Has anyone actually shot a snake with snake shot?? - Page 2

Has anyone actually shot a snake with snake shot??

This is a discussion on Has anyone actually shot a snake with snake shot?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The .38 cal. works pretty well. It is deadly on smaller snakes. Larger snakes have required 2 or 3 shots to kill them. I carry ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone actually shot a snake with snake shot??

The .38 cal. works pretty well. It is deadly on smaller snakes. Larger snakes have required 2 or 3 shots to kill them. I carry a .38 loaded with snake shot every time I am outside during the Spring, Summer and Fall here in NC. We live on a lake and seem to have a lot of copperheads.

VIP Member
    I picked up a box of CCI .38 shotshells based on this thread. It'll give my snubbie a new purpose that I hadn't thought of while I'm working in the woods this summer.

'Snake's gonna die!

(Yup, I'm a redneck)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    The last snake I shot was on the top of our 6 foot high wooden fence beside my wife's bird feeder. She FREAKED. Unless I killed the snake, she was going to make us move. If I had to kill it, might as well make some sport out of it. I decided to use my target 22, but she then placed certain restrictions on me, like "don't shoot the fence, don't shoot my bird feeder, etc.". I got out my old trusty SA 22lr revolver loaded with target ammo and proceeded to squeeze off one of my proudest shots. Clipped the top half of the neck from 25 feet with her in my ear telling me what not to do the whole time. We went outside the fenced in area, jumped the pasture fence, and went around back to find the snake dead with the head hanging on by a thread. I was all stoked and she was not impressed at all with the shot. To this day she has no appreciation for the shot...I'm still quite proud of it. I have some 22 shot shells, but I've never used it.
    That was a fine shot, Bugdude and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I've head-shot tree-rats with my wife hollering in my ear to "don't hit the bird house, etc...". We have an unappreciated fine skill set.

Only with .22 shotshells from a rifle on a single occasion. It made the rattler stop attempting to slither away so he could be finished.

The 12 gauge. Have used on many occasion. Works.

VIP Member
    I would recommend also carry some regular ammunition in the gun as well. The shot-shells don't kill anything much bigger than snake or rat.......I shot a raccoon late one night with .38 shot shells & just pissed him off....luckily I had several rounds of JHP to finish him.

I usually carry with two rounds of shot & 5 JHPs......(I have a 7-shot 686)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    That was a fine shot, Bugdude and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I've head-shot tree-rats with my wife hollering in my ear to "don't hit the bird house, etc...". We have an unappreciated fine skill set.
    Thank you. I knew the 500 rounds each weekend I used to target shoot with this revolver would pay off someday. I've had semi-auto pistols designed for target, but I've never been as pinpoint accurate with anything as this old SA 22 made by Tanfoglio. It doesn't make sense to me, but sometimes something just works for you.

I've got to find some of the 38 shotshells for my snubs. Sounds handy.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I have shot several with 38spl snake shot. No more than 5 or 6 feet away. Hit in the head they usually die, but a second shot never hurts.

I used to carry my pistol with two or three rounds of snake shot in it while hunting and fishing in FL. Rattelrs and Moccasin were often somehwere in my path. Mostly Moccasins.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I have killed 65-85 Cottonmouths per year since I purchased my my farm in 2001. Not all of them were with shot shells. The ones that were was shot with 22LR, 22Mag, 38SPL and 40S&W CCI shot shells or 38SPL shot shell hand loads. No, it does not cause instant death. Nothing that I have ever used to kill a snake with caused the snake to stop moving instantly. I have had quite a few snakes as "pets". Snakes are very prone to infections and a small wound can prove fatal to them. It may take weeks.
    Shot shells are about the least effective way I have come across to kill snakes. I pretty much reserve them for rodents. If I shoot a snake with shot shells I accept the fact that one will not do the job quickly and they cost about $1 per bang. Distance determines how many bangs are needed.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

A number of copperheads with .38 shot ammo (CCI). My wife regularly kills serpents in the garden with her J-Frame S&W. She carries shot in all five holes. I generally start with two shot rounds and then get serious with the other four with my 67-1.

A good round and deadly on snakes up to 10 feet away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links