Changing from .40 to 9mm

Changing from .40 to 9mm

This is a discussion on Changing from .40 to 9mm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First things first, allow me to apologize for the caliber war that this post will probably start. It's not my intent, but it'll probably happen ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing from .40 to 9mm

Changing from .40 to 9mm

First things first, allow me to apologize for the caliber war that this post will probably start. It's not my intent, but it'll probably happen anyway.

A couple of weeks ago, I hurt my right arm at work(over-extended it.) It took me out of commision for almost two weeks. Yay for the time off, boo for the lack of paychecks.

Well, today I thought I would get out since it was so nice out and do some target shooting. Bad idea it turned out, since that .40 out of my Glock 23 was really hammering my wrist. I stopped after 1 fifty-round box and went back inside my house to clean the pistol. That was about 8 hours ago and it's still sort of sore.

Well, in the time I've been sitting here I've decided that I'm leaving .40 behind and going back to 9mm. It only makes sense since it's an easier shooting round, I've got a Beretta CX4 in 9mm on layaway, and I've never been one of those types who enjoyed having multiple calibers around anyway. (1 handgun caliber, 1 rifle caliber, 1 shotgun gauge, and of course .22lr for my plinker.)

So anyway, what this post is about, is I want to go from a G23 to a G19. But should I do that, or should I just buy an aftermarket barrel, G19 mags, and change the extractor and ejector? My pistol is 95-98%, & it's only got around 1500 rounds through it, so I'd get a decent amount if I traded it in or just sold it outright.

What to do, what to do?
    Last edited by Katana; March 6th, 2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Mis-spelling
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Sell it and get a G19. If you are never going back to .40, might as well have a proper 9mm pistol, instead of a modified .40 caliber. Glocks hold their value well, you won't get hurt too badly if you sell it.

If you want to stick with .40, sell your G23 and buy an M&P 40 fullsize. They shoot a lot softer than the G23. I've always thought Glocks were obnoxious in .40, especially with hotter loads. Not painful or anything, just no fun to shoot. Glocks rock in 9mm.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

kpw
    If it's for carry or defensive use, sell the 23 and buy a 19. As much as I like Glocks in general and the .40 S&W, the 23 has never been a favorite of mine. I tried, owned 2. I much prefer shooting the 22 or 27, don't ask me why. The 19 is a great 9mm platform, hard to go wrong there.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

get the lone wolf 9mm barrel conversion for it. all you will need is some 9mm mags. you don't have to change any other things.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

AzB
    Learn to shoot left handed.

It's a good defensive skill anyway, and it will be a lot cheaper than changing your gun, or changing it around.

Az

+1 from frankmako.

You may want to fo back to a 40 S&W in the future.
    Guns: Glock 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30 & 36
    Rides: 2006 GTO with my turbo system and tune (635 RWHP); 2009 H-D Street Glide with many mods

I say get the 9mm barrel. You know the frame will never wear out with that, since it's originally a .40, plus it keeps your options open and allows you to use the gun you're already used to.

Did you choose the .40 for self defense or target practice?

+1 to kpw.
    I had the 23 and it just wasn't for me, but the 19, it doesnt get much better.

Sell the G23 and get a G19 IMO. Forget the hybrid theory. Glock on!

Sorry, left that part out. This will be my EDC.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not willing to go through the hassle of trying to find another pistol as reliable as the Glock has been for me, nor am I willing to spend hundreds on buying different holsters. Switching to the 19 takes care of both of those problems.

So I guess that's what I'm going to do is switch to the G19. Thanks for the input everyone.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

New barrel or outright new G19 you wont go wrong. 23's and 19's fit the same holsters so your already det with your EDC.

I would, however, go shoot a G19 first just to see if that'll aggervate your injury as the .40 did. It 'might' be more than just snappy recoil.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Administrator
    I'd swap for a 19 too. Buying barrels and a bunch of stuff is only going to cost you more money and you will still just have the value of a G23.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Try a lighter weight 40 load b4 you toss in the towel. Federal 40 cal. 135 Grainers shoot like 9mm's to me.
    Otherwise, get a pistol chambered for 9mm. I do not trust 40 to 9mm conversions where my life is concerned.

Get the barrel and the mags, you never know when you will want to go back to 40, and then you can shoot both!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links