Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22

This is a discussion on Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got home from a gun show in Fairmont, WV. It was really crowded in terms of buyers, but pickings were slim... maybe 65 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22

I just got home from a gun show in Fairmont, WV. It was really crowded in terms of buyers, but pickings were slim... maybe 65 tables and that's being generous. Glocks, XDs and M&Ps were everywhere with only a few 1911s being offered. Some guy did walk in with a wilson combat 4'' that he was trying to sell for $650.. None of the vendors wanted that! I couldn't believe it, I should have taken that off of him... I didn't see one KAHR handgun in the entire building. (except for the one in my holster.) I really wanted a SW MP 9c, but only full sizes were being sold.

Most of the vendors didn't want my business. They were rude and wouldn't budge from sticker price. Not too many deals, but I did happen to find a 2010 model Smith and Wesson MP 15-22, as seen in the shot show.. comes with the flash suppressor and hopefully a fixed extractor. Paid 530 with tax and extra magazine. Tad expensive.. but I'm happy.

I saw lots of ammo for decent prices, but didn't pick any up. I won't have a chance to shoot her until next week.. I can't wait.

Heavily armed.
    Collection: Kahr CW9, M&P 15-22, Walther P22, Glock 19.
    Sold: XD9 4'', Kimber 1911 Series II compact, FNP-9
    Shopping list: Springfield EMP 9mm, M&P 15 .223

On a side note:
    I used to really be into airsoft until I moved out of NJ (only chance of shooting a gun there.) The polymer feels sorta cheap. I've actually seen airsoft guns that appeared to have used better materials.. but this is just from my initial handling of the gun. I guess my range trip next week will tell me how well Smith and Wesson made her.
    Heavily armed.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomHDM View Post
    On a side note:
    I used to really be into airsoft until I moved out of NJ (only chance of shooting a gun there.) The polymer feels sorta cheap. I've actually seen airsoft guns that appeared to have used better materials.. but this is just from my initial handling of the gun. I guess my range trip next week will tell me how well Smith and Wesson made her.
    They're a great little plinker, I'm happy with mine. Yeah, the polymer has a sort of cheap feel about it, but that also helps keep the weight of the rifle down, not to mention it actually is quite durable.

Buy magazines when you can find them. They seem to be a pretty rare commodity. It took about a month for my local shop to get any in after I bought my rifle. They had 4 in stock, so I bought 3 (figured I'd leave at least one for the next person who wanted mags) for $19 apiece.

As far as ammo goes, I've ran Federal 550 box, Winchester 333 box, and CCI mini-mags through it. Out of those three, the mini-mags were the only "problematic" round. About 10 out of the 100 round box were either doublefeeds, ftf, or fte. YMMV however.

Have fun, and remember, this is probably one of the premier rifles to have once the zombie squirrels begin their uprising...
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Mine paid for itself in three months. If you've got kids, it's just the thing!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Nice piece!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    They're a great little plinker, I'm happy with mine. Yeah, the polymer has a sort of cheap feel about it, but that also helps keep the weight of the rifle down, not to mention it actually is quite durable.

Buy magazines when you can find them. They seem to be a pretty rare commodity. It took about a month for my local shop to get any in after I bought my rifle. They had 4 in stock, so I bought 3 (figured I'd leave at least one for the next person who wanted mags) for $19 apiece.

As far as ammo goes, I've ran Federal 550 box, Winchester 333 box, and CCI mini-mags through it. Out of those three, the mini-mags were the only "problematic" round. About 10 out of the 100 round box were either doublefeeds, ftf, or fte. YMMV however.

Have fun, and remember, this is probably one of the premier rifles to have once the zombie squirrels begin their uprising...
    I've used Federal without issue. I just got a good deal on CCI Blazer, I'm hoping they are reliable. Have you tried them?

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post

I have a GSG-5. I love the CCI Mini Mags. In the 22 format, the cartrige must have enough power to cycle the action properly. Going to higher power may damage the gun in the long run.
    I've heard good things about the Federal 525 value pack, and terrible things about Remington's .22 ammo.
    Find one the gun likes, and stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    I've used Federal without issue. I just got a good deal on CCI Blazer, I'm hoping they are reliable. Have you tried them?
    Nope, haven't tried the CCI blazer. I'm pretty happy with the federal so I'm not buying anything else. Locally, the 550 pack runs me $15. So for $30, I can shoot until my arm falls off.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

The last time I bought the Federals they were $25. I was in a shop that had the CCI for $19 (no Federal), so I figured I would give them a try.

Well I finally got the chance to shoot her over the weekend. I ran about 100 rounds of the Federal 550 36gr. ($15) No problems whatsoever. I regretted buying such an expensive plinker at first.. but I LOVE this little rifle now. Just a pleasure to shoot.
    Heavily armed.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Congratulations. I really want one

Are you planning to put a red dot or anything on it?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I shoot nothing but federal 550 bulk pack in all my 22's including an M16 conversion my buddy has,they run almost 100% with an occassional FTF,but usually cause my gun shot 1000 rounds before it saw a cleaning.
    Do those magazines fit standard AR15 magwells or are they gun specific
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Congratulations. I really want one

Are you planning to put a red dot or anything on it?
    I have a red dot on mine and really like the combination.

I put 150 rounds of CCI through it on Sunday, not one FTF or other issues. The CCI did cause my Savage Mode 64 to jam a couple times (only put 50 rounds through it).

I purchased my 15-22 in August and have been very happy with it. I've fired about 500 rds through the rife without any problems to date and the little rifle will hit empty cola cans at 100yds all day with the factory sights. FWIW, my gun is an early model and doesn't have the supressor installed. I wonder if the supressor can be installed on an early production rifle like mine with the smooth barrel? I paid $450 (tax included) for my gun last summer and I saw them listed at a local sporting goods store for $429 last week. I also had to wait several months before I was able to locate any extra magazines. Even S&W didn't list them in stock at first but the mags I ordered from S&W last fall finally arrived after Christmas and they seem easier to locate now. I think you are really going to enjoy your new rifle a LOT more than you thought you would, I know I have!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Quote Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
    I purchased my 15-22 in August and have been very happy with it. I've fired about 500 rds through the rife without any problems to date and the little rifle will hit empty cola cans at 100yds all day with the factory sights. FWIW, my gun is an early model and doesn't have the supressor installed. I wonder if the supressor can be installed on an early production rifle like mine with the smooth barrel? I paid $450 (tax included) for my gun last summer and I saw them listed at a local sporting goods store for $429 last week. I also had to wait several months before I was able to locate any extra magazines. Even S&W didn't list them in stock at first but the mags I ordered from S&W last fall finally arrived after Christmas and they seem easier to locate now. I think you are really going to enjoy your new rifle a LOT more than you thought you would, I know I have!
    I have mine sighted in at 25 yards. Having yours sighted at 100, how accurate is it at closer distances?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links