Ipsc-idpa

This is a discussion on Ipsc-idpa within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been really getting interested in trying this, been out with my G17 and my G26 working on my skills. Do any of you shoot ...

Thread: Ipsc-idpa

Ipsc-idpa

I've been really getting interested in trying this, been out with my G17 and my G26 working on my skills. Do any of you shoot either of these and what is the real big difference in the 2. I have read up on them, just looking for for more insight.....

My local gun club shoots IPSC rules and there is a IDPA club the next town over, about 70 miles, going over to the IDPA match this coming weekend.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    IDPA has more of a defensive focus - the gear rules are heavily weighted towards pistols, holsters and ammo carriers that you would actually carry on the street. The vast majority of shooting stages in IDPA start with the gun concealed. Course design is done with an overall intent to provide plausible defensive scenarios.

IPSC has less stringent gear requirements, and does not require concealment. Courses are not designed with defensive shooting in mind. IPSC does have production pistol divisions that shoot essentially stock guns, but they also have divisions that permit firearms and holsters that would be completely unsuitable for carry.

IDPA has (at present) no rifle or shotgun classes, where IPSC does. Some IDPA clubs run rifle or shotgun stages, though.

Try them both and see what you like. Either way, you get to meet some good folks and have fun shooting. Both also get you off of the square range and out shooting on the move, shooting moving targets, etc.

And they are both fun. I've gravitated to IDPA, but you might find you prefer IPSC and there is nothing wrong with that.....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    I like both but I find IDPA to be a bit boring. I also find IDPA to be a bit stuffy. I prefer IPSC because it is a little more loose. You need to try both and decide for yourself.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Both USPSA and IDPA are games that will improve your shooting and gun handling skills.

Try both if you can. Find what suits your needs and go for it.

Have fun,
    Dave

I am going to the FN 3 Gun Match in MO!! I dont think I will stand a chance, but, who knows! Just thought I would thorw that in there...

A few years back I was reading the USPSA vs. IDPA comparisons. Seems each particular member(s) says his is best. So, for a year I shot USPSA and the following year I tried IDPA. They are similar in that a gun is used...period. As stated from the above members their descriptions are accurate. I believe it comes down to personal choice. I found USPSA to be faster pace, more ammo needed, more mags/holders and reloading was a quick magazine drop and move, move, move. IDPA has stricter rule guidelines, but maybe more real life regarding cover concealment, etc. I do think the mag reloading methods are stupid, but that's the rules. You forget...PENALITY! Reloading from behind cover is a good habit/procedure to learn. In closing, you need to try both to make the call which is best for you, not someone else. I may get back into the game, but ammo prices made me leave. Good luck.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

The above posts are accurate. I just want to add that both are games and neither mimic real life self defense training. They will, however, make you an excellent shooter/gun handler. And, for what it's worth I prefer IDPA.

Naking--that depends largely ont the club. We run solid defensive stages in about 1/3 of the match, 1/3 "just for fun", and 1/3 exercises and/or run n gun for the USPSA types (me). We normally run 10-12 stages.

Now, for the original post--yes, I've shot a G17 and a G27 in IDPA, and I shoot USPSA Limited with a G35. Teh biggest problem with the G27 was getting a consistent grip off the draw. It's not accuracy, as the G27 shoots just fine. It's fun, and different; I've shot it twice with the BUG. Try it!
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

My teenage sons and I shoot USPSA with our S&W M&P 9mm. It is a great deal of fun and a great way to improve your shooting skills. I have found that the folks who participate are a great group of folks with various skill levels - you can always pick up a few tips on gear, tactics, etc.

We have several LEO and military who regulary participate, along with several Master class shooters. ( great to watch those guys run the course).

Give it a try - you won't be disappointed.:\
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

Well, I appreciate all the input!!!! I'm really stoked on giving this a try. I'm going to head over to the IDPA match this weekend, may not shoot, just watch and learn the basics, try to get a feel for the sport, work on a few things and give it a shot at the next match. There is a IDPA match on the first weekend of the month and a IPSC match the forth weekend.... I think it will be fun and benificial.....Better head to Walmart and try to start stocking up on ammo!!!! Thanks again!!!

VIP Member
    I've said I was going to just go watch a match in the past- and someone gave me great advice. You can plan on watching, but bring your gear. You'll get there and want to shoot- and most clubs are open to helping a newbie out.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I've said I was going to just go watch a match in the past- and someone gave me great advice. You can plan on watching, but bring your gear. You'll get there and want to shoot- and most clubs are open to helping a newbie out.
    I did think about that. I am going to take my 17 and plenty of ammo....you know, just in case.....

Senior Moderator
    At the clubs I shoot IPDA matches, a "new shooters" brief is held either before or after the all shooter's brief. Just let the folks running the match know you are a new IDPA shooter, and they will make sure you get taken care of.

Make sure you let the SO in your squad knows you are new, and they should provide some extra help when you run through each stage.

When you arrive for the match, you will need to locate a "safe table" where you can uncase your pistol and holster it. Keep in mind that the only time you can handle your firearm at a match is at a safe table, or under the immediate direction of an SO. No ammo may be handled at a safe table. You can load magazines anywhere else, just not at a safe table.

If you are carrying a loaded, concealed pistol to the match you'll need to find out ahead of time what the range's policy is. One place I shoot IDPA has a strict "no loaded guns" policy, and I have to unload the gun before driving on the range. The others provide an "unloading area" where those who arrive with a loaded firearm can unload it before entering the match area itself.

Most of all, take a deep breath and have fun!

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I think everyone covered it. I myself prefer IDPA though, as you can literally use the gear you carry every day. Though still not quite real life, the scenarios get you fun trigger time and will help with skills at least a bit.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Links