Planning a trip

Planning a trip

This is a discussion on Planning a trip within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My daughter and I plan to take a couple weeks to visit some of the colleges she's looking at attending. The trip will take us ...

Thread: Planning a trip

Planning a trip

My daughter and I plan to take a couple weeks to visit some of the colleges she's looking at attending. The trip will take us through 7 states, all of which have reciprocity with my home state.

Except one. Illinois. And we are visiting the University of Chicago.

It looks like it might be easier to just leave the damn gun at home for the whole trip than to try to deal with the ridiculous laws of Illinois. Am I right that I can't even transport an unloaded weapon in my car while driving through Chicago?

Maybe the Supreme Court ruling will make some headway, but it won't be before our trip.

I would just eliminate the U of C from our list, but it comes highly recommended by her college counselor.

Az

Leave the gun with somebody you know outside of Chicago?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CplVargas View Post
    Leave the gun with somebody you know outside of Chicago?
    Or better yet, leave Illinois out of the trip! Do you really want your daughter living in a cesspool like Chicago?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Or better yet, leave Illinois out of the trip! Do you really want your daughter living in a cesspool like Chicago?
    Apparently, the U of C campus is one of the nicest in the USA. I've never been, so I don't know.

Besides, it's her decision.

Az

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    AGREED. My niece is on athletic scholarship at an SEC school. Illinois recruited her. Her answer was "HELL NO". Not just guns (she is shooter) but the entire entanglement that goes with being in that state. She was adult enough to realize that there is a solid chance that the area that she goes to college may end up being where she lives her life -meets boy, falls in love, gets job and before you know you are living there-- So she would not even consider Illinois. She is now preparing to make her life in the Sunshine state.

Chicago sucks. No way for any price.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    I would just eliminate the U of C from our list, but it comes highly recommended by her college counselor.

Az
    Maybe this counselor, like so many academics, leans a little to the left and doesn't really understand all he knows about it. There has to be a 100 other universities comparable or better than Chicago.

Good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Astute View Post
    Maybe this counselor, like so many academics, leans a little to the left and doesn't really understand all he knows about it. There has to be a 100 other universities comparable or better than Chicago.

Good luck!!!
    This counselor is female, I have no idea what her political affiliation is, but I know she's very, very good at what she does. Of course there are hundreds of schools to choose from, but the idea is to get a good match of student and curriculum. (And scholarships! )

The good news is that after reviewing the list tonight, we will probably not have time to make it to Chicago on this trip. And we have no reason to step foot into Illinois at all at this point.

Az

If you do head to IL, try finding a gunshop near the border in the nearest free state. Drop off your CCW for a "cleaning", and pick it up on the way home. Safe, secure, and legal.

VIP Member
    What other schools is she looking at? What is she studying?

Glad you don't have to go to Ill. Not a place I would want to be unarmed.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    U of Chicago is a private school and hideously expensive. As I recall, it has a well regarded economics department (2 Nobel Prizes in Economics). As a personal decision, I would (and did) avoid living in Chicago like the plague.

Apparently, the U of C campus is one of the nicest in the USA. I've never been, so I don't know.

Besides, it's her decision.

Az
    I've seen much better...nice campus or not, have you looked to see where the campus is located on Google Maps?? 12 blocks from the south side...if you can't go there with a gun, why would she go unarmed?...for 4 years?

See: Violent Crime Report | The University of Chicago

and: Chicago Police Department CLEARMAP - Crime Summary

While campus crime is everywhere....I'd avoid the cesspool that is Chicago. If I had a choice of living between Chicago and Kabul, I'd pick Kabul....the people are nicer...

Compared to U of I (Illinois), U of Chicago is traffic median....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Am I right that I can't even transport an unloaded weapon in my car while driving through Chicago?
    I think you can.

From http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18...6---A000-.html , text of 18 USC 926A:
    "Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Just don't stop anywhere in Chicago while transporting said firearm until the Supreme Court rules on McDonald, otherwise they can arrest you (and if they find out, will arrest you). Because unless you register the firearm with the city of Chicago, it is not legal for you to possess it. So if you stop to get gas, eat, etc., in the city of Chicago you have violated the law.

Sponsored Links