Sig Mosquito

Sig Mosquito

This is a discussion on Sig Mosquito within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking at getting a new .22 pistol for general fun/range use. I want on that doesn't make me feel like I should be competing ...

Thread: Sig Mosquito

Sig Mosquito

I'm looking at getting a new .22 pistol for general fun/range use. I want on that doesn't make me feel like I should be competing with it. (I have a few Ruger Mk IIs) I've pretty much settled on the Sig Mosquito, because, well, Its a sig. What I'm looking for is anyone who owns one who can provide me an honest evaluation of the weapon. I dont want a .22 that will only function reliably with CCI mini mags, I want to be able to put the cheap bulk pack ammo in this pistol and dump mags without (too much) fail.

I appreciate any input I can get.
    Kimber Pro Carry II
    SIG Sauer P229, 238, Mosquito
    Beretta 92FS
    Custom STI 1911
    Glock 17 Gen 3
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

I went with the walther P-22, and the one i have feeds federal bulk and Remington golden bullets good. it took some rounds to break in. I shot some Stingers through it and think it helped it out. The ones with old mags i think had trouble feeding anything but cci.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

bpw
    Hi,
    The Mosquito can be a bit fussy but if it is clean mine works well. I wipe down the feed ramp every 100 rounds or so with Q-tip and a few drops of oil in the hole on the right side of the slide.

The Sig forum has a very extensive thread about various issues and fixes. It is a long thread but was very useful

Sig Mosquito Fixes, Condensed General Version - Topic Powered by Social Strata

I use Federal bulk pack and it does OK. The double action pull is pretty hard but it is accurate enough for shooting pop bottles and the like. I did just ease the edges of the chamber and the feed ramp. They were very squared off and the bullets would tend to catch and drag on the sharp edges. Another trick that works well for me is I spray a bunch of bullets with Hornady One Shot before they get loaded. I decided I don't like One shot for reloading but it does keep the .22's running well. This is not needed but my log book seems to indicate much less failures to feed or extract.

Since it is a bit smaller than full size it is easier to thumb the slide release causing it to not lock back on the last round. Overall I like mine. I have 3 M&P's and I shoot them much more since they are my defensive weapons. The Sig controls are quite different so I am not shooting the Mosquito so much anymore but my son likes to use it when we hit the range. Hope that helps. brian

Links