Need some quick thoughts on Porting

This is a discussion on Need some quick thoughts on Porting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My XD the service model with the 4" barrel should be in today. My dealer is also one of the top gunsmiths in Arizona ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some quick thoughts on Porting

Need some quick thoughts on Porting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My XD the service model with the 4" barrel should be in today. My dealer is also one of the top gunsmiths in Arizona and a self-defense instructor. I told him before I pick it up I want his patented self-defense sight put on it. It is the only sight I put on my guns. He asked me if I wanted to get my XD Ported at the same time. I asked the advantage of getting it ported. I for one have never owned or shot a ported handgun but i've seen many of them. He said a port job would make the recoil of my 45acp to that of about a 9mm. He also said I would reduce muzzle flip by about 40%. Price wise he said it would be about 180 -200 dollars.
    You think getting it ported would be a good idea??
    I asked him he said it was my choice.
    I have 100% faith in what he says and his work is some of the best i've ever seen. What would your thought be on getting it ported??

Thanks Chuck (Arizona}

2. Remove Ads

I like ported rifles and shottys. Pistols are a bit different- something that you might be discharging where you get blast in your face. Getting a scorch on my chest or ribs wouldn't rate as too much, but potentially being blinded at the worst possible time has led me to decide against ports on my defensive pistols.

On an "offensive" handgun, yeah, I'd do it, but since we're all more likely to be "responding", rather than hunting....probably not the best choice. Just my $.02

Personally, I really dislike ported handguns because the sound level (and pressure) increases significantly. While any handgun hurts my ears, ported handguns absolutely deafen me and cause extreme pain. Maybe just me... but I don't want it. I can deal with recoil, but I don't want that pressure coming back at me.

Porting is great on a competition pistol, but I wouldn't port my carry pistol. This is subjective, but I think the muzzle flash from a ported pistol is worse in low-light conditions, and makes it more difficult to reacquire the front sight after the first shot. A carry pistol held for retention in close quarters is going to be right up next to your chest, below your eyes and face - do you really want hot gases and particulate blowing up toward your chest, face and eyes? Noise is bad enough blown straight out from the pistol. Adding noise blown up toward your ears is worse.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Assistant Administrator
    Noise and flash potential is what would put me off. That said, have fired a G17 with porting and it was a total ***** cat - so dynamically it does on those at least, provide useful extra control.

For me tho, not a carry feature and - certainly am not a fan of it on snubs - that said, DDGator was well pleased with his Gemini Customs SP-101 and he wrote about porting in CCM three or so issues ago IIRC.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I wouldn't carry a ported gun for CCW.

Shoot a ported handgun under any and all conditions you would use your gun. Then make your choice based on personal knowledge, rather than basing decision on what others have to say.

Just the opinion of one old guy.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I never saw the logic in drilling holes in perfectly good barrels!
    Of course, lots of guns have porting. I am mainly a sporting clays shooter, and many shotguns are ported, especially for competition. But hunting guns never are, due to extreme increases in noise and gas spraying the other guys in the blind. I think concealed guns should not be ported- they may be used in very close quarters and low light. Also, cleaning becomes more work, although that is a limited factor.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Ports on a working gun? No way. A competion gun, maybe. But probably not.

+1 on not porting a CCW. If you ever shoot from retention distance the gas on a ported gun will potentially burn your face and chest. Plus, if shot at night will not help with night vision.

Leave the porting to competition or showcase pistols.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Didn't like it shooting on trapline next to a guy with ported gun
    made it aweful loud!Would not want a compensated pistol,if recoil
    to much go with lighter load or smaller cailber.

Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    Shoot a ported handgun under any and all conditions you would use your gun. Then make your choice based on personal knowledge, rather than basing decision on what others have to say.

Just the opinion of one old guy.
    I agree with this statement. Find one and try it for yourself, under any circumstance you may encounter while CCWing. When it comes to YOUR life YOU need to educate yourself about your wepon enough to make the decision.

Senior Moderator
    I saw a ported .38 that was carried loose in a purse, cerrtainly not the best way to carry a gun in a purse, but lots of women do it.

It had been a long time since it had been shot. When I asked about it, the women showed it to me. In the ports were all kinds of stuff, they were almost completely clogged with lint and trash from the bottom of her purse. It was dangerous and could have encourgaged an obstructed barrel. In the event of a situation where in must be fired, it would have blown all of that crap into the users face.

Im sure that you would'nt allow that to happen to your gun, but it is something to think about in a ported weapon that is carried for self defense. Its just another place for stuff to gather. I see no real advantage to it.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Have all the ports you want, on any weapon except a weapon that will be used for concealed carry.

If your still considering a ported weapon after you fire one at night then nobody here is gonna change your mind.

There's a flash factor with non ported but not near as severe, IMO. --------

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I have a Taurus mod.44-4SS .44mag I love the porting on that, I CAN shoot it one handed. I noticed a lady at the range shooting a Glock 23, she was flinching pretty bad from the recoil. After talking to her a little, and explaining to not worry about the recoil as mine was not going to recoil like hers. I let her shoot my G23c, and it was a much better experiance for her. She's wanted to get one. But I did tell her she might want to try out a 9mm also. Those are the only two I have that are ported.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links