First 100 rounds with my glock

This is a discussion on First 100 rounds with my glock within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just put the first 100 rounds through my new Glock 30...in 45 ACP. I have very little handgun shooting experience. How accurate were you when ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 100 rounds with my glock

Just put the first 100 rounds through my new Glock 30...in 45 ACP. I have very little handgun shooting experience. How accurate were you when you first started? I was standing at 8 paces, and could hit an 8" pie plate, but i was all over that pie plate size target. I had no consistancy. It seems easier to shoot than my snubbie 38 special...but just wondering where i may be going wrong. Many of the shots seemed to be too low... and often to the left. Bunker

You may want to look at this:
    1911Forum
    Low and left is not an uncommon mistake. Could be jerking, improper trigger control, etc. Concentrate on the front sight and get a steady squeeze of the trigger. Don't anticipate the shot and try to compensate for the recoil. Above all, practice, practice, practice. And of course have fun.

Yeah, I was low and to the left too. I noticed that when I pulled the trigger, sometime I would point the gun down at the same time. Try (first empty the mag and the chamber!!!!) aiming at a target and slowly pull the trigger, you may find yourself dipping down a bit.

As far as going to the left, that was from my man-handling the trigger and putting too much finger on it and jerking it.

Maybe this could offer some help... Error chart shooting image by GaryBF42 on Photobucket
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hmm, that's a neat "pie chart".. Thanks..
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Wow, that is a cool chart. Thank you for sharing!

thanks for the information. Someone told me to load some snap caps in my magazines and then that way, i can tell if i am flinching or not. Also, should the sight picture be front bead in middle of rear beads, and then place them on target, or do the pistol manufacturers have them hitting a little high? Oh, i purchased the tritium night sights which are fixed i believe. Bunker

I started out "grouping" the size of an entire target at 10 yards. I've improved to the point where I can do this at 20 yards:

Most new shooters handle sight alignment fairly well. The problem is trigger control. You should get a surprise break - in other words, you should uniformly and steadily increase pressure while focusing on the front sight. By doing this you will never quite know the exact moment the shot will ring out. As you improve you'll be able to do this faster and faster while maintaining the gentle pressure required for accuracy. This can be practiced at home. Tack a target to the wall and dry fire at it. Focus on the sights through the break and afterwards (follow through). The pistol should not have moved a millimeter and those sights should still be perfectly aligned on the bullseye.

P.S. The aforementioned pressure should only be applied to the trigger. Your index finger should be working independently of your gripping fingers.

Yep. That's a classic right-handed bad trigger press. I know, because I did the same thing.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Yep. That's a classic right-handed bad trigger press. I know, because I did the same thing.
    Yep. I'd be retired if I got a nickel for all the times I've seen people claiming the sights are off on their new gun because they're off low and left.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Squeezing the trigger is improper terminology. You should be pressing it ... straight back toward you with the front sight remaining framed in it's proper sight frame.

However, I will say this too: What is it you're training for? Target shooting or combat effectiveness? I care very little about punching the 10 ring and more about fast, effective combat shots on target.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand View Post
    Squeezing the trigger is improper terminology. You should be pressing it ... straight back toward you with the front sight remaining framed in it's proper sight frame.

However, I will say this too: What is it you're training for? Target shooting or combat effectiveness? I care very little about punching the 10 ring and more about fast, effective combat shots on target.
    Agreed!
    If you can keep them on a paper plate at 15 yards, all day long, you will hit center of mass--all day long. Hold a paper plate against your chest and show me somewhere on it where you don't think a bullet would stop someone!

Being able to make a quarter-sized hole during relaxed range conditions is nice, but SD seldom falls under those nice, calm, relaxed conditions. COM doesn't equate to a nice hole in the center; it means hitting mass with every shot.

As for low and left, I had the same problem with my G30. I've gotten better with time, and the grouping has grown smaller. Any BG bigger than a paper plate will be in trouble. Any Bg smaller? Well, we'll see!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by naking View Post
    I started out "grouping" the size of an entire target at 10 yards. I've improved to the point where I can do this at 20 yards:

Most new shooters handle sight alignment fairly well. The problem is trigger control. You should get a surprise break - in other words, you should uniformly and steadily increase pressure while focusing on the front sight. By doing this you will never quite know the exact moment the shot will ring out. As you improve you'll be able to do this faster and faster while maintaining the gentle pressure required for accuracy. This can be practiced at home. Tack a target to the wall and dry fire at it. Focus on the sights through the break and afterwards (follow through). The pistol should not have moved a millimeter and those sights should still be perfectly aligned on the bullseye.

P.S. The aforementioned pressure should only be applied to the trigger. Your index finger should be working independently of your gripping fingers.

DANG !!!
    You killed that cardboard !!

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    G30 is an excellent pistol; that's what I've carried for almost 2 years now.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

When I got serious with pistols I just moved my trigger habits over from rifle shooting. Tip of the finger, and squeeze. It nearly always put me low and left. If you pay attention you will notice that it forces your wrist down and left as you pull your finger in. Use more finger and work on pulling straight back. Dry firing also helped me a good bit. You get to work on your trigger, keeping your sight aligned and no obnoxious recoil to flinch from. Once your body becomes accustomed to pulling the trigger and not moving the sites off it will transfer to live fire.

Think I was using too little trigger finger on my CCP test? You can see a solid string of rounds that crept low and left. Sorry trigger on that S&W did not help either.

Also, how is your grip? A solid grip makes all the difference. If you are using the old cup and saucer, you don't have a solid grip. This is what I have moved to, straight thumbs. You can actually train your brain to point with your thumbs to help get on target faster too.

The Combat Handgun Grip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links