of instructors, guns or otherwise like to instruct..you know what i mean....ego maybe?
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

You obviously need to brush up on your people skills.
    You need to be able to to tell 'such individuals' where to go, in such a way, that they actually look forward to the trip...

If you are sure about not having done so (pointed a weapon at him), I wouldn't give it a second thought. Sounds like a guy with some 'problems'...give him some distance.IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    You are right, it sounds weird. Perhaps he just wanted to talk and feel important; I doubt he was a former instructor. I would not worry too much about it, but I should keep my eyes open next time I go to the range.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Not sure how big the town you live in is,But the chances of me running into somebody I saw at a gun range outside of the range is pretty astronomical,my spidey senses would be going haywire
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainman View Post
    Why not tell me right then?
    He is either lying or an idiot. If someone is acting badly in terms of saftey, I let them know ASAP!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I would have been on alert... be careful out there you never know when or where you will meet a crazy...
    That's what the wife said when I brought it up at dinner. This seems like a good reason to have a range buddy. I'll have to make her go more now

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Not sure how big the town you live in is,But the chances of me running into somebody I saw at a gun range outside of the range is pretty astronomical,my spidey senses would be going haywire
    That was my thought as well.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

i was told that by my son and his wife last year. bad thing about it it i supposedly happened 4 years ago. he is not anti by a long shot but she is. i didnt comment. i just considered the possibility of 3 years of living with a rabid anti- gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links