AD v. ND

This is a discussion on AD v. ND within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; mostly semantics and matters little what you call it if someone gets hurt. I do think there is a difference if you wanna split hairs ...

View Poll Results: Is there such a thing as Accidental Discharge?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • AD's happen.

44 33.85%
  • There is no such thing as AD all ar Negligent Discharge.

86 66.15%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AD v. ND

mostly semantics and matters little what you call it if someone gets hurt. I do think there is a difference if you wanna split hairs though. I've had what I think could be called an AD, but never an ND.

I was at the range with a friend and her new Taurus- a gun I'd never handled or fired. I stepped up to the line and loaded it, prepared to fire and squeezed the trigger and -nothing. I tried again...checked everything...it just no go bang. I kept the weapon pointed downrange and called her over. I said it doesn't work, she said "what?" I squeezed the trigger several times while saying "See? It just won't -" BANG! Surprised the heck out of me.

that gun just has a terrible trigger and a 50 pound pull. Surprised the heck out me...i violated none of the rules and cant say i acted negligently, but i truly didn't think that thing was gonna go off so I will say the discharge was accidental.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    While I believe there is no such thing as "accidentally" pulling
    the trigger , guns do break and thus there ARE on rare occasions
    accidental discharges.
    Thats' closest to my opinion. There are accidental discharges, they just are very rare. 99.9% of discharges are not accidental, but negligent.

ADs happen when there is a mechanical failure or design flaw of the gun, which causes it to fire through no fault of the owner. these are possible, and cdan happen.

NDs happen through pure carelessness, and is entirely the fault of the owner.

ADs/NDs aren't a matter of semantics; there is a very real difference between the two.

AD's may occasionally happen, just like winning the lottery in two different states on the same day...not often...but mechanical failures have been known to happen.
    Usually, careless people want to refer to a ND as an AD...but they most certainly are...ND's.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; February 27th, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I voted no AD, but I would like to change my vote. Some manufacturers have had recalls lately for accidental discharge --LCP-- I'm looking at you.
    So I believe that some manufacturers can have entire product lines that are bad. And if that can happen, then surely a single unit out of a line can be bad, and prone to accidental discharge.

Although I believe most of the time it is ND instead of AD, but it is still possible.

EDIT- Wow looks like Ruger is the King of accidental discharge. They even recommend not chambering a round.
    Last edited by maddyfish; February 27th, 2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    If that kind of tragedy occurred while I was holding that Remington, I just couldn't take it: I'd like to think I'd have the guts to fire the 700 one very last time that morning; but it wouldn't be an accidental or a negligent discharge...

-Bill
    Not if you have other kids that need you....
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

there are two types of HOLY SHOOT OOPS!!!

Negligent Discharges and Mechanical Malfunciton-Breakages

The answer of it just went off!! Statistically doesn't happen unless your finger or some other snag pulls the trigger. That means you are not in control of your weapon and should have been more vigilant.

I will aquiess that it is possible to have breakage or wear that could cause a round to fire, but they are few and very far between.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Mechanical failures are highly exaggerated, People don't like the word negligent. Don't be negligent in your inspections and maintenance routine. If you don't know what your inspecting, pay to have a regular inspection done at a smith like you do with your car, furnace or any other piece of mission critical equipment.

There are no accidents even with mechanical failures.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A stupid play on words much like ongoing firearm/weapon argument.

Accident are, in general, caused by negligence, but if there was no intent, it's still an accident.

Leave these silly arguments to the lawyers. They get paid a great deal to make stupid plays on words.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    The only thing I would consider to be an accidental discharge is a mechanical malfunction, all else are through negligence.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Didn't vote in the poll. Most are ND's but AD's do happen.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

AD is when it happens to you.

ND is when it happens to someone else.

Pax:

Excellent list of the possibilities.

You are spot on with the descriptions, and they make each of us think and act even more carefully than normal.

Just watched a special where a deer rifle went without input from the owner. The discharge was able to be duplicated by crime lab. Guys wife was killed.

Now how many people believe in automobile accidents?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

When no charges are filed it is an AD.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links