Not doing that again...

This is a discussion on Not doing that again... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's a balmy 24 degrees right now in downtown Minneapolis. So, I get out of bed to walk the dogs. As I'm walking out, my ...

Thread: Not doing that again...

Not doing that again...

It's a balmy 24 degrees right now in downtown Minneapolis. So, I get out of bed to walk the dogs. As I'm walking out, my two Dachshunds start to bark at one of the neighbors (a young female) that is getting out of her car. I retract the leashes and tell the dogs to quite down and continue our path.

I have my 442 in a Mika pocket holster, strong side pocket of my jacket. The woman walking behind me. Two retractable leashes held in my left hand, and I decide to zip up my jacket, while the dogs pull on my left hand. I'm struggling with the zipper, and it happened... The gun comes out of the holster and hits the ground, right in front of the young woman.

I looked at her, then I looked at the gun, I safely picked it up and placed it back in the holster. No one said a word, but I saw how her demeanor changed and I felt a little embarrassed.

So, now I know better than trying to zip up my jacket when pocket carrying...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

2. Remove Ads

Good point for me to remember.

Hope the young lady is pro gun, and will remember where to come if she ever needs help in a real hurry.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Glad it didn't go off and also that she didn't freak on you.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Ouch!!
    Better to have and to hold, than to leave in the nightstand.....

pax
    boricua,

I'm not familiar with the Mika, and can't tell from the website. Is there a strip of "sticky" type material on the outside? (I can tell the shape isn't really designed to catch the edge of a pocket, but assumed from the photo that it would be "sticky" -- but your story gives me some pause.)

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    When a gust of wind or such has caused a handgun to show, I have smiled sheepishly, said "Sorry, it is legal," then carried on with what I was doing. Nobody has called the police on me yet.

Yout should've said "I'm also happy to see you" That would have been a nice ice breaker :)

Lesson learned. Hope it isn't scuffed too much.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    boricua,

I'm not familiar with the Mika, and can't tell from the website. Is there a strip of "sticky" type material on the outside? (I can tell the shape isn't really designed to catch the edge of a pocket, but assumed from the photo that it would be "sticky" -- but your story gives me some pause.)

pax
    The holster is great and it stayed in my pocket, as it should, but the revolver came out of the holster when I flipped the bottom of the jacket up trying to zip it.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    Yout should've said "I'm also happy to see you" That would have been a nice ice breaker :)
    Or said "Whew, I'm glad it wasn't my condoms, now THAT would be embarrassing!"

pax
    The holster is great and it stayed in my pocket, as it should, but the revolver came out of the holster when I flipped the bottom of the jacket up trying to zip it.
    Thanks - that makes more sense.

Glad it turned out okay, but what an embarrassing episode! *sympathetic chuckle*

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

It's just like farting when some body enters the room! Blame it on the dogs!

I had a guy at my office drop his out of his coat pocket. Of course I knew he was a retired sheriff so was all had a laugh and his builder and I showed him our guns too.

Yet in the back of my mind I was glad it didn't go off. That would have been embarrassing for sure.
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

Hope there are no scratches on the gun...

lucky guys (friends) in US...

ts

This is why retention devices are nice, although I too have cheaper open holsters that I have also used, because well like I know that I am not going to be falling down or tripping or rolling or stumbling or jumping or running with a gun inside them...at least until it falls out or is taken out of them.

Links