Glock G22or M&P .40?

Glock G22or M&P .40?

This is a discussion on Glock G22or M&P .40? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm planning on getting a .40 pistol soon, primarily as a range firearm and HD if needed. I've narrowed my choice to the Glock 22, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock G22or M&P .40?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Exclamation Glock G22or M&P .40?

I'm planning on getting a .40 pistol soon, primarily as a range firearm and HD if needed. I've narrowed my choice to the Glock 22, Gen 4, and the M&P full size .40. I consider both as very similar firearms.

Both firearms are close in price (both offer a retired Mil. discount), the difference is not a factor. My intent is to get both the 9mm and 357 Sig barrels for whichever I get. I like the idea of the versatility. Both have the interchangeable backstraps for enhanced fit. Neither has external safeties and are otherwise similar. I don't have a problem dryfiring the Glock to fieldstrip it (a moot point in my opinion).

Glock:
    1. I have a G30 and love it, although I'm having fits trying to get it to feed reloads with the Storm Lake barrel, bought for that purpose. Factory ammo goes through it like the proverbial crap through a goose.
    2. I don't care about looks, Glock or otherwise. If I was concerned, I'd get a nice engraved revolver. Nor do I have an issue with the feel of the Glock grip; I'm adaptable.
    3. Conversion barrels are cheaper, as are the needed 9mm mags for the conversion.
    4. Reports are out there that the Gen 4 is having a problem in the 9mm (uses the same recoil spring as the .40) and that could be an issue if true.
    5. One year factory warranty?

M&P .40:
    1. Problems with rust (sights) and dropped mags in early production. Supposed to be cleared up now.
    2. Ergonomics are supposed to be great. Haven't picked one up yet, but then again, I'm adaptable.
    3. Conversion barrels cost more, as do extra mags.
    4. M&P has had its problems early on, but I think it's worked its way past them by now.
    5. S&W lifetime warranty?

Looking for real input to help make a decision, not the "I heard" internet myths that are so popular. Not planning on attaching a light, which apparently has been a problem with the G22.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Mic
    I just plain prefer Glock. I own a gen3 G22 and love it, usaly shoot ball ammo at the range but have fired about 200rds of 180gr Federal Hydrashok and it dose fine with the LE grade ammo. Don't know if the reported probs with gen 4 Glock's are true or not, I haven't heard first hand from anyone I know about any issues. If you already own a Glock then your half sold.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

kpw
    I'll get a chance on a Gen 4 G22 Saturday. My BIL just bought one. The M&P .40 is a good one. The only way to know for sure is to shoot them yourself. Not much of an answer but I can only give you my preference. I'll let you know how that Gen 4 is compared to his Gen 2 G22.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Just makes sense to go Glock.

M&P , all the way, the warranty itself is enough ,you cant do better than a lifetime warranty,I have never been a Glock fan and a 1 year warranty just makes it that much worse.Even a Hi Point has a lifetime warranty LOL
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by rednecksport View Post
    M&P , all the way, the warranty itself is enough ,you cant do better than a lifetime warranty,I have never been a Glock fan and a 1 year warranty just makes it that much worse.Even a Hi Point has a lifetime warranty LOL
    A lot of companies offer a one year warranty but, in fact, take care of problems many years after the warranty is up. Ruger has no written warranty at all but their CS has a very good reputation. A "lifetime warranty" is a nice selling point but really isn't needed when dealing with reputable companies that stand by their products and customers.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    From your other posts, we know you love that G30. I would think going Glock again would be a no-brainer. For me the next Glock is not a matter of if, but when.

Thanks for the tip on the Storm Lake barrel. I'm thinking about Lone Wolf for mine.

I am the proud new owner of a Gen 3 Glock 22

Hi there. I did not look at the Smith & Wesson M&P, but having just purchased a G22 I will say this. I am in love.

I did go to the range and shoot a variety of semi-autos, and every size of the Glock family before making my decision. I rented and shot the G22 on two different occasions to confirm for myself that this was the size (full) and caliber (.40) I wanted.

Although it will likely be a while before I get to the point of purchasing additional barrels/conversion kits for other calibers, that was also a factor for me in choosing this gun.

This is just a dream to shoot. I just had my CCW permit/NRA First Steps training class, and although I will not say the instructor thinks I'm the best shot he's ever seen, he did show a healthy respect for my ability to shoot accurately with a higher caliber gun, being utterly new to gun ownership. I think I owe a lot of that ability to the way the Glock is made and how it handles, and less to any innate ability of my own.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

I purchased the M&P over a Glock, but that doesn't mean that I would never own a Glock. I do like the grip of my M&P over the Glock though.

If you want extra mags, often S&W offers a coupon for 2 extra mags with purchase.

VIP Member
    My M&P 40 was awesome! I had about 6k of rounds through it and I only had one FTFeed and that was my fault rushing the mag change. I sold it to get a 1911 race gun that has been at the gunsmith for a year. Boy was I stupid! Glock has a pretty sketchy reputation with .40s. I would pick the M&P for sure.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

They are both good guns. Buy whichever one you like and you'll be happy.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the Storm Lake barrel. I'm thinking about Lone Wolf for mine.
    I don't know that the problem is the barrel, SL or any other brand. This is my first experience reloading for an auto, so I think the problem may be reloader induced. I've been loading low-power loads, and that may be part of the problem. Still experimenting on that aspect; my latest loads have a bit more powder. I've "heard" that the G30 is not a great gun for feeding lead, but that remains to be seen.

I'd be happy with either as long as it works. I'm not, like some, a hard-core Glock fan. I think it's a great gun, but so are some others. The G30 fit my needs and desires at the time I bought it. But I'm will to shoot other makes; i just don't want to end up unhappy with my choice.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

kpw
    I had a chance to spend some time with a Gen 4 G22 today. I like it!
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member
    I'm about to post an H&K USP 40 for sale with .... well less than 300 through it in case you want to scramble your eggs a bit more on choices. 3 mags and a Blackhawk holster included.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

The Washington State Patrol went from the HK USP to the M&P 40 just a few months ago. Its a slow process but many of my friends (WSP LEO's) just received theirs and love it. I shot one a while back and didnt like it so much. After they switched, I am taking another look. Must be something they like about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links