Dunk-It Gun Cleaner

This is a discussion on Dunk-It Gun Cleaner within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyony know about or possibly have used Dunk-It Gun Cleaner I saw it a gun magazine a while back but did not followup on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunk-It Gun Cleaner

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Dunk-It Gun Cleaner

Does anyony know about or possibly have used Dunk-It Gun Cleaner

I saw it a gun magazine a while back but did not followup on it. Pistols are for the most part easy to clean. Revolvers on the other hand tend to require a bit more attention. At least that is my experence anyay for pocket carriers.

Thanks in advance!

Craig

As a said note, I have a friend who washes his pistols and revolvers in the dishwasher. And has done so for years with no harmful effects. Eventhough he is a gun manufacturer (Blugrass Armory) and extremely knowledgable, I am afraid to do it..
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

For the past 20 years, I have disassembled my handguns and soaked them in hot water with dish soap and used a medium soft brush on them. It works great and the water evaporates off as soon as you remove the parts from the water. Using compressed air or hair dryer ensures that the nooks and crannies dry out also.

It leaves your gun as clean as new and no harsh chemicals to worry about. I do not do it for every cleaning but every so often to get rid of build-up. For the rest of the cleaning I use Gunzilla. If you have not see Gunzilla there are threads here about it. Great stuff....
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    For the past 20 years, I have disassembled my handguns and soaked them in hot water with dish soap and used a medium soft brush on them. It works great and the water evaporates off as soon as you remove the parts from the water. Using compressed air or hair dryer ensures that the nooks and crannies dry out also.

It leaves your gun as clean as new and no harsh chemicals to worry about. I do not do it for every cleaning but every so often to get rid of build-up. For the rest of the cleaning I use Gunzilla. If you have not see Gunzilla there are threads here about it. Great stuff....
    You just gave me an idea, you did say compressed air. I used to think compresser,etc..... but now days they have compressed air in cans.... Started using them when cleaning my computer. Just a thought....
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    You just gave me an idea, you did say compressed air. I used to think compresser,etc..... but now days they have compressed air in cans.... Started using them when cleaning my computer. Just a thought....
    Yes that will work fine, in fact it may even be a little better as the air from a compressor will have some condensation in it and the canned air will not. If you opt to use an air compressor you should have an in-line water/moisture separator.
    Last edited by rottkeeper; March 5th, 2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

AzB
    I have been tempted to toss the metal parts from my guns into my parts washer and let them sit for a while.

I have tried the dishwasher on a motorcycle motor before. Wife wasn't happy, but that sucker was clean as a whistle.

Az

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    I have tried the dishwasher on a motorcycle motor before. Wife wasn't happy, but that sucker was clean as a whistle.Az
    Damn man, what were you thinking?!!!!

ok i'd really really like to find someone on here who could provide some research or scientific study of the effects of submersing your gun in water (in a tub like one poster -- still water) and the effects of submitting your gun to agitated water (like in a dish washer).

I would think the effect on metal gun parts might be different than on polymer gun parts. In both cases, though, effect on the metal parts would seem to indicate rusting.

As far as how clean my gun could get just sitting in a pail of water and dish soap? I'd imagine some serious scrubbing would still be in order.

M-

PS AzB You're lucky your wife didn't leave you after you put a motorcycle motor through the same dishwasher the plates you eat off of go through. I'm just saying.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    ok i'd really really like to find someone on here who could provide some research or scientific study of the effects of submersing your gun in water (in a tub like one poster -- still water) and the effects of submitting your gun to agitated water (like in a dish washer).

I would think the effect on metal gun parts might be different than on polymer gun parts. In both cases, though, effect on the metal parts would seem to indicate rusting.

As far as how clean my gun could get just sitting in a pail of water and dish soap? I'd imagine some serious scrubbing would still be in order.

Most of the gunk melts away, and as I stated some light brushing. And it's not just sitting in a pale of water, it soaked for a minute or two in very hot water with soap.

PS AzB You're lucky your wife didn't leave you after you put a motorcycle motor through the same dishwasher the plates you eat off of go through. I'm just saying.
    As I stated 20+ years of doing it that way. As far as I'm concerned that's research. Rust is cause by slow oxidation, if the gun and parts are in hot water the evaporation is very rapid when removed.

NRA Member

Back to the OP's question about Dunk-It...
    I've always wondered what you do after you let it sit in that bucket and loosen all the gunk. Now you have to clean off all the solvent from the bucket before you can lube the gun. Many nooks and crannies that can't be reached. Seems like an occasional detail strip would be much easier.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Merishino, Go to a Black Powder forum & find out how the CLEAN THEIR BARRELS ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I had a customer who bought an old Buick Riviera with the million crossing spokes on the hub caps. He sent his wife out to do some shopping and ran the hubscaps thru the dishwasher while she was out. Those babies were as shining like the day they were made.

Gunscrubber(Polymer Safe-Silver Cap) Works great on all my polymer framed firearms. Cleans mags without complete disassembly and cleans the polymer frame without damage. Use Can compressed air to dry everything out thoroughly. I am very satisfied with it and have not had any issues as of yet.

The way I forget stuff I'd remember 2 weeks later and pull out a pair of the cleanest wood grips ya ever saw
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

AzB
    She is a saint, but in my defense the dishwasher was none the worse for wear. I did run it with soap but no dishes once before we washed dishes in it again.

Az

well.... that's a relief? Seriously though, I'd be more scared than angry. Scared that some corrosive or otherwise toxic substance would everafter become a part of our food/eating cycle.

Dishwashers are meant to be a one-purpose machine for the reason of sanitation. For a different, less scary example, washing sneakers in a dish washer is possible but arguably if a machine is needed they ought to be washed in a washing machine because you don't eat the other stuff that gets washed in a washing machine. Stuff you walk on in your sneakers (let's not get graphic) that gets washed off those sneakers and leaves residue on the inside of the machine, is best left on the inside of a non-alimentary machine like a washing machine.

Now, apply that same argument to the dishwasher, but with metal shavings, motor oil, antifreeze, gasoline, braking fluid you name it. Sure, the motorcyle motor could fit in the dishwasher. Sure, the agitation of the water in a dishwasher won't damage the motor like the agitation of the doohickey in a washing machine. But the issue isn't really about the motor. Or about the later funcionality of the dishwasher (which could perhaps have been damaged by the act. It's a health/potential poisoning concern.

I will not beat a dead horse.... again. I will just say I'm sure glad you're both ok.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links