Browning BDA?

This is a discussion on Browning BDA? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While doing my search for the .40 Browning Hi Power I came upon an available to order Browning BDA in .380 and it is very ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning BDA?

Browning BDA?

While doing my search for the .40 Browning Hi Power I came upon an available to order Browning BDA in .380 and it is very pretty.

But I have never really heard much about them at all, except for a fictional character in a book series I read carries one.

I want it. LOL I don't need it at all, I know it's a .380... but I don't need another carry gun, I just want this one to have and to hold from this day forward..... I am hoping someone can tell me fabulous things so I can talk it up to hubby.

I have bought 4 guns in the last 40 days and I just ordered the .40 Browning, so I am needing some info to reasonably convince him I need this gun too. Help!
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

2. Remove Ads

No one knows anything about these? Good or bad?
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Not sure what you're looking for, but it's a Beretta 84 made for Browning. Big for a .380 and it's got a blowback action (like the little Walthers, etc.) so it's not exactly a modern design.

The Browning edition is a little nicer looking than the Beretta, but to the best of my knowledge it's not currently offered by Browning. I'm sure there are some sitting on dealer shelves, though, and it took about 30 seconds to find a half-dozen on GunBroker.

If you like it, go for it, just recognize that it doesn't carry the real panache of a Saint John Browning design (like the Hi-Power or Baby Browning).

Sorry I can't offer up "fabulous" - but who ever needed any more motivation to get a PPK after reading the 007 novels?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

You can go here to read some opinions of owners. I have one and love it. It's a great little gun, though not really practical for CC because of it's size and weight. If you get it, magazines for the Beretta 84 fit it and Midway USA carries Mec-Gar magazines for it.

Here are a couple of photos of mine:

Scratching was done by Jim Downing, a great guy. The gun is accurate for it's size and I've never had a feed or ejection problem. While the 380 isn't the most potent round in the world, with a capacity of 13+1 that's a fair amount of firepower for a small handgun.

To the best of my knowledge, this gun is no longer offered by Browning. You can still find new ones if you look around. Davidson's currently lists 4 of them and best price through a local dealer to me is $654.00.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Many years ago I owned a Browning BDA and it was an excellent gun. Very well made, reliable and acurate. And, it was a great looking gun but I sold it. I just felt it was too big and heavy to lug around for a .380. Too many other smaller, lighter. easily concealed and just as well constructed .380s were out there. I use my guns. If I were more of a collector, I guess I wouldn't mind owning one again.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

I actually have a PPK/s so I am familiar with the blowback design. I have a Hi Power 9mm and have a .40 on order. I was drawn to it because it was a Browning and I liked the way it looks. I am not really planning to CC, it's just a 'want'. (Hey I am woman, we get like this.) Nice to know there are other mags that work. I also found several available through Davidson's and I think that was about the price I got. I am going to wait for my Hi Power to come in and I think I will get this next. Just for fun. Thanks.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    You can go here to read some opinions of owners. I have one and love it. It's a great little gun, though not really practical for CC because of it's size and weight. If you get it, magazines for the Beretta 84 fit it and Midway USA carries Mec-Gar magazines for it.

Here are a couple of photos of mine:

Scratching was done by Jim Downing, a great guy. The gun is accurate for it's size and I've never had a feed or ejection problem. While the 380 isn't the most potent round in the world, with a capacity of 13+1 that's a fair amount of firepower for a small handgun.

To the best of my knowledge, this gun is no longer offered by Browning. You can still find new ones if you look around. Davidson's currently lists 4 of them and best price through a local dealer to me is $654.00.

Hoss
    That's really nice! Thanks for all the info, I do appreciate it.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    - Aristotle

The BDA also comes in a nickel finish. If this works, there are several of them on GunsAmerica and GunBroker.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I have a nickel plated one and absolutely enjoy shooting and owning it.

Just tell your husband that he is the best husband in the world. He will tell you to buy the gun.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

A nickel BDA was my first centerfire pistol in the mid '80s. When it wouldn't make a hedgeapple even move, and a .22lr hp would explode one, I traded it for a NIB Smith 686. Too big to be that feeble.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

I have had mine for several years and had it cleaned and back in the safe. It is the nickel finish. Just to pretty to be shot ,but when I did it was a great shooter.

I've got the Beretta 84 that this thing apparently clones. Great little gun, reliable and pleasant to shoot. Nothing especially bad to say about it, just don't like the safety on it.

My father has had a nickle BDA for almost 30 years. Beautiful and flawless gun. Never had a single FTF and one of if not the most accurate gun I've shot. Not Ideal for carry because of its weight and thickness (double stack) but just beautiful. No conplaints from my family bout it. I learned to shoot with it.

I'm thinking of getting one of these. I was drawn to the 84FS, but like slide mounted safety on the Browning and the fact that the up position is fire while down is safe (same as my .45 Ruger P90).

If I get one, it will be in exchange for my CZ82 (which is a GREAT example and an excellent shooter), which I love - except for the weak safety.

Does the Browning model safety also act as a de-cocker?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links