Is glow-on paint worth buying?

This is a discussion on Is glow-on paint worth buying? within the Glow-On forums, part of the Site Sponsors category; My M&P doesn't have night sights on it and wouldn't mind having something like this. Does it work well? Easy to apply? Last long? Or ...

Thread: Is glow-on paint worth buying?

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar

Is glow-on paint worth buying?

My M&P doesn't have night sights on it and wouldn't mind having something like this. Does it work well? Easy to apply? Last long? Or should I stick with the normal sights until I have enough for new ones? Honest opinions please :D
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

2. Remove Ads

I have some on the front sight on my Compact 1911,when you charge them under a light for a few minutes they will glow pretty much all night,even tho they start dimming over time if you wake out of a dead sleep after several hours and look at the night stand you can see the glowing bead well enough to be able to see them if you need them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Sweet. I might have to buy some.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I'll second that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I have some on the front sight on my Compact 1911,when you charge them under a light for a few minutes they will glow pretty much all night,even tho they start dimming over time if you wake out of a dead sleep after several hours and look at the night stand you can see the glowing bead well enough to be able to see them if you need them
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Spend the extra for night sights...nothing beats them.
    OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have it on my XDm's, and Walther P22s, as the first reply says, it works pretty darn well. They suggest (And I agree) to buy some clear nail polish and apply it overtop the glow on to make it wear/weather/etc... resistant, good idea. I've seen where people also paint lines/arrows on the bottom of their mags with it, to have a quick visual reference of "pointy end goes forward" for a mag reload at night. I got two bottles, and used about 50 drops of one, basically still have a full bottle, because I gave one to a buddy for his use. Easy to apply too.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    OMOYMV
    True, not a substitute for night sights. But I have a dual purpose for it. I painted the knob indicators on my radios and put an ultra-violet light up high in the back ground and they glow real bright in the dim light in which I like for playing with them.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

While paint on glow sights obviously has it's limitations, I hear most people have been satisfied with it.

But like retsupt99, I prefer springing extra for tritium night sights.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    For the very low cost of the product why not try it and give it a shot and see how it works out you?

I have some items in my Bug Out Bag that I have tagged with the stuff. SO....It has other sort of neat uses as well.

Great stuff for the money. I was amazed at how brightly my sights glowed after a bit of exposure to a G2 Surefire, and how long it lasted.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Nek
    I tried various neon paints and then tried glow in the dark paint, then tried glow in the dark powder mixed with clear paint and just packed it into the hole where my M&P front site white paint use to be (you know what I mean if you have an M&P). Anyhow it would always get dirty enough after a couple hundred rounds of practice and I'd wipe off what I could. But Powder Blaster would always take some of the paint with it and Id want to re-do it and make it look pretty. Like the other poster said, save your money and do it right, just get night sights. My LEO version of the M&P45c came with them and its the best sites Ive seen.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    OMOYMV
    I will stick with my Laser but train like it isn't there.... I have a few sets of night sights, but all it takes is one muzzle flash & they are useless... Granted, technology does seem to fail when you need it most.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    My M&P doesn't have night sights on it and wouldn't mind having something like this. Does it work well? Easy to apply? Last long? Or should I stick with the normal sights until I have enough for new ones? Honest opinions please :D
    I have some. Hate it. Why? Only time i'd need glowing sights would be at night. Which generally would mean I'm using my CCW. Which means it's been tucked under my shirt for awhile. Which means it won't glow.

I'd spend the extra cash for night night sights. Need to get a set for my M&P45c I just got replaced.

The product works, but has to be charged. I recommend it for the low price and different ways it can be used. They sell a stick on variety besides the paint.