NRA Marksmanship Self-driven Training - Do you do it?

This is a discussion on NRA Marksmanship Self-driven Training - Do you do it? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey there wasn't sure where this should be posted so I defaulted to "general". I'm a rank beginner. Have had my First Steps Pistol course ...

View Poll Results: NRA Marksmanship Training:

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I train using the NRA Marksmanship Training program guidelines

1 3.03%
  • Occasionally I will train using the NRA Marksmanship program

1 3.03%
  • I know about but do not use the NRA Marksmanship Training program

7 21.21%
  • I never heard about the NRA Marksmanship Training program

24 72.73%

Thread: NRA Marksmanship Self-driven Training - Do you do it?

Hey there wasn't sure where this should be posted so I defaulted to "general".

I'm a rank beginner. Have had my First Steps Pistol course from an NRA instructor and received my certificate of completeion, a basic pistol rocker (patch/badge), along with a book discussing the NRA Marksmanship qualification levels Pro-Marksman, Marksman, Marksman First Class, Sharpshooter, Expert, and then the one regulated level, Distinguished Expert.

Folks can self-train and, when they decide they've reached the next level, simply graduate themselves by contacting the NRA and ordering the next level certificate, medal, patch/rocker, and associated information.

How many folks follow this program? If you do, do you find following it to be useful to you? Do you feel like your progression in ability was facilitated by your participation in the program?

Just wanted to see what y'all think.

M-
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I haven't heard of it, but it does sound interesting enough to look into.
    I am very competitive and compete with everyone including myself.
    When I got back into having firearms in the home and shooting regularly, a little over a year ago, my accuracy was not what it used to be, and that bothered me. Practice, practice and more practice followed, again competing with myself. Grouping are down from 6 inch groups to 2 and 3 inch groups, but I still haven't got 100 rounds through the same hole. That doesn't stop me from trying, and getting better and better each time.
    Most of what I practice is geared more toward defensive training, but I do take some time for pure accuracy drills as well.
    Will all of this help, if I am ever in a situation where I have to fire to save a life? Maybe, maybe not, but I'm sure it can't hurt. Muscle memory is a big part of the practice and probably what one would default to in a defensive situation.
    The course is interesting that you "self graduate" to the next level, and because I tend to be overly critical of myself I think I would grade myself fairly. Others may be different, but overall it sounds like something worth looking into.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I've heard of it but haven't tried it yet. I figure it might be a fun thing to try out when I have more money/ammo and can afford to go to the range more often
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I voted never heard of it. Thought I was going to be the only one.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Never heard of it, sounds interesting though, assuming you bother to make it to the "regulated" part.

I have heard of it and intended to actually follow through with as much as I could, but I dont belong to a range and rely on opportunities to shoot on private property. Every time I have enough money to join a range I also have enough money to buy a new gun Option #2 gets me every time.

Edit: point being... I never remember to try.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

I've taken NRA rifle/pistol/shotgun/rso training class, but best training is via competition, be it IDPA, bullseye, high power, etc.

--John

Link to the NRA Marksmanship Program

For those who haven't heard of this but may be interested, here's the link to the program information at the NRA website:

Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program

Still trying to decide on whether or not I'll follow it. The thing that's holding me back is that none of the ranges near me allow use of the paper plates the program recommends for use in qualifying for the two beginner levels, Pro-Marksman and Marksman.

Seems like, by the time I get myself to an outdoor range that would allow me to use non-standard targets or targets not sold by that range, I will have outranked those two levels, if I haven't done so already. Hmmm....

M-
    - Abraham Lincoln

- Winston Churchill

Before you invest time and $$ into a training program, ask yourself what you want to get out of it.

If you are interested in combat pistol shooting, train for combative pistol shooting.

I would look for a class in your area that teaches drawstroke on the move, drawing from disadvantaged positions, shooting from the draw and from disadvantaged positions, shooting on the move, malfunction clearance, gun retention...things like that. (cough, cough, Tactical Response Fighting Pistol class, cough, cough...)

Also, invest in an airsoft pistol, eye protection and find someone who's willing to do force on force training with you.

Learning classic marksmanship may not be getting you what you want.

If your goal is to be able to fight with a handgun, then you need to learn to fight with a handgun.

Is marksmanship a part of it - yes...but only a part.

Their is a lot more to training than rounds downrange & tight groups.

What you said...

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Before you invest time and $$ into a training program, ask yourself what you want to get out of it.

If you are interested in combat pistol shooting, train for combative pistol shooting.

I would look for a class in your area that teaches drawstroke on the move, drawing from disadvantaged positions, shooting from the draw and from disadvantaged positions, shooting on the move, malfunction clearance, gun retention...things like that. (cough, cough, Tactical Response Fighting Pistol class, cough, cough...)

Also, invest in an airsoft pistol, eye protection and find someone who's willing to do force on force training with you.

Learning classic marksmanship may not be getting you what you want.

If your goal is to be able to fight with a handgun, then you need to learn to fight with a handgun.

Is marksmanship a part of it - yes...but only a part.

Their is a lot more to training than rounds downrange & tight groups.
    I am going to be doing or have already done everything you said.

Did take the NRA First Steps Pistol, and am currently doing all the range training necessary to drill those basics in good. Will again go back for more intermediate/advanced tactical training once my basic gun handling fundamentals are down pat, I've actually made some holster purchases and trained at least a bit with those prior to that tactical class.

That said... the Marksmanship thing doesn't seem like a bad idea since basically, I'm going to be shooting downrange anyway and, assuming I do not choose to actually register my graduation from point zero through point any with the NRA I can thereby save myself the $5.00 per certificate-patch-medal packet cost for each grade. If I'm really cheap, I'm sure I can figure out how to copy/import/print versions of the various targets necessary to prove to myself that I qualify.

I may or may not choose to pursue the marksmanship self-training course. I absolutely would not consider said course as sufficient training for my self-defense needs.

I do have an airsoft pistol that is probably meant to be a sig sauer p something but is close enough to my G22 "for government work" that I'm using it daily at home for practicing the 6 fundamentals. Good news is, I'm getting a really really effective and immediate and free results-oriented response to how good my stance/grip/site picture is when I shoot. Bonus, my dear bf is a decades (plural) trained martial artist and he and I will be doing FOF exercises with this airsoft pistol. Plan is to train me so I can both retain the damn thing and get some shots off in the mix if necessary.

As it stands right now though, I'm too wet behind the ears to be eligible for said tactical response fighting class. I'm fairly certain they would require me to either or both have a holster and have a permit and be able to prove I can handle a misfire before I could take that class. Just my guess.

M-
    - Abraham Lincoln

- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post

As it stands right now though, I'm too wet behind the ears to be eligible for said tactical response fighting class. I'm fairly certain they would require me to either or both have a holster and have a permit and be able to prove I can handle a misfire before I could take that class. Just my guess.

M-
    You've obviously been handling a Glock well enough - after all, you haven't killed yourself or anyone else yet.

As to a holster, when you sign up tell them you don't have gear and you want to borrow some to see what gear they recommend.

You obviously want to learn...you are probably just about perfect for a class.

If you think you aren't able to hack it...well.

YouTube - McKenzie - 11yo Girl at Shooting Range #1 of #3

YouTube - McKenzie - 11yo Girl at Shooting Range #2 of #3

YouTube - McKenzie - 11yo Girl at Shooting Range #3 of #3

The girl in those videos is 11.

Links