Taurus 1911 feedback

This is a discussion on Taurus 1911 feedback within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Like his opinion or not...Sixto is right most of the time. He is also man enough to own it if he is wrong. Every Taurus ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 1911 feedback

Like his opinion or not...Sixto is right most of the time. He is also man enough to own it if he is wrong. Every Taurus I have handled or shot except for some very few of the older revos and a few PT-92s just felt a shade less of a gun than "more reputable" manufacturers. Take that as you will. Its not snobbery, just an opinion. Their CS sucks it is well known in the industry and on all gun forums.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

The company itself is much worse than their guns.

I'd get my money back and pick something else.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

I've had my PT1911AR for about a year. No rust. Noticeable holster wear. Around 1200 rounds through it, no malfunctions. Very accurate. I wouldn't buy the railed version again; too few holster options. I like mine, very accurate

[IMG][/IMG]
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Well gotta say I have a PT1911. My purpose in buying it though was the base platform to basically build into a custom gun. My observation is this. Fire control components on them pretty much suck. The frame, slide, and the trigger seem to be OK. Never had to nor intended to ever use the customer service but it's mostly horror stories, one right after another (in all fairness though Kimber is not much better). If you can work on it yourself than I would say it's not a bad investment. If your thinking of taking advantage of their lifetime guarantee and it will sent it to their customer service when problems arise than maybe the Springer is the way for you to go.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Can't argue with mine. Had it about a year now and no complaints at all. Haven't changed anything but the grips, ambi safety had never come loose, and I haven't noticed any rust ( a little oil goes a long way). I'll shoot my PT1911 against any of the higher dollar guns any day, and I have. If you want a nicer finish and fancy non-mim parts, spend the extra 200-300 dollars for a gun you are going to put in a holster and cover up. I carry mine when I'm dressed for it, my S&W 9mm when I'm not and trust it with my life. Over a 1000 rounds and no problems.(had to get after market mags to feed hp's)

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their 'constitutional' right of amending it or their 'revolutionary' right to dismember or overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln

Sponsor
    My PT1911 was garbage. Safety arm broke off after 20 rounds. rear sight drifted loose, finish sucks so now all that is left is the frame. It has been completely rebuilt with aftermarket precision parts and is now a confident daily carry if I so choose to. But it stays in the safe and is waiting for me to unload it to one of my nephews who needs a good gun. Don't buy a PT1911 unless you plan on spending another $1,000 to make it truly reliable.

www.TigerHolsterSystems.com www.TigerRacingProducts.com
    Tiger Holster Systems
    Peace of Mind at Arms Reach

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u2c View Post
    My PT1911 was garbage. Safety arm broke off after 20 rounds. rear sight drifted loose, finish sucks so now all that is left is the frame. It has been completely rebuilt with aftermarket precision parts and is now a confident daily carry if I so choose to. But it stays in the safe and is waiting for me to unload it to one of my nephews who needs a good gun. Don't buy a PT1911 unless you plan on spending another $1,000 to make it truly reliable.
    Sorry you had such issues with your PT1911. I must have won the QA lottery on my PT1911 - it has been flawless through several thousand rounds now. Win some, lose some.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Emrah View Post
    Get your money back.

I have a PT-1911. Now, it has never ever failed to feed, fire or eject. However, its overall quality is very low. Do a search on any gun forum (or go to Taurus Armed.net - Index) and type in "ambi-safety" and "finish" or "rust". Make some popcorn, settle in and prepare to read for hours.

The ambi safeties are junk. The two-piece design comes apart and works loose/out. I replaced mine with a Wilson Combat single sided unit.

The finish is garbage. Just garbage. I can wear it for one day and it will rust. As in inside the checkering, the rail the main spring housing slides in, etc. And that's not even talking about holster wear. This is just mild moisture or perspiration from daily carry.

There are reports of slide stop levers breaking as well.

If I were to do it again, I would get a Springfield Mil Spec model. As I said, it's never failed and I have well over 3000+ rounds through it. With that said, I STILL would choose another company over the Taurus.

Emah
    After several thousand rounds through mt PT1911, I am STILL waiting for any of these things to happen to mine. Finish isn't top notch, but I have yet to see any rust on mine. But then, I make sure is is well protected with an oil or silicon treatment. I have even had rain fall directly on it and never had any rust issues. Just saying.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

I've put about 1,000 rounds through mine and had no problems at all. I did have a problem with one of the factory mags, sent it back to Taurus and had a new one in a couple of weeks. It was not a huge deal to me since I really don't like or use the factory mags anyway. I did hear about the finish being rather thin and opted for the stainless model, and am actually quite satisfied with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Emrah View Post
    Taurus revolvers are great. At least their .38 Specials. Their big-bore magnums aren't really up to the abuse.

As to their pistols, GARBAGE. My PT-1911 at least works. Poor finish aside at least it doesn't malfunction. Do NOT get me started on the PT-140 I had. While you're perusing the Intertubes for the Taurus problems I mentioned in my previous post, might as well also search "...Magazines..." and "...Mag Release..." I couldn't get rid of that piece of crap soon enough.

Taurus needs to stop introducing new products and concentrate on making the ones they already have 100% reliable.

Emrah
    Gun test did not like their mag wheel guns either, something about a pin backing out and causing the cylinder to jam... We have several Taurus's in the family 2 wheel guns and this thing...

The general rule of a Taurus is if it is good to go out of the box then it will usually be good for life but if it is bad out of the box and a certain % of them are for us it was a 33% ratio....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Purchased my duo tone PT1911 last year near new years. Took it to the range a week later. After 100 rounds the rear sight screw fell off. Called Taurus and they sent me 3 different screws on 3 different occasions. Each time it takes a week to get it in the mail. All three screws did not fit and were not for my Novak sights. Finally i sent my slide to Novak and installed some fiber optic sights. Purchased a set of Hogue rubber grips and while removing the grip screws one of the retainers came out with it. Tried to remove the screw from the retainer with a set of pliers and the retainer stripped and fell apart. Just purchased a set of SS screws and retainers and i hope they fit and solve my problem. Taurus Customer Service is the worst. They are rude, dont care about you and their reps dont know anything about their weapons. They wanted me to send the whole weapon back to them for a 2 dollar rear sight screw. I will never purchase another Taurus again. Im trickin out my 1911 but its costing me. I paid almost $700 for my duo tone and so far have spent about $120 more in extra parts just to get it working. Im gonna take it to the range when its ready but i have my ambi safety is gonna be a problem. It already feels look and ive only fired 100 rounds thru it.

Administrator
    My Momma always told me that if I didn't have something nice to say...then don't say anything at all.
    So with regard to the Taurus "1911" I'll jut say this: "_____________________."

They are "ok" but for the same $$ or LESS you can get a just as good or better(and a better deal) RIA 1911 that will be just as reliable and nice if not more so. Right when they FIRST came out and were near the $450 mark(i think they were $450-475 originaly) they represented a deal..but at their prices now there is just better and more reliable stuff out there and some of it like the RIA is better AND CHEAPER.

Run and get your money back..you can get a Springfield Milspec. My Spring 1911 is my primary and been so since new 2001.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I like my PT-1911. I did have a problem with it at first... apparently the rear sight worked loose while I was at the range, and fell off when I got home and was field-stripping for cleaning. I put it back in the dovetail, tightened down the set screw with an allen wrench, and haven't had any problems with it since.

There are a few things that I specifically dislike about the PT-1911.. Not only is the hammer the ugly "round hole" style, but it also has a goofy proprietary safety lock in it. Also, it has a full length guide rod, which makes field-stripping a hassle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links