What Drives Me Bonkers...

This is a discussion on What Drives Me Bonkers... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; is letting the slide on an auto-loader slam shut by hitting the release on an empty chamber. I was told by a salesman when I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

is letting the slide on an auto-loader slam shut by hitting the release on an empty chamber. I was told by a salesman when I was 14 years old looking at some handguns not to drop the slide like that. It could damage the face or "mushroom" the chamber. I dont think this would actually happen, but ever since then, this has been a huge pet peeve of mine.

It happened today with a kid that came in and was looking at some firearms. Being Monday, it was slow and I was just walking around behind the counter listening to the conversation the salesman and this kid were having. He was looking at a Kimber with the slide open and he dropped the slide. It made a hellatious metallic bang, I am sure you all have heard it. Anyway, it was like nails on a chalk board! I wanted to grab the pistol and knock him on head with it! But I smiled and nodded.

This drives me bonkers! Just ease the slide forward if you want it forward. Its like slamming doors, no need. Release the slide like that when there is something in there like BRASS to slow down the slide and cushion the poor thing.

Does this drive you bonkers too? Tell me all about it!

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I was never taught not to do this, but a couple years ago when I got my first glock I read a story about the slide lock levers breaking when used in this manner. It was something about how the FBI (I think?) trained agents to hit the button to release the slide on a new mag, and that resulted in a lot of failures over time.

Ever since then, I have avoided using the slide lock lever to return the slide to battery on any pistol, loaded or not. Even if the possibility of damage is remote, I don't see the point in taking the chance. It is just as quick and easy to yank back on the slide when reloading, or ease it forward when not firing.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

No-no. this isnt what I was meaning. I use the slide release while reloading, sure. I dont know if it harms the release or not. I am talking about letting it drop on an empty chamber. This drives me nuts. Brass with cushion the slide and maybe slow it down so its not as painful. It also makes a different sound. Like I said, its like slamming the front door to your house. Makes my skin crawl!

i do it all the time. its how i dry fire :-D

Closing on an open chamber won't hurt anything....won't damage anything. The brass doesn't slow anything down.

However, I know what you are saying. You're in a gun shop looking at guns...and every time you hear the slide close, you're wondering if something has been dropped in the chamber...because you read on the internet how someone dropped a bullet in the chamber "to see how it fit".......thus, keeping your head on a swivel...

I guess it's one of those gunshop/show etiquette-things...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Doing it a few times probably won't damage anything. Doing it a lot may damage something.

When I installed the hammer, sear and disconnect in my 1911 I slammed the slide closed on an empty chamber twice to see if the sear would release. It didn't so its all good there. Otherwise I pull the slide back, let forward half way then release.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Im with you drives me nuts. And yes having a loaded mag in the gun absorbs some of the energy of the slide slaming shut, it is grabbing a bullet and putting it in the chamber.

Oh yeah and what Sigguy said Mag-Clip another thing that drives me nuts.
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

All of my semi autos let the slide slam shut every time I shoot them.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    I've been told that on some pistols it can damage the extractor.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    is letting the slide on an auto-loader slam shut by hitting the release on an empty chamber.
    I have never been taught this was a bad thing. Haven't ever worried about it. It didn't seem to make any difference in a Browning BDM 9mm that I had for nearly 40K rounds, in which frequent dry-fire exercises involved this sort of treatment. Didn't seem to have any effect, pro or con.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    I read this thread with interest as I just DID THIS with a Kahr at a gun shop. The salesman politely (but firmly) told me to not do it again. He probably went into the back room and screamed.

I had not heard before not to do that - and not all gun store guys will tell you not to, in fact some do it themselves.

Thanks for the post.

(one more vote for revolvers)

VIP Member
    I suppose you could chalk this up to 'gun ettiquete'.

I know a bunch of crusty old vets who will let theirs slam with regularity. 'Always have, always will.

It just makes sense to be gentle with something that you don't own, and don't do things that draw attention to yourself.

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Closing on an open chamber won't hurt anything....won't damage anything. The brass doesn't slow anything down.

However, I know what you are saying. You're in a gun shop looking at guns...and every time you hear the slide close, you're wondering if something has been dropped in the chamber...because you read on the internet how someone dropped a bullet in the chamber "to see how it fit".......thus, keeping your head on a swivel...

I guess it's one of those gunshop/show etiquette-things...
    I completely agree, the gun is designed to function like that, if your afraid that letting the slide "slam" forward will damage the gun then I recommend you get a better gun. There are many "myths" about this subject, (my armorer at work believes them too) but sense I've completed the Glock armorer course I tell him he's full of it, other manufacturers my differ but I doubt it.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

I always capture the slide between my thumb and middle finger to allow just enough action without the slam. Just seems like the right thing to do with a pistol that doesn't belong to me. Am I worried about mine if I was to do it, probably not, but it's just a habit not to let it slam shut. I respectfully disagree that the action isn't slowed down by chambering a round. It absolutely is. To the degree, who knows. I'm sure it changes from pistol to pistol and is based on the recoil spring itself.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

To me, it is akin to flipping the cylinder shut on a wheelgun.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links