affordable night sights

affordable night sights

This is a discussion on affordable night sights within the Glow-On forums, part of the Site Sponsors category; Weather resistant, super bright, super dense formula embedded in industrial grade weather resistant medium. visit: glow-on.com What is Glow-On™ Great things come in small packages. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sponsor

affordable night sights

Weather resistant, super bright, super dense formula embedded in industrial grade weather resistant medium.
    visit: glow-on.com

What is Glow-On™
    Great things come in small packages.

Glow-On™Super Phosphorescent is a high density formula, extremely luminescent, created to be a long lasting cost effective, weather resistant durable and efficient water based luminescent medium for multiple applications.

You can use it on your gun to create night sights, enhance the controls on photographic cameras, radios, hiking equipment, create irresistible fishing lures, add to light switches, cell phones, TV remotes, push buttons, electronic switches, dials, etc. to make them visible in the dark, easy to find and easy to operate.
    -It's the most affordable phosphorescent pigment in its class.
    -One vial is enough for 25 pistols or a dozen fishing lures.
    -Long afterglow: It glows for up to 10 hours.
    -Glow-On™ is ten times brighter than similar products.
    -Glow-On™ is easy to apply, it does not need a primer or base due ti its high density.
    -Water based: Glow-On™ is easy to clean before it dries, unlike oil based products which are smelly and messy to deal with.
    -Environmentally safe: Glow-On™ is non-toxic, non-radioactive, non-flammable.
    -Glow-On™ Phosphorescent capabilities will last for at least 10 years. Excitation and emission can be repeated indefinitely.
    -Super concentrated: Our phosphorescent formula is the brightest formula available.

"This technology offers up to 10 times better brightness than previous zinc sulfide based materials."( Wikipedia )

Easy to apply, it will resist any weather.

Glow-On™ Super Phosphorescent Paint single vial with instructions and 2 applicators,
    starts at US$ 13.31 included S&H

Glow-On™ Super Phosphorescent Paint single vial with instructions and 2 applicators
    plus Self Adhesive material only US15.89 plus S&H US$ 3.42

For the months of August and September, with every purchase of Glow-On™,( single vial or single vial plus self adhesive) members of this forum and visitors to this page will receive an extra appreciation package with ten squares and two small strips of Glow-On™ Self Adhesive at no extra cost to use on at least ten rear sights, or a couple of remote controls etc. Just enter on the instructions to the merchant the words:
    "I am a defensive carry member"

follow this link

Some examples
    Go with the glow

Sponsor
    Thanks for the response members of Defensive Carry.com.

We are sending this month a few "dots" for evaluation, only for people who are willing to try them and PM me with their observations, you don't have to "put" them on your gun, it could be anything: a pen, a comb, etc. something you take with you so you can check what happens, hey they're free
    Or, you can just put them on your gun if you like

The green ones are night sights, the orange ones are our "competition" version, it takes a fraction of a second to charge and they glow bright, but the luminescence last over one minute, the green lasts for hours in the dark ( mind you, we are talking dark as in "no light")
    The advantage is continuous performance when the light changes constantly, like when you change direction while shooting or the sun is on your face or you duck under a tree, you probably get he picture.
    The adhesive is to hold the dot in position, when the position is right you have to cover it with a couple of layers of transparent nail polish, (on and around the edges)they are permanent when dry ( this is a beta version though ) we are sending 8 orange and 8 green.

How do I get them?

Simply write on the instructions to the seller space:
    "I am a defensive carry member and I like dots"

So you can get both the appreciation package and the dots.

Why dots?

Why not? Some people might prefer them. We'll see.

If you have any question please PM me at any time

Live long, live free, Gatopardo
    Go with the glow

Sponsor
    Mind you this "beta glow-dots" are 1/8" in size they won't fit all gun sights.
    Just a reminder.

Live long, live free Gatopardo
    Go with the glow

Sponsor

Glow-dots

First off thanks for the help

Second, to make the testing easier, here are a few pointers:
    take the dots inside the bag, expose them to the sun check what happens when you go inside, leave them over a table and check when everything is dark, etc. to get acquainted with their properties.
    You could set them on a flashlight, your pistols etc. just be warned after following the procedure described below, you'll need solvent to remove them completely ( after you've applied the nail polish, that is).

And please remember, the green is for night sights, the orange is for enhanced day sights, it'll give you an advantage when moving and the light direction changes drastically
    You are going to need some of this:
    An xacto knife for handling the dots, a similar tool will help, colorless transparent nail polish, and of course , the dots.

Pull the dots from the base paper like this, if you received them in a littel baggie, just peel the backing off to expose the adhesive surface.

Set them over the intended target surface like so:
    ( I'm using a small tac-light for this example)

Press slightly and make sure the dot is at the right location, the adhesive allows to move he dot around somehow.

Now to make it "stable", apply ON AND AROUND THE EDGES transparent colorless nail polish, let dry for 1/2 hour and repeat.

That is it guys, it is what it is, it is not tritium, or red dot or anything else,is not better or worst than anything, is just different please PM me with your observations.

Live long, Gato
    Go with the glow

Sponsor

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zdinnd View Post
    Well i have equipped the dots to different things over the last week or so.

First was a few around the rim of my night stand flashlight. I used the green ones and they stand out GREAT at night. I live in a rural area and it gets very dark. During the day my bedroom window is covered by a 'woobie' or poncho liner so it only lets in a bit of ambient light however this is more than sufficient to keep them glowing strong until 5 or 6 am.

After that success I placed them on the front sight of my nightstand gun and a few on the frame to orient myself to its position in the dark. Same results. Then one on my phone for the same reason.

Now I'm out of green dots :( I guess ill have to BUY some lol. I didn't really find a use for the orange ones. However they do glow very nice in the dim light for a short while.

Im going to let them sit and repeat their patterns for about 5-6 Mo and if they stay stable Im buying 2 or 3 vials to mark EVERYTHING from the remote control, Ipod, etc

One question. Is this product going to irritate skin at all? I was thinking about using it on my dogs collar...

It is not toxic, but don't try to eat it as it doesn't hold any nutritious value
    Muaha ha ha ha, Halloween is around the corner , I think this one is a kicker:

The symbols don't mean a thing guys, I was just trying to do something simple using just the applicator, by the way since Halloween is next weekend I'm filling up those vials to the top, so you guys who have kids can use some Glow-On just for fun.
    Instructions here

cj

I think one of the biggest things you could do for comparisons against competitors is to make glow times available (and possible pictures at time intervals for comparisons). I've used glow products from a few different companies, and that would be a good basis of comparison for me.
    That is a great idea, I find is best is If I send a small piece of Glow-On Self adhesive, so you guys can make a real time evaluation of how the product behaves. Reason being: Glow times are simple to explain, hard to infer since we people have our own definition of what glow "must or should be".

In any case I can tell you with a straight face, my comparison chart will favor me as it does anyone's elses. We'll leave that to you guys, after all, if you guys don't like it , you don't purchase it. End of story.

I'll tell you thou, it takes 30 minutes for the normal human eye to adapt to a dark environment, that is when the product shows its real value, we call it Ghost Glow now, at this point human night vision doesn't perceive color so the glow is whitish, furthermore, is more easily perceived not directly but with our peripheral vision, so the glow can pinpoint more exactly where flashlights, pistols, light switches, TV remotes are located. Definitely it will assist you on getting that target zeroed in.

At the same time some of you guys who have used the product, know how easily excitable it is, a few seconds of exposure to a small lamp will lit it and make it look like an electric light.

So please don't hesitate just pm me and write:
    I want to check that Glow-On thing , give me an address and presto I'll expedite a small square, just put it somewhere, preferably above a light switch, which you'll be able to see when you wake up in the early morning, hopefully while it's still dark, so you guys can check it out for real.

jca1

I've used this before, what's up Gato....how you is dude?

Here's my findings:

Easy to apply, I put 5 coats on the sights of a revolver. Charged it for about 10 seconds with a small bright flashlight. They glowed for atleast 7 hours. They got pretty dim in the end but still glowed. Excellent stuff for the $.
    Thanks for the post Jca1, Gato is OK! , love to hear that review, that really ups my spirit

zdinnd

Well i have equipped the dots to different things over the last week or so.

First was a few around the rim of my night stand flashlight. I used the green ones and they stand out GREAT at night. I live in a rural area and it gets very dark. During the day my bedroom window is covered by a 'woobie' or poncho liner so it only lets in a bit of ambient light however this is more than sufficient to keep them glowing strong until 5 or 6 am.

After that success I placed them on the front sight of my nightstand gun and a few on the frame to orient myself to its position in the dark. Same results. Then one on my phone for the same reason.

Now I'm out of green dots :( I guess ill have to BUY some lol. I didn't really find a use for the orange ones. However they do glow very nice in the dim light for a short while.

Im going to let them sit and repeat their patterns for about 5-6 Mo and if they stay stable Im buying 2 or 3 vials to mark EVERYTHING from the remote control, Ipod, etc

One question. Is this product going to irritate skin at all? I was thinking about using it on my dogs collar...
    The Orange is basically a double blind test, as that is the old standard for phosphorescent products, pretty awesome glow first, but short lived. It makes the green material doused with Glow-On "super".

Form now on I'll be sending only green dots, you guys who tested them already know the weak part is the adhesive so far, the workaround is the nail polish, blah, blah.
    We will fix that, but when that happens, they're gonna be for sale, in the meantime if you want some, just pm me, I'll just put them in a plastic baggie, so please have your xacto knives ready to peel those backings off, (setting those buggers on a piece of paper has proved to be time consuming for my minions and me, we'll just pour them in a baggie, 1/8" and 1/16") maybe I'll even include some square for this rear sight effect:

In the meantime, don't believe everything you hear and see on TV, live long and live free, my cup of wine is empty, I better get a refill

Gato
    Go with the glow

Sponsor
    Springfield armory with Glow-On:

Go with the glow

Sponsor

Thanks for your support

The Glow-On team would like to thank DefenseCarry.com and its members for their support.

What is Glow-On™
    Great things come in small packages.

Glow-On™Super Phosphorescent is a high density formula, extremely luminescent, created to be a long lasting cost effective, weather resistant durable and efficient water based luminescent medium for multiple applications.

But you don't have to take our word for it, to get a small sample and if you'd like to see it for yourself, just send a self addressed envlope to:

Glow-On
    PO box 12328
    Oklahoma city Oklahoma
    73157-2328

Our product Glow-On™ Super Phosphorescent is gaining popularity and acceptance in the community, for that reason during the months of November and December in the purchase of a single vial, or a single vial plus self adhesive we are packing along an extra bonus appreciation package:

A couple of strips and about 10 1/2" squares of our Glow-On™ Self Adhesive, so you can use on a set of rear sights or TV remote, It'll be hard to loose it again (I'm not saying impossible)

Proudly made in the USA
    Go with the glow

Sponsor
    If you travel, take it with you.
    With the help of Glow-On Self Adhesive package you can fins light switches flashlights and cellphones in unfamiliar places like hotel rooms while you travel

A basic appreciation package comes included in the purchase of a single vial ( $13.31 included S&h)

Flashlights

Remote controls

Cellphones

Just set the small squares over anything, ready to go, no need for anything else.

Of course Ghost Sights

If you order the option of single vial plus Glow-On self Adhesive ($19.31, including S&H),) you get an individual self adhesive Luminescent card plus the appreciation package(10 x 1/2" squares plus two stripes),All you have to do is to cut it and apply it, that is all.

Go with the glow

Sponsor

How to remove Glow-On pigment

Will Cleaning solvents remove it?
    Cleaning solvents will remove anything in the long run when used for that purpose. use caution,common sense and good practices, for the most part solvents are needed inside a weapons works: barrel, trigger and feeding mechanism, etc.
    For the outside a small lint free piece of cloth, slightly oiled is sufficient.

Is it paint?

Glow-On pigment is not "paint " in the general sense, when it dries is more like plastic the longer it stays the harder it gets. However, Glow-On can be removed easily before it cures (usually 24 hrs), a toothpick can be used for that purpose.
    If you make a mistake while you apply it, just wipe it off wit a paper towel and start again.

test it:
    I would recommend, a small application on some hard surface, like a glass, a small metal tool, a stapler etc. observe what it does, play with it, get acquainted, we've put more than enough pigment in the small vial for that purpose, if you happen to spill it or have any accident, please contact me.

How to remove Glow-On
    To remove the phosphorescent pigment take a Q-tip or a small cotton ball dipped in nail polish remover, just press slightly against it, it will become soft and then it can be removed.
    Mechanical removal is possible too, pressure and a blunt tool will pry the pigment free, avoid sharp tools which can damage the finish on some guns.
    Keep in mind that prolonged exposure to cleaners like hopes 9, will affect the finish of your weapon, unless it is clean stainless steel finish, powder coating are susceptible to benzyl alcohol, and even when they are supposed to resist acetone, be careful.

Regular oils won't affect the phosphorescent pigment, as it is water based, transparent nail polish is impervious to oils too since it is a hard plastic when it dries.

The sights on any pistol are the first thing to go bad, they get dirty, white dots get soiled, etc. That kind of muck will affect Glow-On's performance obviously, fortunately you don't need solvent to clean that residue, a Q-tip for your sights, a small towel for around the barrels mouth are sufficient in most cases (dry or moist)
    Go with the glow

Sponsor
    Every effort has been made to accurately represent this product and its potential. Examples and testimonials in these materials are not to be interpreted as a promise or guarantee of any kind, Glow-On is what it is, a Professional Luminescent Pigment for various applications, the success of its use depends greatly on the users capabilities and good practices.

We've been more than willing to let members of DefensiveCarry.com check it out for themselves, just send a self addressed envelope to:

Glow-On Super Phosphorescent
    PO Box 12328
    Oklahoma City, OK
    73157-2328

And we'll gladly send a small sample of Glow-On Self Adhesive so you can check it out.

Glow-On is a singular product, to compare it with anything else , would be like comparing a rifle with a shotgun, just not the same, different purposes, different degree of flexibility, some people would prefer one over the other, etc.

Just let me say that if I have a product I can use to add luminescence to my gun sights, fishing spoons, light switches, flashlights and whatever else which comes to mind, plus is very affordable, you should check it out, so, there is nothing to loose send a self addressed envelope.

Here is a picture, pictures are always good
    Go with the glow

Sponsor

Glow-On's saiga project.

Glow-On's versatility allow for its application on different kinds of weapons sights, particularly there there aren't any third party options.

Like the case of this Saiga:

This semiautomatic shotgun is an amazing tool with an AK 47's action

However like we can see on this photo, the iron sights cannot be replaced or tritium can be added:

What do we need for this job: Glow-On Super Phosphorescent Pigment, a small square of Glow-On Self Adhesive, (provided on all orders), a Xacto knife, a small ruler and transparent colorless nail polish.

First we measure the rear sight to cut out our rear sight application

Here the Self Adhesive is part of the rear sight, the pigment has been applied to the front sight already.

A few seconds of light with our $3.00 led lamp and we have an idea of what we can expect:

Here is what we our eye will see:

Why did we do it? Simply because we can, it adds a functionality, it doesn't hinder the weapon's ability to function, because it's affordable and who knows, we might have to go out after some varmint in the middle of the night.

Is this application compatible with the use of a flashlight technique? absolutely, with the right training, this specific weapon allows for the addition of a tactical lamp on its rails.

By the way Glow-On and lamps work well together:

Go with the glow

Sponsor

Flush dots

A good number of our customers who used Glow-On in the past report they used to spiff up their old sights.

As we all know the gun's sighs are the first think to take a beating, more so because most three dot sights are the receded dot type,(a dimple) and burnt powder residue tends to accumulate inside, plus if the dots are too small, it makes them difficult to clean.

An application of Glow-On SP, should make things better: Just fill in the dots, slice the rest with a Xacto knife , a layer of transparent colorless nail polish and presto. This photo shows a pistol with fixed sights, the front dot has been filled up with Glow-On creamy pigment

But, how do I clean them in case they get soiled? Do I need to use a special solvent? Absolutely not, a small disposable hand wipe should be enough for that, no mess, no fuss.

Ready
    Go with the glow

Sponsor
    We have volume saving prices on single 2.3 ml single vials.

A 20 vials for $100.00 free shipping!

$5.00 Each!!!!!!!1

Get that pistol pimped out with glow-on

Go with the glow

Gato sent me a sample in Sept. Had it on 2 firearms and it is still bright as heck. IMHO this is a great alternative to tritium if you are lookin for inexpensive glow.

Awesome! My 1911 is similar to the one two posts up. I could pay $80 - $100 to buy night sights, another $100-$150 to have my slide Novak cut and the front sight unpinned and the new sights installed, plus whatever the gunsmith charges for labor. So likely a $300 or so excursion.

OR

I could just use this excellent product and forego all that hassle!

I'll be ordering some as soon as I am able!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast