Oldie but a goody

Oldie but a goody

This is a discussion on Oldie but a goody within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I saw an old James Bond flick the other day and it made me go pull out my old Walther PPK and blow the dust ...

Oldie but a goody

I saw an old James Bond flick the other day and it made me go pull out my old Walther PPK and blow the dust of it. (Figuratively speaking that is.) This is one of my very first guns from way back and I haven't taken it to the range in years. Last evening I decided to take it to the range and get reacquainted with the trigger and all steel construction.

At about the twenty-five round count I remember why I put it away. This little bugger gives off some serious slide bite.
    SlideBite.jpg

After altering my grip a little, I once again fell in love with the accuracy of this pistol. Below are a few pics at 15 yds and semi rapid fire starting from the ready position.
    MyPPK-a.jpg
    1Mag-at7.jpg
    group-7.jpg
    COM.jpg

I gotta say the older Interarms Walthers are worth every penny when it comes to accuracy and function. I have no experience with the newer S&W models, but have heard of some issues with the early runs, but mine is still a sweet shooter. I had one FTE that was most likely due to the slide bite I was nailed with. Anyway I was just wondering how many others here have and or carry the PPK or the PPKS and what's your take on the pistol.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

That's always been the bite (pardon the pun) on this design as well as on the SIG P230 series and the Bersa Thunder, HK-4, HKP9 etc. All the Walther PPK clones will give you web bite, especially if you have large hands.

Most are accurate though.

My wife loves carrying and shooting her P232 and I actually have a P230 as a truck gun. Little tack drivers.
    What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I have no experience with the newer S&W models, but have heard of some issues with the early runs, but mine is still a sweet shooter.
    Just FYI Walther is still Walther... Smith and Wesson is only the United States distributor for Walther.

Good groups glad you had fun
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Just FYI Walther is still Walther... Smith and Wesson is only the United States distributor for Walther.
    Good clarification razor!

gottabkiddin, thanks for the range report!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member
    If you're still getting slide-bite, you just haven't worn the groove deep enough. Keep shooting!

VIP Member
    Yes it bites. It also has a 13-14 lb trigger pull. It is nice to look at though.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post

Good groups glad you had fun
    Gotcha, But aren't they manufactured/assembled in the US by S&W, pretty much the same way that Mid-South Industries in Gadsden, Alabama did for Interarms.?

I guess my question would be, how did they have some that would suffer an AD due to the decocker malfunction if they were just importing the PPK and not building on the original design? Plus the Newer ones from S&W have a longer beavertail than mine does.

Thanks in advance for the Info.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Gotcha, But aren't they manufactured/assembled in the US by S&W, pretty much the same way that Mid-South Industries in Gadsden, Alabama did for Interarms.?

I guess my question would be, how did they have some that would suffer an AD due to the decocker malfunction if they were just importing the PPK and not building on the original design? Plus the Newer ones from S&W have a longer beavertail than mine does.

Thanks in advance for the Info.
    You are correct Smith and Wesson now exclusively manufacturers the PPK and PPK/S pistol.

The PPK wasn't imported because of the Gun control act of 1968. The PPK/S was produced as a result. In 1978 the Interarms distributed a Ranger Manufacturing produced PPK from 1978-2001. Smith and Wesson took over and changed the grip tang. According to speculation the frame mod is to blame for the recall in 2009, in which the hammer block may not work correctly.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

PPK/S for CCW

I frequently carry my PPK/S. It's a sweet shooter, 100% reliable, and I like the way it carrys...so what if it's heavy and it bites; I guess I am just used to it and with these grips; no bite anymore anyway.
    Attached Images

I agree 100% with ya.

After digging mine out and carrying it again for the last few weeks, I find the weight not a factor; plus I love the grip angle and feel of the pistol. Your is the PPKs which has a little longer grip + one more round, but other than that it's the same pistol. I have a plan to fix the slide bite problem; nothing that a little smithing wont fix. I'm looking into the tools needed for the mod and then it's on....

I carry mine mostly IWB and in a self made knockoff of a great carry method. The weight is next to nil and very easily concealed. Here's a pic;

I added a combat cut since the pic was taken and wow what a difference it made with ease of draw.

Great looking PPK/s!

I commented on yours in another thread the other day and again, I really like the grips yours is sporting. I'd love to have the same but with checkering instead of the pattern .. I'm gonna eventually do something there when I find a set that trips my trigger.

GBK

Links