Right or left eye dominance?

This is a discussion on Right or left eye dominance? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Determining your Dominant Eye Does it make any difference? I'm very definitely right eye dominant. I'm also ambidextrous. And confused. Az...

Determining your Dominant Eye

Does it make any difference?

I'm very definitely right eye dominant. I'm also ambidextrous. And confused.

Az

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    <<<< Left eye dominant, Right handed shooter.

this is a very common topic. do some searching around the forum and you are bound to find other posts. being left eye dominent & right handed (or vice versa), is much less of a problem for handguns as it is for longguns. it just means that really the way your body stance is and how your gun lines up isnt optimal, but really works just fine. Tons of people have this and shoot just fine and dont even know about it.

I have a much stranger problem. I am neither left nor right eye dominent. Its strange and hard to explain, but for shooting what it comes down to the fact that I cannot shoot with both eyes open and see the sights. I have had a million people argue with me and say it just takes practice. Beleave me, I have stared at an empty guns sights in my room every night until i get a headache. I have done every trick out there it is to train the eyes, and I have done every thick out there to figure out which eye is dominent. But when it comes down to it, it I close my left eye, lines up the sights, and even then slightly open my left eye, my dominance will switch to my left eye, as a left eyed persons would do. If I do it with my right, same thing. I have done every other trick to figure out which eye I am as well.
    So what this means for me, is that i shoot with one eye closed or at least squinted. Its better to have both open, but such is life, its not that big of a deal.
    What it does provide me with, however, is excellent vision (ei, seeing / reading things far away). But don't throw a ball at me. hand-eye quardination i have not.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I know in baseball it makes a big difference in hitting.

I'm right eye dominant and left handed. I also struggled to figure out which eye was dominant as whatever I did the dominance seemed to flip-flop back and forth. It drove me nuts! Finally I stumbled across what works for me. I simply lean the gun towards my right eye a bit. Since I tried that I haven't had any more troubles. I can now shoot with both eyes wide open. It did take a while for the muscle memory to adapt to the slight change in stance but it was worth the effort!
    Question Everything!

what exactly do you mean by "lean the gun towards my right eye a bit"?
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    what exactly do you mean by "lean the gun towards my right eye a bit"?
    He means that the gun is canted toward his right eye.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I never really paid any attention before, I just used left eye with left hand and right eye with right hand even though I'm extremely right eye dominant.

But today at the range I noticed that I shoot right handed/right eyed with both eyes open. To combat the dominance of the right eye, while shooting lefty, I closed my right eye.

I guess I've been doing this all along and never really thought about it.

Az

I'm right eye dominant and right handed, and here's an additional trick I learned.

If you focus your eyes on the front sight, you will see a double image of your target. If you're like me, aim at the image you see on the right. If you're left eye dominant and left handed, aim at the image on the left. Maintain your focus on the front site.

I've practiced shooting left handed as well. If you focus on the front sight, you will notice that not only is there a double image of the target, there is also a double image of the gun. If shooting right handed, use the image of the gun on the left, and aim at the image of the target on the right. If shooting left handed, use the image of the gun on the right and aim at the image of the target on the left.

I've had a lot of success with this method.

I always used to shoot right handed, with my right eye closed and sighted with my left eye. I always had "so-so" results.... kept shooting that was as it felt "natural".

Went to the range with a bunch of pals on Saturday and decided to try shooting with BOTH EYES OPEN and turned my head a bit to the left and sight with my right eye...... what a huge difference! The target seemed clearer, my shots were much more accurate and tightly bunched, and it felt natural.

I am left eye dominate and primarily left handed. I can do most things, including shooting with either hand, but I cannot close my left eye with my right eye open so I am trying to train myself to shoot handguns with both eyes open.

Links