How old on your first time? - Page 2

How old on your first time?

This is a discussion on How old on your first time? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Somewhere around 11 or 12 for shotgun/rifle. When I entered the military at 17 was 1st time with a handgun....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How old on your first time?

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Somewhere around 11 or 12 for shotgun/rifle. When I entered the military at 17 was 1st time with a handgun.

would go duck and pheasant hunting with my dad at age 8. Started carrying a crossman and practising safety from the start. Moved up to a remy 1100 20 gauge(tough to knock a honker down with!) Would go at least 4 weekends a year every year. (mom hated it when dad would take me out of school on thursday and not come home till tuesday) Bought my first pistol the weekend i turned 21. Had never shot a pistol before that and man what a rush!!
    that was three years ago and now i have 4 and have sold 2. Next one coming soon!
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

My grandfather took me hunting from an early age, but did not let me shoot. I received my first BB gun at age 8. I shot my first shotgun at age 10. I shot my first rifle at age 13, during Army JROTC small bore qualifications, and was recruited to the rifle team.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Dad always had a shotgun and a few .22 rifles growing up and taught me at an early age about gun safety. I cut my teeth on the classic Red Ryder BB-rifle that dad handed down from his childhood (accurate as heck tho it was over 30+ years old. You could actually see the BB fly out of the barrel, but I could 'shoot from the hip' accurately every time!) progressed to CO2 BB pistols in the 80's that I shot in our basement into bales of hay then to the .22 (uh, NOT shot in the basement!)

First handgun bought in the '90's (and still have) is my Beretta 92FS and didn't get serious and truly as excited until OH passed its CCW laws in 2004.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Got a chipmunk single shot when I was 4 for Christmas. My brother and I shared a Red Rider before that. I'm sure I had shot some before my first rifle but I can't remember it. Sure remember that Christmas being a real good one though. Dad had a shooting broam in the back pasture and would take us out pretty much whenever we wanted. Got an old Zabala Brothers side by side 20ga when I was around ten or so and my dad made me a deal that he'd give me my grandpa's old .22 winchester bolt action if I got it fixed. So of course I immediately found a smith to do the work and walked away with the best $30 dollar rifle in the world, If all the small game I've shot with that thing was in one place it would be one heck of a pile. Bought my first handgun when I was 18 and fresh in the Navy (FMF Corpsman). Since then many have come and gone (though mostly came). my safe is pretty close to full at any time, I guess that qualifies me as a gun-nut.

First time

I really can't remember the first time but at the age of 9 or ten I use to tye my 22 to the handle bars of my bike and ride up to my hunting grounds about 2 miles from my home.You sure don't see that anymore these days.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I was 7 years oil started shooting a mossberg model 36.I still have it.
    I have shot it so much it's one of those guns you just point.

Started at 6 years old with my Pop. Used his Ruger .22 pistol at first. by the time I was 10yrs old was shooting my Pops 30.06. I'm 43 now and my Pop shoots my guns.

Brian

Hmmmm... I believe I was about 12 years old. My uncle took me shooting at Danvers Fish & Game club and that's where I fired my first .22. A Marlin lever action .22 and a Ruger Mini-14 in .223.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

7-8 or so

1st time

Mom hate's guns. Her sister shot her in the arm when they were small. Dad don't care one way or the other. My Grand dad put me at the end of the driveway with a 22 singleshot Remington, several boxes of short's & a 4'X 8' piece of 1/2" steel in the back of his one car garage & let me shoot to my heart's content. Of course he gave me some training & safety rule's to follow. I think I was 8 yrs old. He lived in town & it was o.k. back then. (very early 60's). Grandparent's died. I got divorced. Bought their house & one day last summer had to explane to a local officer just why I was carrying a pellet rifle across my yard. I told him where I learned to shoot. He rolled his eye's, shook his head, got back in his car & just drove off. I told him thank you(silly kid). I watch myself closely now, & try not to break any gun law's.(bb or otherwise).
    I HAVE TWO GUNS. ONE FOR EACH OF YOU!

VIP Member

I was six.......

my dad had just come back from a tour in Vietnam (he was a Marine). He took me to a quarry near his parents home & taught me to shoot. We started with a bolt action .22. I fell in love with shooting right then & there.

He almost ruined it for me when he let me shoot my grandfather's 12 guage single barrel Winchester. It didn't knock me down, but it sure put a big bruise on me.

As I sit here typing this, that shotgun is today hanging over my mantle.

-Copperknight, thanks for the reminding me of the memories....

Cura ut valeas

I was 12 or 13 and learned on a single shot bolt action .22 lr in Boy Scouts. Right after that I got a Red Ryder BB gun that was my cousins. It took me until after college to shoot my first handgun and soon after I bought my first handgun.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Around 4 or so. My Dad would prop his Rem.22 auto up on a log or hold it and me as I shot. Almost 47 years later I still have that rifle, and all those memories of him.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    About twelve when I was working for a guy in our church He let me shoot his .22 rifle. And then there was this girl I grew up with we used to shoot with her bb gun until I talked my folks into getting me one

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links