To understand how Glow-On works

This is a discussion on To understand how Glow-On works within the Glow-On forums, part of the Site Sponsors category; How long does it glow? It's obvious that anything I say will be taken with a grain of salt to say the least. However, there's ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GH

Thread: To understand how Glow-On works

Sponsor

Cool To understand how Glow-On works

How long does it glow?
    It's obvious that anything I say will be taken with a grain of salt to say the least.

However, there's a very good method to understand really how this product works, so read on.

First take a T-shirt, any color new or old which you use when you go to bed.

Second, put a couple of drops of Glow-On over that T-shirt and let it dry for a few minutes. That's all..........

Wear it when you go to bed, you'll see it glow, all night long.

Right when you've forgotten about it , you'll see the glow.

It will look like a white glow because when our eyes naturally adapt to the dark we don't perceive colors.

With the same shirt and during the day, run outside for just a second and come back in immediately...Observe the glow!

After this, why don't you try and wash it off..! Impossible!.

This test never fails. Its a fail-safe method to understand how it works therefore how it can be used with advantage.

Go with the glow

2. Remove Ads

Murphy says my home would be invaded and I would give the invaders a glow in the dark target. But from what some shooting buddies have told me a high quality one I intend to place an order.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Murphy says my home would be invaded and I would give the invaders a glow in the dark target. But from what some shooting buddies have told me a high quality one I intend to place an order.
    Thanks for your comment.
    Incidentally, we need a volunteer!!! if you are willing to run this test on a T-shirt and then to let us know how it goes, I'll be happy to oblige and we'll send you the product, at no cost to you of course.
    Just PM me name a name and location and I'll ship.

That glow is the last memory those ******** are going to take with them...Because if they don't want to get shot, the last thing they want to do is to break into your home...lol!

Go with the glow

I use glow-on on 2 of my pistols. For the bedside gun I have a Olight flashlight next to my gun(I also have light mounted on my gun but prefer a separate light). I don't want to "sweep" a loved one in order to see them in total darkness. I have Trijicon sights on my other guns but they don't glow as bright as the glow-ons after a 2/3 second hit with my Olight. Also, I am finding that at the indoor range I shoot at, subdued flourescent lighting , the Trijicons aren't as bright as the glow-ons after a 10 second hit w/my light. The glow-ons glow almost twice as bright as my Trijicons. I know it sucks getting old.

I've got it on all my pistols and even the ghost ring sights on my Mossy. I NEVER would've thought this stuff would work so well. Even lamp light will cause them to glow well enough to easily see. Both my CZ's are under lamps now. I'm going to resist charging them with the flash light to see just how well they do. With just 15 seconds of flash light charge per sight, they glow from 10pm til 6am. I WILL be charging the Mossy M590A1, though.

Sponsor

We got some volunteers for the "spill Glow-On on this T-shirt test"

We've got some volunteers for this test, YEAHHHHH!

Some of you might not be aware of this:

When human eyesight adapts to the dark, the focal center of the eye there is always a dark spot, yes, we see a dark blob in front of us.
    The reason is, that central focal spot of the eye is mainly composed by cells specialized to"see" in daylight. But it goes blind in the dark.

test it:
    Try looking directly to a star in the night, it seems to disappear when we try to focus on it, move the focal point slightly to one side and there it is!

So, to aim correctly your firearm and glow sights of any nature, tritium Glow-On or such, set your vision parallel to the sights, don't look directly thru them. That's how it works, you use your peripheral vision

*Some of you in the military know this already, to see in the dark, don't look directly at it, you use your peripheral vision.

Of course the exception to this are the guys like me, with near,far, screwed, sighted vision. I'll need a lamp no matter what..And of course just like the rest of this team, Glow-On of course
    Go with the glow

Sponsor

Cool Glow-On: I always put my money where my mouth is

Metaphorically speaking of course.

Just last night I wore one of those infamous T shirts with Glow-On "sprinkles".
    so I went like..... Phew...! still works.

You see, you never know when the world as you know it will change in anyway...Say, the sun throws a flare and nullifies our product with mysterious radiations etc., for instance...Lol!

So here is the rule:

If you can see it...It glows!

It doesn't have to glow like a beacon, that's really asking too much, our product also have limitations like everything else.

For instance: The guys that bought the product to make their PlayStation 3 controllers "glow in the dark" just a few feet from a super bright 70" LED screen....need something else.

Go with the glow

Sponsor

How much Glow-On to use on my gun sights

Hello I was wondering if you could briefly explain with photos if possible, how much paint I should use on my sights to get a good glow, any help is much appreciated, Red L.
    Hello Red, basically you want to use it generously and here's a tip.

Load the tip of the small wooden stick until you have something that looks like a drop, then touch the spot repeatedly to unload the paint until you've formed a small droplet over the surface.

It should look like a "dome", while it dries and the water content evaporates and it will flatten nicely over your sights.

A second application might be necessary.

Go with the glow

Quote Originally Posted by gatopardo View Post
    We've got some volunteers for this test, YEAHHHHH!
    Need any more?
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatopardo
    How long does it glow?
    It's obvious that anything I say will be taken with a grain of salt to say the least.

However, there's a very good method to understand really how this product works, so read on.

First take a T-shirt, any color new or old which you use when you go to bed.

Second, put a couple of drops of Glow-On over that T-shirt and let it dry for a few minutes. That's all..........

Wear it when you go to bed, you'll see it glow, all night long.

Right when you've forgotten about it , you'll see the glow.

It will look like a white glow because when our eyes naturally adapt to the dark we don't perceive colors.

With the same shirt and during the day, run outside for just a second and come back in immediately...Observe the glow!

After this, why don't you try and wash it off..! Impossible!.

This test never fails. Its a fail-safe method to understand how it works therefore how it can be used with advantage.

The rules for this test are very simple:

The testers will use a t shirt and"spill" some Glow-On on it.
    Use that t shirt to go to bed.

The proposition is: Anytime the testers wake up for any reason, while wearing their "stained" t shirt, they should be able to see the paint.
    So, if they can see it, it glows, right?
    That simple.

That's it........
    Go with the glow

GH
    I got the sample, Gatopardo. I put a spot on the sleeve of my T shirt & when I woke up at about 4:00AM it was still glowing. I had placed the vial of the unused Glow-On on my bedside table & it was shining like a beacon! No special charging, just room light. The T shirt was charged with room light & about 30 seconds exposure to an LED flashlight.

I can remember glow paint we used when I was in the photo finishing business. We put markers on light switches & at the edges of equipment that we used in total darkness. Regardless how long we charged them it seems that the glow would be very dim before we even finished up in the dark. By that time our night vision should have been at its peak. Glow-On really works! I've never had the pleasure of a glow paint lasting this long.

I'm sorry I ordered my M&P 40C with tritium night sights now. All I really would have needed was Glow-On. I have a full size M&P 40 with Trijicon night sights & I'm thinking of painting Glow-On over them.

Question - how easy is it to take off? I have a Sigma that's all but sold & will be when my 40C comes. I'd like to paint the sights with Glow-On but the new owner might not like it.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

GH
    As it turned out S&W shipped a whole batch of M&Ps to Streicher's Police Supply without Trijicon sights. They called me & asked if I'd accept the M&P 40C I ordered with plain factory sights which I did. I'll pick the gun up Monday & as soon as I get home I'll paint the sights with Glow-On. The money I saved without night sights paid for a new holster.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C