First 100 rounds with my glock

This is a discussion on First 100 rounds with my glock within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I do shoot with straight thumbs. Think i need another 500 rounds before i start feeling more confident. I will try to focus on a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First 100 rounds with my glock

I do shoot with straight thumbs. Think i need another 500 rounds before i start feeling more confident. I will try to focus on a straight back trigger creep... maybe that will get me more centered left to right. Bunker

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Just put the first 100 rounds through ...

I have very little handgun shooting experience.
    New gun. New to guns. Both can conspire to cause you to be uncomfortable and relatively unskilled with managing the balance of a particular gun. Focused practice can help. Lots of dry-fire and sighting exercises can assist with general aim, as well as trigger management.

In the 1990's I had a Browning BDM 9mm pistol that I shot quite a lot. After going through 12-15K rounds, I began to get very accurate with it, at most any speed, with paper targets at all distances as well as IDPA/IPSC style courses. After nearly 40K rounds' experience with this particular pistol, I had gotten so used to its balance and handling during fire that high accuracy was easy to obtain, for me. About as quickly as I could fire, I could keep all bullets inside a hand-span. It was simply a matter of getting comfortable with and used to the gun's balance during fire. The moment I worked another gun, though, accuracy would plummet by comparison.

You might find a local pistol competition champ, to get some ideas of hand/trigger/sight recommendations in areas you might be needing help. Or, better still, sign up for a one-day basic pistol handling course with a decent local or regional training group. You'll learn the basics and will avoid learning too many bad techniques early on.

Others have suggested what low/left can man for a right-handed shooter. Low/left can suggest that the fingers are getting in your way (in a manner of speaking), with the fingers during the "squeeze" pulling the muzzle off the aim point. Work hard to get the trigger finger to operate independently of the other fingers, so that their sympathetic movements don't yank the gun off target.

The specific fit of this gun to your hand might also be part of the problem. It can have to do with the mechanics of what the trigger finger does in cases where the length of pull is too long, versus too short. On handgun, as with a rifle, it can affect your success with shooting the gun. I've shot large guns in which the distance from the rear of the back strap to the trigger was simply too darned far for me to handle. I've also shot a few guns where it's darned near perfect (ie, Kahr K9 9mm). For me, having a gun that's sized properly for my hand can make all the difference.

However, I will say this too: What is it you're training for? Target shooting or combat effectiveness? I care very little about punching the 10 ring and more about fast, effective combat shots on target.
    Absolutely.

With practice with a given gun, I strive for "hand span" accuracy at any speed at any distance. If I can do that, then I'm reasonably comfortable that I'll avoid missing and instead striking the proverbial 3yr old child in the background.

Back when I was shooting a lot, all of my training was basically geared toward this level of actual performance: all bullets striking within a simple hand span of the point of aim (POA), at any speed or distance, in any exercise, with either hand. Deliberate, quick fire is often very accurate, but speed takes its toll without excellent command of the basics and a lot of good training. It takes a lot of varied training, for me, in order to achieve this with a given gun. And it's much more difficult to achieve now, now that I'm aging and aching. Carving holes in paper is fine, which shows more of the gun's basic accuracy than mine, but (to me) it isn't a decent indicator of ability to hit a target under stress.

Here is a link to an article by Massad Ayoob: How to Shoot a Handgun Accurately. He is still a very good marksman, but back in the day he was truly exceptionally accurate. You might hunt around on the internet for various write-ups and videos from IPSC/IDPA champs. They'll cover many of the same elements of stance, grip, trigger finger management, breathing and heart rate.

Here is a link on the HandgunLaws.us web site to a set of documents that describe drills you can use during training: CCW Handgun Drills.

Check the various Todd Jarrett videos on YouTube. For example: click.

Here is a good, and long, discussion thread on DefensiveCarry about shooting accurately while on the move. Which is, of course, how it's gonna go down when your life is on the line. Click.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The specific fit of this gun to your hand might also be part of the problem. It can have to do with the mechanics of what the trigger finger does in cases where the length of pull is too long, versus too short. On handgun, as with a rifle, it can affect your success with shooting the gun. I've shot large guns in which the distance from the rear of the back strap to the trigger was simply too darned far for me to handle. I've also shot a few guns where it's darned near perfect (ie, Kahr K9 9mm). For me, having a gun that's sized properly for my hand can make all the difference.

I found that this was my problem, also. I was consistently shooting low and to the left, my hand was reaching to far for the trigger. I was pushing on the right front edge of the trigger, thus pulling the muzzle left. Easy to correct, once you know the problem.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

ccw9mm, i shoot shotgun sports with two eyes open. Should i also be doing this with a pistol? Bunker

Another idea. Do you have a .22 pistol to practice with? I usually put as many or more .22 rounds down range as I do 9mm. The difference is that I shoot the .22 for accuracy and working on the fundamentals. I am trying to get the one ragged hole look when I am shooting the .22. When I transition to my carry gun, I work on drawing, point shooting, and rapid fire. Keeping all shots on target and getting them there fast. I don't do standard accuracy shooting with my 9mm much anymore. That's just the way I work my range time.

i am awaiting for the Taurus wheel gun in 22lr... it is purchased, just waiting for the ballistic testing here in beautiful NYS. Bunker

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    ccw9mm, i shoot shotgun sports with two eyes open. Should i also be doing this with a pistol? Bunker
    I'm sure you'll get some additional thoughts from others on this question.

My $0.02.

Partly, it depends again on what you're training for.

Poking holes in paper or knocking down targets is done by most folks with one-eye targeting that we're all familiar with. But in an actual attack/combat type situation, you're almost certainly not going to be closing your eye and lining up the sights.

You also should know which is your dominant eye. Use this simple guide to check: click. Learning to manage your eye/hand dominance will be part of your ability to improve aim. What works for me is to go with the flow, and not fight it. I've also learned to operate comfortably with both eyes open (without screwing up the dominant eye's control), which is likely to be what'll happen in an attack situation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

.22 wheel gun

Bunker:

Glad to hear that you're about to get a .22 wheel gun.

I highly recommend that you try shooting it in double action mode. (don't cock it).

This results in a long trigger movement and at first accuracy will be dismal.

But this will teach your trigger finger to move straight back and shortly your double action scores will dramatically improve.

Then the icing on the cake is that when going to a semi auto you will see a big improvement right away in accuracy.

This may sound goofy and I've never seen it suggested in print, but here is how I found out about this:

I have a .38 Special snubby that I sometimes carry and since the hammer often got snagged in my clothing I had the hammer bobbed making it into a double action only firearm.

DA only with a snubby made for some pretty sad groups, (patterns) but since I reload and had plenty of ammo I persisted and after a few hundred rounds was actually shooting pretty tight groups with the little gun.

The big surprise came when I went to my regular carry gun, a .45 Commander and found that my groups there were (for me) outstanding.

Seems as though I had been getting sloppy with trigger control and the DA only practice trained my trigger finger to come straight back with no jerking or sideways movement.

Hope this helps,

...Skye...

Almost Forgot

Bunker:

Another thing you need to do with that .22 is when loading, leave one chamber empty, Close your eyes and spin the cylinder before locking it up.

Somewhere in the next six shots you will get a "click". If you are flinching or jerking the trigger, you will know it right away.

Regards,

...Skye...

The 22 wheel gun is a 9 shot... so i can leave a few empty rounds in there. I have about 5 bricks of 22lr rounds... can do a lot of practice. I will definately try it DA, and see how my Glock goes thereafter. Probably should have purchased the 22 first, but having a glock is so niiiiiiiiiiicccccccccccccceeeeee!!! Bunker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links