Dura-Bake?

Dura-Bake?

This is a discussion on Dura-Bake? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got a CZ-82 coming, which will probably need refinishing. I've heard about Dura-coat, but has anyone have any experience with Dura-Bake? It seems simplier ...

Thread: Dura-Bake?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Question Dura-Bake?

I've got a CZ-82 coming, which will probably need refinishing. I've heard about Dura-coat, but has anyone have any experience with Dura-Bake? It seems simplier to use.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I've got a CZ-82 coming, which will probably need refinishing. I've heard about Dura-coat, but has anyone have any experience with Dura-Bake? It seems simplier to use.
    I would avoid using it on any aluminum frame unless you absolutely, positively keep the applied temperature no highr then 250 F. Most kitchen oven controls do NOT give you that kind of control.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I'm not sure yet (haven't received the pistol), but I think it's a steel frame. Soviet era, you know, tank tough.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Depending on the oven by putting a couple pizza stones in and preheating the oven for 20 minutes then monitor it close with an oven thermometer will yield a pretty stable temp.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Those brownells finishes if done properly are a very nice finish.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I've read some stuff about the baked on finishes, and I think the trick is to well prep the metal and even application of the product.

Good luck, and don't forget the before and after pics.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

TWO words.

Norrell's, and
    K-Phos

I used Gun-Kote on my XD and used the K-Phos pre-treatment. It's holding up very well for a highly abused gun.

Don't know about DuraBake, but DuraCoat works real well and is super simple to work with.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Powder coats require curing temperatures that could be harmful to you weapon.

Dura coat is quick and easy to apply, Just go to someplace like Harbor tools and buy a cheap airbrush set (glass vial) and the auto body shop for some auto paint cleaner, go someplace with a low airborne dust level, such as your garage with the doors closed, hang the part to be coated from an old coat hanger, mix the parts (be sure to just mix enough for the task at hand this stuff goes a long way) spray it and wait 24 hours before you touch it and 48 before it gets good and hard, with a week being the optimum cureing time. After a week if you want to scratch the stuff you will need a file.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    Jeff F--Very nice looking piece! That's very close to how I want the CZ to look. I'm thinking of matching the safety, trigger, hammer, and slide lock with the slide color. Dang! That does look nice.

Sheldon, the reason I asked about the DuraBake is I don't really want to buy equipment (airbrush, compressor, etc.) if I don't need to. Out of work and funds are short. (But there's enough to buy a gun, right?) But DuraCoat is still an option. Reccommended oven temp is 110-300 Degs, depending on time.

BTW, picked up the CZ today, stripped and cleaned it, and it's in better shape than expected. It's really nice and fits my hand like CZ made it especially for me. After wringing it out at the range, I'll look at my finishing options. Now, off to the "accessories" sites.

Links