I Like Point Shooting More And More

This is a discussion on I Like Point Shooting More And More within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have adopted a point shooting style for all my small pocket pistols, as they are meant to be close range point-and-fire type guns anyway, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Like Point Shooting More And More

I Like Point Shooting More And More

I have adopted a point shooting style for all my small pocket pistols, as they are meant to be close range point-and-fire type guns anyway, with small, near useless sights.

I was at the range yesterday with my Kel-Tec P-32 and had finished up doing a couple boxes, and switched to my SIG Pro 2022 9mm. After a while of doing the regular lining up the sights and firing thing, I decided to try point shooting it, and wouldn’t you know, I was doing just as well, but more importantly was MUCH FASTER than taking the time to acquire and line up sights!

It seems to me that more and more, I'm getting away from using the sights at all, and just going with the instinctive point and shoot method.

Does anyone else out there do this? I'd be interested to hear how it worked out/didn't work out for you.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

2. Remove Ads

No, but i might start, sounds like a good idea for under 25 feet.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    At 7-10yds, I can put every shot on an 8"x8" target firing from the hip. It actually only took me about 2 range trips to first develop this ability...it's a lot easier than one would think.

I recommend everyone learn it. You will be shocked at how accurate you are even after the first couple mags.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I took a 'point shooting' class last September in Central Florida, and it is an important SD training technique. It is something that those really interested in improving their SD practice options should consider learning more about...made me a believer.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've started working on it. I usually point shoot with my first 2 shots out of the holster. I can definitely keep them in the BG targets at 5-7 yrds. And it is much faster at getting the first shot or 2 off. I would like to take a class, but I have not seen any local. I have also started working on point shooting from about mid chest. Not quite high enough to get the sites. I have not worked up the nerve to do the zipper drill where you start point shooting when you clear leather and shoot all the way up till you get your sights. The RSO might not like that one.

I've messed with it some especially after a couple stages in some IDPA matches have had that you had to shoot from the hip

I teach point shooting! Its a good skill to learn and practice. Chances of you actually using your sights correctly in a combat situation are near zip, so you might want to learn how to point shoot.

when it hits the fan you will not see or use your sights. you will point shoot. so you need to learn how to point shoot. spend some of your range time do it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I teach point shooting! Its a good skill to learn and practice. Chances of you actually using your sights correctly in a combat situation are near zip, so you might want to learn how to point shoot.
    +1

I would rather be well versed in Point Shooting than any other practice method. IMO, it's the closest thing to illustrate how a real gunfight will go down.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    putting bullets in the same holes doesnt make a self defense regimine...sights are seldom used at close range and anyone who carries a gun for self defense should be able to place multiple shots at com without sighting...its a great practice when youre at the range...and it makes you look good when the people using their sights are having a hard time putting em on paper....

I HATE using anything the size of the P32/Ruger LCP with a regular grip- find it totally UNcomfortable. Found that I actually like shooting them when point shooting. I still practice a good balance between sights/point with my XD9 and XD45- can't remember the last time I used sights with a pocket pistol.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I took a 'point shooting' class last September in Central Florida, and it is an important SD training technique. It is something that those really interested in improving their SD practice options should consider learning more about...made me a believer.
    I took the same course with retsupt99 and agree completely. In fact, it changed my whole perspective about using a handgun for self defense. Invaluable stuff.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Does anyone know a web site or a technique to practice (Learn) point shooting.
    Glock 36, 20, 30, 29, PX4 Storm SC 9mm, Colt Delta Elite, Colt Agent, Sig C3, Kimber CDP 2, Firestar 40

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth" - George Washington
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun." - Jeff Cooper

Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

I agree with the posts here. I have been using point shooting for quite some time now. In all truth I am just about as accurate point shooting as I am when using the sights. Great skill to master for sd purposes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links