Taurus 1911 feedback

Taurus 1911 feedback

This is a discussion on Taurus 1911 feedback within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just put a Taurus 1911/ AL duo tone .45 on layaway. My first .45 so I'm looking for pics,feedback info or advice on this piece. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Taurus 1911 feedback

Just put a Taurus 1911/ AL duo tone .45 on layaway.
    My first .45 so I'm looking for pics,feedback info
    or advice on this piece. Thanks so much for your replies!!
    Can't wait to start getting xtras,grips,sights etc!

Get your money back.

I have a PT-1911. Now, it has never ever failed to feed, fire or eject. However, its overall quality is very low. Do a search on any gun forum (or go to Taurus Armed.net - Index) and type in "ambi-safety" and "finish" or "rust". Make some popcorn, settle in and prepare to read for hours.

The ambi safeties are junk. The two-piece design comes apart and works loose/out. I replaced mine with a Wilson Combat single sided unit.

The finish is garbage. Just garbage. I can wear it for one day and it will rust. As in inside the checkering, the rail the main spring housing slides in, etc. And that's not even talking about holster wear. This is just mild moisture or perspiration from daily carry.

There are reports of slide stop levers breaking as well.

If I were to do it again, I would get a Springfield Mil Spec model. As I said, it's never failed and I have well over 3000+ rounds through it. With that said, I STILL would choose another company over the Taurus.

Emah

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emrah View Post
    Get your money back.

I have a PT-1911. Now, it has never ever failed to feed, fire or eject. However, its overall quality is very low. Do a search on any gun forum (or go to Taurus Armed.net - Index) and type in "ambi-safety" and "finish" or "rust". Make some popcorn, settle in and prepare to read for hours.

The ambi safeties are junk. The two-piece design comes apart and works loose/out. I replaced mine with a Wilson Combat single sided unit.

The finish is garbage. Just garbage. I can wear it for one day and it will rust. As in inside the checkering, the rail the main spring housing slides in, etc. And that's not even talking about holster wear. This is just mild moisture or perspiration from daily carry.

There are reports of slide stop levers breaking as well.

If I were to do it again, I would get a Springfield Mil Spec model. As I said, it's never failed and I have well over 3000+ rounds through it. With that said, I STILL would choose another company over the Taurus.

Emah
    I have to agree. I bought one (after much deliberation) and it was fine - for about 400 rounds. I didn't have any rust (I was in Colorado at the time with an average humidity of 12%), but things started to happen. The plunger spring flipped in its housing. Taurus techs were clueless. Then, it started shooting a full 12" low at 10 yards! I thought it was the ammo. It wasn't - everything I fed it did the same thing. I thought it was me. It wasn't - my friend (IDPA Master) got the same results. It could have been the bushing, link, or a combination of a lot of things. Taurus wanted me to send it back. Another friend bought it for a truck gun - knowing of the issues.

Emah and I may have gotten two lemons out of thousands made. My confidence was shaken enough that I wouldn't carry it. For the same money, you could get a good Springfield, Rock Island (and then customize it to your heart's content) or other pistols. Sorry to dash your hopes, but I needed to share my experience. Good luck!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I've never owned or shot one,but I own the following a SA 1911A1 SS Mil Spec and have put about 5000 rounds thru it without any real issues,RIA 1911 45 compact that has had several thousand rounds thru it and eats everything and accurate It was my first CCW gun,Colt CC 1911 XSE has had about 1500 rounds thru it and is my daily carry.I would trust any of the above with my life
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Gaz
    I have to agree with the rest of the posters so far, the guns just aren't that high quality. Get a Springfield GI or Mil-spec for around the same money in.

Incidentally, checking with some of the high end gunsmiths to see what pistols they'll accept for custom work can be telling. Wilson Combat specifically disallowed Taurus pistols on their order form a couple years ago, although now it simply lists the makes they will accept.

The frame and slide are pretty good.
    Change out all the internals, at the very least the extractor, ejector and slide stop. Its all MIM, and not high quality MIM like a Springfield or RIA.
    On some the firing pin retainer appears staked on but it has 3 1/32" tabs on each side these are machined close the the FPR is pressed in and the tabs forrn to the slide making disassembly a huge pain. I've only seen this style on newer models. 4-5 disassemblies and you need to replace the FPR.
    Its a series 80 STYLE firing pin block but the levers are not interchangable with colt parts (they do mount on all the correct pins though) so you'll have to keep those.

Edit: I'm not bashing Taurus, I carry a Taurus wheel gun every day but their 1911's are garbage

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I guess I'll be the dissenter, and say it depends on the price. I found mine on consignment NIB for about $350, if I remember right. It's no Colt, and the other posters are right about the delicate finish. But it goes bang every time, and is quite accurate. I only carry it occassionally, when I'm wearing a suit, but I have no qualms about it failing to fire if I need it. Mine has no issues with rust either, which I'm a little surprised at, given that I live in southern Louisiana and can practically watch fish swim by my window.

I've seen them at Academy for almost $600, and that's just too much. But if you can find a good deal, they can be fine guns, for what they are.

One thing to watch for : if you get the accessory rail model, you'll have a hard time finding holsters. The rails are wider than other railed 1911's, and there are only a couple of holster makers who have a mold for it.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Administrator
    Gosh, I told you guys that months ago and got bashed for it.

Taurus is a low cost gun with low cost "features". You do get what you pay for.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Get your money back and shop Springfield Armory. Should be able to find something within your price range.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Gosh, I told you guys that months ago and got bashed for it.

Taurus is a low cost gun with low cost "features". You do get what you pay for.
    I'll eat crow. I bashed you and it appears that I was wrong.

Damn, I hate having to type that.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

i bought one a year ago, and it's been perfect. the first few weeks, i had some rust develop near the bore, but that's what i got for carrying it in a cheap holster. it cleaned up, i got some good quality holsters, and never had the problem again. i've lost count of how many rounds i've put through it, and it's never been picky with any. the only thing i don't like is the locking device in the hammer, which i'm planning on replacing with a bobbed hammer, and the ambi safety, which i really don't need.

it's super awesome how people who've never owned one give their opinions on them. i'm going over to the Kimber thread to let everyone know that Kimbers suck.

as for getting what you pay for: yes, you do. but, some people can't afford to drop the coin for a Wilson Combat or Les Baer, so they get Taurus, RIA, or STI Spartans.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i owned one and put several thousand rounds through it without any issue whatsoever...it was a part time carry gun in florida...the humidity in my area is staggering and the gun was sweat on...i'm not a religious gun cleaner but the finish never suffered...it isnt the prettiest finish youve seen on a gun but i dont expect that on a gun of this price point....

the gun never experienced a single failure and it was flogged regularly...

i know more than one person who use pt1911 pistols in idpa competitiont and are leaders with them...one of them sold his kimber after realizing he was at least as accurate with his taurus and he is a regular "one to beat" on the idpa circuit...he also has not replaced the ambi safety and is a lefty so it has come in very handy for him....it is his regular carry firearm also....

say what you want...and most will when it comes to taurus...its a company many love to hate...but i know too many people who have had nothing but good luck with their guns to believe the bad things i read in foums about them...

i also own a pt111 mil pro...it shares carry duty with a glock 19 and glock 30 depedning on what i'm wearing...the only reason the glocks get the nod over the pt is the longer sight radius agrees more with my shakes...but i would carry the pt111 into a battle as willingly as i would carry either glock....the pt111 has had many thousands of rounds through it and like the 1911 it has never faltered a bit...it shoots better than i do....

the only reason i dont own the 1911 anymore is it wasnt practical to carry for me due to its weight compared to the plastic guns....in my case once i went black i never went back....i like plastic guns...but would own another 1911 in a heartbeat just for the pleasure of shooting it and the beautiful "real gun" look it had....

Exclamation +110% get your money back asap!!

I always buy my kids a CCW gun when they turn 21.... that said my son decided he just had to have the Taurus PT 1911 with the Tac rail....
    Long story short in the first 7+ months he owned it he only had it in his hands less than 3 weeks...
    the rest of the time it as at Taurus repair for, ambi safety kept falling out,
    shipped back un repaired,
    returned, shipped back with scratches on gun,
    returned shipped back very loose like they had cycled it 500,000 times,
    returned and sent back would not shoot straight rounds wandered all over the place... sent back...
    returned and each time although they promised quick action they kept it no less than 8 weeks... repeated calls were of no use, wrote a letter to the top US rep no response, they totally ignored us.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Worst 1911 on the market. I'd take one of the (gulp) Filipino guns over the Taurus anytime.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Taurus revolvers are great. At least their .38 Specials. Their big-bore magnums aren't really up to the abuse.

As to their pistols, GARBAGE. My PT-1911 at least works. Poor finish aside at least it doesn't malfunction. Do NOT get me started on the PT-140 I had. While you're perusing the Intertubes for the Taurus problems I mentioned in my previous post, might as well also search "...Magazines..." and "...Mag Release..." I couldn't get rid of that piece of crap soon enough.

Taurus needs to stop introducing new products and concentrate on making the ones they already have 100% reliable.

Emrah

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links