AD v. ND - Page 3

AD v. ND

This is a discussion on AD v. ND within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As another person who had a Remington 700 go off when closing the bolt I have to say that it can happen. This was with ...

View Poll Results: Is there such a thing as Accidental Discharge?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • AD's happen.

44 33.85%
  • There is no such thing as AD all ar Negligent Discharge.

86 66.15%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AD v. ND

As another person who had a Remington 700 go off when closing the bolt I have to say that it can happen. This was with a late 60's to early 70's rifle.

Michael

PM
    I voted for ND; in that most are stupid (reckless to use a term from above) happenings. Trigger movement occurs from flesh or fabric or ??. Something breaks within the firearm it is still an ND in that someone was Negligent in the manufacture the part or assembly of the firearm. I once had a safety break on a 30.06 rifle; either the part or something was bad.

cj
    Pax's list works for me. I believe ADs are EXTREMELY rare, but are possible...which is just another reason for always following the 4 rules. The most dangerous instances of ADs I occasionally see are when a firearm, with no one touching it, manage to fire one or more times. You can help where the first shot goes, but the subsequent shots are a bad lottery.

Accidents happen...due to neglence sometimes. No sense arguing symantics...at least I don't think so.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

An AD is a mechanical failure of the firearm. A ND is negligence or carelessness that led to the discharge.

Had a firing pin broke on a S&W 22A after around 10,000 rounds and when i chambered a round the firing pin was stuck past the breech face,gun discharged,but was pointed down range,I examined the gun and noticed the problem

I had a RIA 1911 45 compact drop muzzle first on the bathroom floor with enough inertia to overcome the factory firing pin spring causing the gun to discharge
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    There is no such thing as AD all are Negligent Discharge.
    Say I'm unloading it to clean it, and I accidentally set it off. I would consider that an accident.

As opposed to being stupid with it... to me that would be negligent.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    An accident is something that happens that you have no control over. It is possible you could somehow be caused to accidently fire a firearm.

A negligent discharge is when you do something illadvised or stupid to cause your firearm to go off unintentionally. That is not an accident.

Two distinct and seperate events, therefore, both exist. It isn't a perfect world.

VIP Member
    Case in point:

Last night I took my LCP out of it's normal residence in my right rear pocket to clean it. Step one for me is to unload it and take the ammo into a seperate room from where I'll do the cleaning. As I took it out of the holster to unload it, the muzzle bumped against the back of the chair next to me and the loaded, (round in chamber) gun went flipping through the air and landed approximately on the butt (aimed at me) on the concrete floor of my basement.

Fortunately, Ruger makes a quality firearm and not only did it not fire, the mark that it left on the pistol, rubbed right off (even though the mark it left on the floor is permenant).

Had I shot myself, would I have been negligent or would this have been an accident? (that I'm clumsy, is a given)

BTW, I love this little gun more than ever now

Honestly, in 40+ years of handling guns, this is the first time that I've ever dropped one. Ironic that it happened while this thread is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Case in point:

Last night I took my LCP out of it's normal residence in my right rear pocket to clean it. Step one for me is to unload it and take the ammo into a seperate room from where I'll do the cleaning. As I took it out of the holster to unload it, the muzzle bumped against the back of the chair next to me and the loaded, (round in chamber) gun went flipping through the air and landed approximately on the butt (aimed at me) on the concrete floor of my basement.

Fortunately, Ruger makes a quality firearm and not only did it not fire, the mark that it left on the pistol, rubbed right off (even though the mark it left on the floor is permenant).

Had I shot myself, would I have been negligent or would this have been an accident? (that I'm clumsy, is a given)

BTW, I love this little gun more than ever now

Honestly, in 40+ years of handling guns, this is the first time that I've ever dropped one. Ironic that it happened while this thread is going on.
    Hitting yourself would have been labeled accidental. Had you hit an innocent other than yourself and an attorney became it involved would then be labeled "negligent".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    Hitting yourself would have been labeled accidental. Had you hit an innocent other than yourself and an attorney became it involved would then be labeled "negligent".
    Bingo!

I would think that most "accidents" of any kind are due to some type of "negligence". Someone wasn't paying attention or doing what they were expected to do causing the accident to happen. Semantics as someone said.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links