Electronic Earmuffs

This is a discussion on Electronic Earmuffs within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been thinking about getting a pair, I have a regular non-electronic set but sometimes it's hard hearing other people, buzzers and such..... My question....Do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Earmuffs

Electronic Earmuffs

I've been thinking about getting a pair, I have a regular non-electronic set but sometimes it's hard hearing other people, buzzers and such..... My question....Do they really work well, Do you like them and what type/brand do you recommend..... Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I have a pair of Caldwell slims. They work well for talking and the like and cut off when you shoot. They hiss a little but for the money they are ok.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

I have the Peltor 6's I like them very much.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I bought Peltor's Muffs for my wife and me...solid protection and one can still carry on a conversation which is a great safety feature at the range.

At home I use them with the volume turned off.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

MSA Sordin... pricey, but worth it. They limit impulsive noise but allow speech to pass.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have a set and like them, don't know what I did all those years without them.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Bought some for my son a track coach and the starter gun shooter; he says they work.

I have a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs I've been using for a couple years. There slim and have enough volume to hear things you normally wouldn't hear without amplification. At the Indoor range I have to be careful with the volume because most people holler when they talk giving me a headache

The price Is between $50-$60 making them a good value.

(top of range bag)

Electronic Earmuffs??

I use Dillon Blue ones. Great, use 2 AAA batteries on each side and automatically turn off if you forget to turn them off. My batteries last about 8 months per pair. That is quality and savings.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

I have a set of Caldwell's. They're nice looking and comfortable to wear. Like most, they block out noise over a certain (set) decibel level but allow normal conversation. Kinda stealthy because you can listen to the dweeb in the next lane tell his girlfriend all kinds of silly things about guns and laugh to yourself about it.

VIP Member
    Definately worth while. I use Caldwells. I also use foam earplugs under them just for that little extra protection. Even with the foam plugs I hear conversational voices just fine.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I use the Pyramex PM 4010. Great protection from a quality product. http://www.pyramexsafety.com/product...ronic-ear-muff
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

With electronic hearing protection as in most things you get what you pay for...

That said I have 4 different ones ranging from $20 up to several hundred and love them all, it is great to be able to carry on a normal conversation at the range but still have my hearing intact at the end of the day.

Cheap ones are usually mono, higher price will get you stereo, higher yet will get you quicker cut off, better supression, and amplification so you can hear a normal conversation over 100 yards away, one caveat you also get to hear all of the noise in between, and they will have audio outputs to record what you hear.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I just bought a $230 pair of ProEars Gold muffs. Why? ProEars is the only version of the electronic muff that does dynamic attenuation---that is, most muffs will simply cut off the electronics completely when the gun goes boom and it gets loud. The ProEars will simply attenuate the load boom so you can still hear people talking even while the shooting is happening.

Now, I got these because I am an IDPA safety officer and I think it is worth being able to hear what is going on on the range even when folks are shooting all around. (It didn't hurt that ProEars offers a nice discount to NRA instructors.) Prior to that, I had a $50 pair of the Howard Leight Impact Sports that I thought was great purely from a hearing protection point of view.

Last point is that I usually wear plugs under the muffs. Indoors, or as an outdoors SO with the shooter standing right next to me (and usually a nearby wall or berm to reflect sound right back at me) it can be loud with just the muffs; with the electronics turned up and the plugs underneath, you get the best of both worlds---normal conversations audible and gunshots very nicely muffled.

* Pro-Ears Home Page
    Last edited by kazzaerexys; March 11th, 2010 at 03:39 PM.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

cj
    I've used some cheap ones (I think from Harbor Freight) for years with great effect (I always, however, double up with foam plugs as well). Many times during courses, I've realized I'm the only one listening to the lecture portion of a class on the range while still wearing them.

The plastic finally gave out on them and my wife kindly replaced them with the Howard Leight Impacts which are much more comfortable and better overall quality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links