Glow-On glow in the dark gun sights, Q&A please post your questions, be nice.

This is a discussion on Glow-On glow in the dark gun sights, Q&A please post your questions, be nice. within the Glow-On forums, part of the Site Sponsors category; Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 Is this an infomercial? Doesn't matter if it is. They are a sponsor and posting in their sponsor area, ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Glow-On glow in the dark gun sights, Q&A please post your questions, be nice.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Is this an infomercial?
    Doesn't matter if it is. They are a sponsor and posting in their sponsor area, so infomercial, sales pitch, etc. is all fine and dandy.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor

Glow-On: If like me, you having problems reading small text. Read on.

For the last couple of year I noticed a couple of tendencies befalling me. The first one is the difficulty to focus on small text when I'm reading. The second one which is a consequence of the first one it the tendency to constantly check reading glasses when I go to the store to see if my vision improves, should I decide to purchase the aforementioned devices, which I won't because I have to admit I'm still on denial about the whole thing.

In any case, this situation translates into extra time trying to focus on my gun sights, especially the ones with small 1/16" little dots.
    To remedy this, I use Glow-On to make those dots bigger and the self adhesive to cover whole sights like the photo below. The result is a bit unorthodox, but I'm not a purist, life being as eclectic as it is, I don't have a choice.

So if you guys are in the same boat:
    Make the markings bigger, it helps.
    And since there is no need for a white base coat before the luminescent paint application, the process is absolutely painless.

Find Glow-On at:
    glow-on.com
    Amazon.com
    eBay

Go with the glow

Sponsor

Glow-On was create by firearm enthusiasts for firearms enthusiasts.

I've used your product successfully on all my guns. Would you recommend your product for wristwatch hands too?
    Glow-On is will work just fine on big clocks, but it's a bit coarse for the delicate hands of a wristwatch.
    Wristwatch lumen is made with finely ground material and for the same reason the glow is dim in comparison.
    Glow-On wouldn't go thru a fine nozzle applicator for the same reason, so we ship it in glass vials.

Glow-On was create by firearm enthusiasts for firearms enthusiasts.
    We know for a fact, everything attached to a firearm will go thru some degree of abuse.

A careful selection of material, binders and glow materials has taken place here.
    Please support our local economy and lets keep our dollars home.

Glow-On is made in the USA.
    Find Glow-On at:
    glow-on.com
    Amazon.com
    eBay

Go with the glow

Sponsor
    From Facebook
    I didn't want to pay $75 for night sights, so I bought some glow on and painted themselves in 5 minutes and it works great!
    That's exactly the idea, Glow-On is a decent option and it will save you money.

We are not to discourage you from buying what you want at all.
    All we are saying is: Here is this option if you like it, make it yours and take it home.

Find Glow-On at:
    glow-on.com
    Amazon.com
    eBay

Go with the glow

Sponsor

Glow-On: Clean with alcohol, before you apply paint.

I bought some and painted the front sight of my 1911. Let it sit for a day and reassembled the gun and the paint fell off. Didn't notice much of a glow either, the vile glows tho..

The paint takes a lot longer to become permanent, one day after the paint is applied the paint is dry to the touch but is still "fresh".
    Give it a few days until it's really hard to the touch, like concrete.

If the paint just fell like a flake, the surface is oily and need to be cleaned with alcohol again before you apply again.
    If you cleaned the surface with Hope's#9 the surface is oily and it needs to be cleaned with alcohol to remove any trace of oil.

As for the glow, check the dot on top of the vial, your sights should glow that much at least. If they don't glow enough the application is too thin , or the paint was not stirred.

The initial glow is going to be strong and of course more than enough to take care of most immediate situations.

This initial glow fades to a Ghostly glow which can only be appreciated in complete darkness and at this stage, like in the middle of the night.

Go with the glow

Sponsor

Please test your Glow-On before you apply it to your firearm

I'll give it another shot, the surface was definitely dry. I probably have to dilute it. You should sell it in some sort of syringe of sorts to fill in the dots on pistol sights.
    Please don't dilute it, it will make the binder weak.
    We tried tried fine nozzle bottler and syringes, they clog leading to waste.

On a completely different note.

Before you paint your gun sights, you'll want to know what exactly this product does, right?
    Postpone the job for a few days and try this:

test #1:
    Put a few dots over any old shirt that you still like to wear. Especially if the shirt is the same you usually wear when you go to bed.
    -When you go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, what do you see?
    -If you're married what does your wife say about it?
    *Glow-On will never come off fabric; it dries like a hard synthetic concrete.

test #2:
    Put a tiny dot of paint inside the kitchen sink. After just a few minutes, it will be waterproof. (don't try scratching it off just yet)
    -When you go to the kitchen in the middle of the night what do you see?
    -What does you wife say?
    *try scratching it off the sink a week later, almost impossible.

test #3:
    Paint a tiny, tiny dot over your pillow cover and wait for your wife's reaction.
    I don't suggest using your wife's pillow cover, you're going to get a reaction for sure.
    *Make sure it's an old pillow cover or be ready to sleep in the doghouse.

Go with the glow

Sponsor

To Glow-On: But what if the gun isn't exposed to any light??

I haven't read all the replies, but what if the gun isn't exposed to any light?? Say it stays in a bedside safe until needed, will the sight dots still shine??

This is a conundrum: If the gun is in the safe, an individual wouldn't be able to use it.

This is going to be such an improbable thing to happen, but, if so happens, an individual is being attacked in the middle of the night by an armed intruder, he's going to wish his gun is by his side, glow-on or not.

If the gun is under the lamp at the same time such individual turned the lights off.......Then he has an edge, because he'll be able to align a shot at that threat, right?????

Go with the glow

Sponsor

Regular iron sights or white dots, don't glow, Glow-On does.

Ok, well my gun isn't in a safe but in a loose pouch at bedside. I was just saying bedside safe since I figured that would be a little darker then the pouch it's in.

Glow-On definitely needs to exposed to light for it to glow.

Glow-On has an initial glow that's very intense, at this sage is visible even in the presence of soft light.Then it sinks into a soft whitish glow that can be perceived in complete darkness and "if" our sight is adapted to the dark.

These are the facts.
    Is not a suit for every occasion.

But frankly, take a firearm equipped with plain iron sights and go out the backyard, in the dark.
    Take the same firearm after you applied the Glow-On and tell me if notice any difference apply the Glow-On and tell me if you notice any difference.

one can argue that there are better things out there.
    For this price?
    With this simplicity?

NO

You can find Glow-On here:
    Find Glow-On here:
    glow-on.com
    Amazon.com
    eBay

Go with the glow

Sponsor

Glow-On: Photos before and after?

I'm trying to take a decision abut this, could you show me some before and after pictures of this paint, thanks,
    Here's an old photo where the rear sight still have regular white dots, they really don't look like nothing...
    The fron sights already have the Glow-On on them.

Go with the glow

Sponsor

A few particulars about Glow-On

Hello,
    I am considering using your product, but, I do have a question. How long will the
    paint 'glow' after it has been applied to an aluminum surface? Indefinitely?
    I look forward to your response.
    First I'll say that the product will stick to aluminum or other metal, just make sure it's completely clean.

The material will glow intensely after it has been exposed to a good light source.
    A small LED tactical light is the best alternative and a few seconds (4-5) will work great.

The glow fades after some time and eventually it can only be perceived in complete darkness.

However, a quick exposure to the lamp will bring the glow to a very bright level again.
    This cycle can be repeated indefinitely for a period of 15 years.

Please support our local economy and lets keep our dollars home.
    Glow-On is made in the USA.
    Find Glow-On at:

glow-on.com

Amazon.com

eBay

And now a few particulars about this product:
    Go with the glow

Sponsor

Glow-On with with buck-horn sights ?

Quote Originally Posted by kvo45acp View Post
    do you hapen to have any example photos with it on a rifle with buck-horn sights ?
    I have this one from a pistol.
    Originally a Ghost style sight, the upper part was removed and the inner ring painted.

Find Glow-On at:
    glow-on.com
    Amazon.com
    eBay

Go with the glow

Sponsor
    OK, let me first say that I am a newbie. That said, I am very interested in seeing how it actually would look at the range, but am uncertain which colors would be best.

I am thinking it may help me with my aiming. Any thoughts on that?

So, what colors would work best that will work both indoor and outdoor?

Thanks
    It depends on the firearm and purpose.
    Glow-On basically put some glow capabilities on your sights and in the case of Glow-On colors,some color to add a bit of contrast to the sights as well.
    We recommend yellow or green as they are the best balance between day color and glow capabilities. Not much glow at the range because there is light however dim.

Recommended uses for the glow: A quick scan of , backyards, barns, home, stalk vermin, etc.

We recommend the small vial unless you have a batch of things to do like fishing spoons and such. Small vials are not famous for keeping paint fresh.

If you have any questions or comments you can reach us at our website message system.

Is Glow-On the best overall solution for gun sights?

Frankly I wont say this is better solution than anything else on the market.
    Basically there's a place and time for everything under the sun, for example:

Fiber optics, are great capturing light, nothing does a better job, but they are worthless in the dark, affordable but, not every firearm will accept them.

Tritium, is great for the dark, widely used by special forces, it's the best there is for stalking. Not every firearm will accept them, they're costly.

Nail polish paint or testors model paint: Several bright colors available, it's affordable, good contrast, NO GLOW.

Lasers, great solution, work on batteries, great at the range, not so great on moving targets, eyes have the bad habit of following the laser not the moving target.

Red dots, great for any situation, they're fast and very reliable, widely used by the armed forces. Can be very expensive, bulky and not eery firearm will accept them.

No doubt there's more but life is short, so, salute.

Go with the glow

Sponsor

I don't really want to put nail polish on my brand new gun.

Do you have to dig out the original white dots on your sights? I am seriously considering getting the original 10/10 color for my brand new XDM 40 but everyone at my range keeps telling me to just try nail polish. I don't really want to put nail polish on my brand new gun.

Has anyone in SE Connecticut tried this?? If so Please PM me. I'm willing to pay for an hour of range time just to look down the sights of your gun.

Ryan
    The original white dots stay, the glow-On is applied on top of it.
    If you remove it later, you'll still have the white dots.

At the range the glow won't show much, unless the lights go off.
    Or, if the barrel gets hot, the heat activates the glow, not as well as light does but it does.

Note I know lots of folks are fond of red paint. Red tends to recede, doesn't reflect much light, in a black and white photo red looks black.
    Red is OK in uniforms
    Yellow or green are better, the human eye is naturally attracted to these colors.

Go with the glow

Sponsor

Glow-On: How do I pay with a credit card?

I'm interested in purchasing your product, but am confused about payment. Do you
    accept Visa?

Go to:

Purchase

1-Add the items you need to your shopping cart.
    2-Choose PayPal as payment method.
    3- When you are prompted to log in to a PayPal account just choose:"Don't have a PayPal account?"
    4-You are redirected to a page where you can use your credit card without need to have a PayPal account.

We ship asap.

crossfireltd likes this.
    Go with the glow

Sponsor

One small vial is good for 20 firearms at least

This is a great new trend.

Upgrade standard white dots sights with Glow-On 10/10, the original.
    It takes a few minutes and just a few bucks.

One small vial is good for 20 firearms at least
    So line 'em up.

This is fast drying paint.
    20-30 minutes and it's dry to the touch, guaranteed.
    It will cure in 2-3 day to a very hard consistency.
    After you use your vial ad a few drops of water and close it tight.

Find Glow-On at:
    glow-on.com
    Amazon.com
    eBay

Go with the glow

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast