ATTN: Comcast Subscribers

ATTN: Comcast Subscribers

This is a discussion on ATTN: Comcast Subscribers within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Those of you who use COMCAST might want to consider calling them to CANCEL your service. Comcast had a representative there to speak against your ...

Exclamation ATTN: Comcast Subscribers

Those of you who use COMCAST might want to consider calling them to CANCEL your service. Comcast had a representative there to speak against your Constitutional right to self-defense by opposing HB 171.
    Gun owners should not reward such behavior by remaining loyal
    customers. And if you do cancel, be sure to tell them why.

HB 171, Delegate Pogge, allows someone to be able to keep a gun in
    their locked vehicle on private property, prohibiting employers or
    landlords from banning such guns. The bill died by 5 to 0, with even
    Senator Quayle voting against it.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Why was Comcast taking a positon on firearms?

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Because it would have required Comcast to allow their employees to secure their firearms in their personal vehicles while parked on some Comcast property. They wanted to ensure that their employees were not only disarmed at work, but disarmed from the moment their employees leave their homes.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Hmm. A [former] Comcast employee was convicted today of attempted aggravated murder, robbery, et cetera. I believe he used some sort of fake firearm during the robbery.

That might have something to do with it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    The feelings about "property rights trumping 2A" runs strong in Virginia. Even with protections in the bill that provide civil immunity for such persons, property owners, tenants, employers, or business owners.

The provisions of the bill would not apply to possession of firearms on property on which a person is prohibited from possessing a firearm; (ii) vehicles on property (a) to which access is restricted or limited through the use of a gate; or (b) upon which a building occupied by a single employer and its affiliated entities is located and in which access to the building is restricted or limited by card access; (iii) vehicles owned or leased by an employer or business entity and used by an employee in the course of his employment; (iv) personal vehicles while such vehicles are being used for the transport of consumers of programs licensed by the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services; or (v) vehicles on property controlled by an employer required to develop and implement a security plan under federal law or regulation.

Even with all these protections and immunities the "It's my property and I decide what will I will allow" feelings run high. In fact, any intrusion into a business and its options and practices will have a rough row to hoe. I never expected this one to pass and was amassed that it got by the House.

Details below.

HOUSE BILL NO. 171
    AMENDMENT IN THE NATURE OF A SUBSTITUTE
    (Proposed by the House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety
    on February 12, 2010)
    (Patron Prior to Substitute--Delegate Pogge)
    A BILL to amend the Code of Virginia by adding a section numbered 18.2-308.1:01, relating to firearms in locked vehicles; immunity from liability.
    Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1. That the Code of Virginia is amended by adding a section numbered 18.2-308.1:01 as follows:

18.2-308.1:01. Firearms in locked vehicles; immunity from liability.

A. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall maintain, establish, or enforce any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting a person who may lawfully possess a firearm from storing a firearm locked in or locked to a firearms rack in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, parking space, or other similar property set aside for motor vehicles.

B. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall be liable in any civil action for any occurrence that results from or is connected to the use of a firearm that was lawfully stored pursuant to subsection A, unless the person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity commits a criminal act, willful misconduct or gross negligence involving the use of the firearm.

C. Any person may enforce this section by filing a petition for injunction in the court of record of the county or city in which the person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity prohibiting the firearm is located. The court shall award actual damages, court costs, and reasonable attorney fees to a prevailing party.

D. This section shall not apply to (i) property on which a person is prohibited from possessing a firearm by 18.2-308.1; (ii) vehicles on property (a) to which access is restricted or limited through the use of a gate, security station, or other means of restricting or limiting general access onto the property; or (b) upon which a building occupied by a single employer and its affiliated entities is located and in which access to the building is restricted or limited by card access, a security station, or other means of restricting or limiting general public access into the building; (iii) vehicles owned or leased by an employer or business entity and used by an employee in the course of his employment; or (iv) personal vehicles while such vehicles are being used for the transport of consumers of programs licensed by the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services; (v) vehicles on property controlled by an employer required to develop and implement a security plan under federal law or regulation.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I am currently a Comcrap subscriber but I will be moving soon. Sorry Comcrap, you won't be going with me for a lot of reasons.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Links