I've been slow getting this posted but, significant info regarding Glo-On...

This is a discussion on I've been slow getting this posted but, significant info regarding Glo-On... within the Glow-On forums, part of the Site Sponsors category; I have an H&K P30L with luminescent sights and was quite impressed with them. I actually sent the slide to a buddy of mine that ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tangle

Thread: I've been slow getting this posted but, significant info regarding Glo-On...

Senior Moderator

I've been slow getting this posted but, significant info regarding Glo-On...

I have an H&K P30L with luminescent sights and was quite impressed with them. I actually sent the slide to a buddy of mine that does tons of training and gunsmithing and he too was impressed with the luminescent sights.

Then I got a bottle of Glo-On and compared the Glo-On to the H&K lumies. The Glo-On performed every bit as well as the H&K sights, both in brilliance, characteristic decay, charge times, and useable duration.

So my buddy sent me some Pro Sights to paint for him. I did and sent them to him and this really gets interesting! He had ordered some mil-spec luminescent paint that our military uses and it finally came in. In his tests, the Glo-On was as good, if not better, than the mil-spec stuff.

I did not put the clear sealer over the paint as recommended because I though I might want to remove it and try something else.

Shooting:
    The Glo-on shoots, i.e. shows up every bit as well as my H&K lumies. At the indoor range my Pro Sights appear as a line dotted by the front sight dot. At this lighting level the paint appears mostly as white. The significance is, you can see them. Unlike light reflective or light concentrating (FO) sights, Glo-On is a light emitter. That means they will work in light levels where the reflective or light concentrating sights would not work well.

In bright light, especially sunlight, the paint emits so brightly that they appear green in color and look like little lights.

I have to admit that before I tried Glo-On, I was a bit skeptical about the performance of Glo-On paint - not any more. It works as advertised. The info on the Glo-On website is factual and accurate. As stated on the site, this is not night sights; some think they're better than night sights. I doubt I'll buy another set of night sights. I will add Glo-On to my non-night sights though. I can't hardly make myself cover expensive night sights with paint, but after a few years when the night sights have decayed some, the Glo-On just might take over.

Installation:
    I had good installations and not so good installations. It's really pretty easy, but like anything new, you learn to improve as you gain experience. Actually, on the few not so good applications, I simply and easily removed the paint (before it set) and re-applied it.

I didn't try any unusual configurations; I pretty well stuck with the shape of the stock sights. But I can see the potential to 'experiment' with sight configurations. I seem to prefer the Hienie type two dot sights, but I have come to like the Pro Sight better with a rear bar and dot front.
    QKShooter likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the good review. I may try some now.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Administrator
    A good, honest review. Thanks Tangle.

Slightly Off Topic:
    I am thinking that there are a few items in my Bug Out Bag that I might want to "tag" with the Glo-On so that I can flashlight charge them and have them available for possible nighttime emergency use without having to click a super bright light on to locate them.
    It seems like worthwhile stuff with potential creative uses limited only by the imagination in addition to its more traditional firearm sight use.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    A good, honest review. Thanks Tangle.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    ...Slightly Off Topic:
    I am thinking that there are a few items in my Bug Out Bag that I might want to "tag" with the Glo-On so that I can flashlight charge them and have them available for possible nighttime emergency use without having to click a super bright light on to locate them.
    It seems like worthwhile stuff with potential creative uses limited only by the imagination in addition to its more traditional firearm sight use.
    Exactly right! I thought about mentioning some other things and thought it would just make one post too long, so I'm glad you mentioned this.

In night shoots at Gunsite, they put a lumi card on the back of your ball cap to help keep up with you in the simulators.

And yeah this stuff would be great for applications like BOBs. Great idea!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Sponsor

Glow-On gun sights paint: Can this stuff be 'charged' by LED lighting?

can this stuff be 'charged' by LED lighting?
    Absolutely, a small tactic lamp will suffice, they go together like PB & J.

Preparedness is the key here. Plan ahead, practice for any eventuality, have the right stuff at hand and make sure is in good condition.

Find Glow-On at:
    glow-on.com
    Amazon.com
    eBay

Go with the glow