2010 Ruger MkIII 22/45 Target review & pics

This is a discussion on 2010 Ruger MkIII 22/45 Target review & pics within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ruger 22/45 Replaceable Panels Rimfire Pistol Models Background/Purchase: Earlier in the week I decided to get a 22 pistol "for my husband" . I was ...

Thread: 2010 Ruger MkIII 22/45 Target review & pics

Thumbs up 2010 Ruger MkIII 22/45 Target review & pics

Ruger 22/45 Replaceable Panels Rimfire Pistol Models

Background/Purchase:
    Earlier in the week I decided to get a 22 pistol "for my husband" . I was taking a look at my local gun store's selection of .22 pistols for some cheap target shooting. I was looking for something under $400 that would shoot straight, be reliable, and if possible, feel somewhat similar to my 1911.
    I first took a look at the walther P22. I have had this gun before and don't mind it, but really wanted something that felt.. well... more like a real gun. So I noted the $340 (used) and $420 (new) price tags on them and moved on.
    Next I looked at the various used mkIII pistols. There were 3 available, and none of them were quite what I wanted. They were $400-500 and all had some feature I didnt want (laser grips, shorter barrel, or hunter model w/ the sights I don’t like).
    I then noticed something new in the case. A Puma 1911 .22 pistol. At $300 I had my suspicions, so I picked it up. It felt JUST like a 1911 . I did however, very much doubt its reliability. (I later went home and researched them, confirming my suspicions. They are known to be hit or miss, not all that accurate, etc )
    I had been doing some research previously and was drooling over the Ruger MkIII 22/45 version. I asked the guy behind the counter and he said he would look up the price for me. The cheapest version (bull barrel normal grips) was $270, but they were out right now. The bull barrel with interchangeable grips was $300. Surprised at the price tag, I told him to go ahead and order me one. He required no down payment, and actually went again and got two, knowing he would sell it right away. I ordered the pistol I think on Wed and it came in Fri.

First Impressions
    All I can say is
    This is one swanky looking gun I have to admit. I was impressed with everything. The grips that came on it looked SO much nicer than the standard plastic ones. WELL worth the extra $30. It felt perfect in my hand. Just like a 1911, just without the normal safety position. If you don’t know much about the MkIII, it has a bolt, not a slide that cycles when you fire. This is of course one more difference, and is also why the safety is different, but it’s worth it. This bolt style 22 is quite a bit more accurate than one with a slide.
    The frame is polymer, but seems very nice and honestly I'm not worried about that one bit.
    Here are some pictures of the beauty...

At the Range
    Straight out of the box, I cycled the bolt by hand a few times, stuck a full mag in, and fired away. I had absolutely no problems with the gun.
    Again it felt great in the hand, and even better pulling the trigger. This IS of course a factory gun so the trigger isn't going to be like my kimber's, and I was expecting that. I was very pleased with the trigger anyways. It broke very smooth and I couldn't ask for anything more. The sights lined up SO natural with this 1911 grip angle and every shot went where I told it to.
    Note: I didn't say every shot hit the middle of the bullseye. I have not shot in about a year, so I was out of practice. I did, however, shoot a LOT better than I expected to, and after a few mags I was shooting within a 2" diameter fairly easily. Sorry I forgot to take pics of my target. This gun was more accurate than I am by a long shot, and that’s what matters

Assembly/Disassembly
    I hear people complain about assembling and disassembling these guns all the time. When I was still in school I was the president of a pistol club that used all MkIIs, so I was somewhat used to it and was not afraid. There is only a very small annoyance IMO with disassembling the gun, and that is most of them, especially new, will either take some muscle or a small rubber mallet (or gently tapping on table with towel around it) to take it apart. It really only takes a few taps and isn’t a big deal at all. What most people have trouble with is assembling it and getting the hammer strut in the correct place. If you do it wrong you will either not be able to get the mainspring housing in, or when you do, your bolt will not come back.
    DO NOT BE AFRAID.
    Doing this is actually VERY simple and takes very little time once you have done it a few times. I have a very small piece of advice for you. READ THE DIRECTIONS.
    My husband, who to my knowledge has never taken apart and put back together any semi-auto before, did it his first try with no problems.

Reliability
    I have now had this gun for three days so I can't say much about it's reliability. I can speak in general for the Ruger MkII and MkIII. As I said, the range I worked at while I was in school used the MkII (and later mkIII). These guns will hold up to anything. Each gun fired hundreds and hundreds of rounds every evening for years. They didn't get cleaned near as often as they needed to, and the only reason the club every replaced them (upgrading to the MkIII) was because we received a bunch of funding to. The guns very rarely had any problems. If they ever started to stovepipe or have any other malfunctions it was because they hadn't been cleaned in 1000+ rounds.

Overall, I would recommend this pistol to anyone, especially 1911 shooters who want a cheap reliable 22 pistol with a 1911 feel.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

2. Remove Ads

AzB
    Thanks for the review. I've been thinking about getting a .22 for target shooting and for teaching newbies (like my wife!) and this looks like a good one. I'll put it on my list.

Az

VIP Member
    Excellent review. Thanks for taking the time.

I agree that they are a very nice .22 pistols. I had to laugh when I read your little bit of advice regarding re-assembly. I think the only people that have long lasting problems with it, skip that particular step!

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Love the 22/45 I bought for my kids...very accurate and a sweet shooter out of the box.
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

cmb
    I have a 22/45 slab side and love it, we have a MKII pistol, and a MKII target stainless, love them all and really like the new look. I am more accurate with my pistol than with open sight rifles at 50 yds...

Nice gun. I have the Mark III Bull Barrel target model and love it!

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Excellent review.

Your husband is a very fortunate man

surv

im a very fortunate wife to have a husband that puts up with my gun nuttiness
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Thanks for the review. The Ruger looks and sounds excellent. I'm looking to add another .22 pistol to the mix with my two Buck Marks and wanted to try a Ruger this time. This one may be the ticket.

Ruger MkIII22/45

I bought one back in 1995 after I had surgery to fuse C4 to C5 in my neck due to a ruptured disc. The doctor told me not to shoot any heavy recoiling guns for 90 days to let my neck heal. I got this gun to keep active and have something to shoot when I wanted to. I shoot it about once a year and have several Bricks of ammo for it. It is great to shoot for a change of pace.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

My brother in law has one. Every time he takes it apart to clean, he calls me to re-assemble it again. He has read the instructions, but he still cannot re-assemble this gun.
    I have been considering getting one for myself. If I do I will try to eliminate the magazine disconnect that they now have. It would make re-assembly a bit easier.
    We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now able to do anything with nothing.

No doubt, it shoots better than my plain black Mark III with similar plain plastic grips, but not as good as those pretty shiny stainless steel ones do...the ones that are too pretty to shoot. Oh, Ruger was nice and sent me replacement rear sights, after I broke the rear ones while pounding on my gun to get it back together again, and not talking to it like a friend.

Altough this thread has been dead for a bit, I thought of something that I wanted to add...
    The mkIII does have a mag dissconnect safety (will not fire if there is no mag in it). On any self defense gun, this would piss me off and I would certainly not get it for that reason. However, this is my 22 plinking gun. This is the gun I use to teach people how to shoot. Although anyone I teach to shoot has had lots of instruction before getting ammo in their hand, and I am always right by them, this is still an excellent safety to have. It is WAY too easy for a noob to get sick of shooting, take the mag out, and forget that there is still one in the chamber. For this reason I am very glad they put this safety on the 22. It is not useful for me when I shoot it, and obviously it would be terrible for a self defense gun, but for this application it is great.
    The only annoyance with it is that you need to use the mag during assembly/dissasembly, but its not really a big deal.

Also after having it for a while now, I still love it and have had no issues.
    Georg Büchner

Great review. I took my 22/45 to the range today and fired 100 rounds with it before switching to my 9mm and practicing for an IDPA match.

I had not heard about the removable grip model, that is something they needed to do. I saw where people modified their 22/45 to take 1911 grip panels but I never had the nerve to do it.
    Mine has been great, it is accurate and reliable. I did add a FO front sight and did the Slingshot and mag disconnect mod to mine.

Good review. Gotta love those Rugers.

Links