Unlicensed occupant using gun in SD - Page 2

Unlicensed occupant using gun in SD

This is a discussion on Unlicensed occupant using gun in SD within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Your answer is specific to individual state's laws. NY ... I don't know. In Texas, you don't need a CHL in order to keep a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unlicensed occupant using gun in SD

Your answer is specific to individual state's laws. NY ... I don't know. In Texas, you don't need a CHL in order to keep a firearm in your home or auto for self defense, only to carry it on you concealed outside home or auto.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Well, in Virginia, where people are allowed to carry openly without a permit, and can carry the most powerful handgun in the world (that could blow your head clean off)....our laws aren't relevant. As others have said, you need to consult a NY lawyer in light of your girlfriend's personal history. If she knows for a fact that she doesn't qualify for a license, then your permit and ability to keep firearms in your home may be at risk.

In my opinion, if she knows for a fact that she doesn't qualify for a permit, then whatever those personal history circumstances might be (e.g., that she is a convicted felon) could color the interpretation of whether or not a hypothetical shoot was "good" or not.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Honestly, I am a little confused about all the people saying 'talk to a lawyer'. If her choices come down to commit a crime or die, which would you rather she choose?

Obviously she should do anything possible to avoid being put in that situation, but I don't think that was the question.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    The advice about contacting an attorney is spot on.

Bear in mind that, depending on the details of the "history" involved, you could be in legal jeopardy for providing her access to the firearm.
    This is EXACTLY what was my very first thought.

Allowing her access by providing her access to the safe/lock key or combo is in the eye of the law willful provision of access and means. You might as well just leave the gun out unlocked as it would be the same difference to that end.

You need to be talking to an attorney, not for her benefit but for your own good.
    She's just a GF not your wife (yet).
    You gotta look out for your first and foremost.

Depending on your state and local laws as well as your specific location tell her to go and buy a LEO sized container of OC/CS or a commercial sized container of OC.

LEO grade LARGE canister size OC/CS

Source Aerko International

Commercial grade LARGE canister size OC for bears and those who live in rural areas where contact is plausible.

Source - UDAP Pepper Power Specifications, Spray Ranges and Pricing

Mount a can or two of these as at strategic points within your shared residence same as you would a fire extinguisher.
    If OC/CS is also restricted for possession by your GF then swap this out for a personal sized or large ABC type fire extinguisher.
    Yes, I am serious. Read this MSDS on same.

Protect yourself and your liberty's first and foremost.
    As for your GF it's just a matter of thinking outside the box [gunsafe] as everything and anything can be weaponized...Including even compressed air and electricty.

EAA IZH Drozd Automatic BB gun

Baikal Drozd BB Gun - .177 Caliber - up to Six Rd Bursts!
    EAA IZH Drozd Automatic .177 BB Gun

Fully lawful to own/possess by anyone everywhere in the US including MA (!).
    Not deemed a 'firearm'.

Normally one would not deem fire extinguishers, bear spray (which is extremely toxic to humans and can kill a man...so be extremely careful with that stuff and do not experiment with it!), and .177 caliber BBs to be a primary mode of self defense. But when no other options are available you drop down from thoughts of what is optimal to what is more functional than having nothing at all.

Protect yourself.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Handgunner View Post
    My girlfriend does not have a permit and is reluctant to seek one based on possible rejection by the state due to personal history. I have offered to show her how to use my handguns in the event she needs a quick defensive weapon. I am away from home 4-6 days out of the week so any scenario she encounters will likely be without me. She has access to a loaded shotgun but access would be delayed due to location and lock removal.

While I'm not looking for legal advice, in the opinion of those on this forum, what legal consequences would she face by opening the safe and using my registered pistol against a perp?* More than being attacked, she is afraid of being arrested for illegal use of a deadly weapon.

* Assuming a clean shoot against a deadly, advancing threat who broke into our home.

Pony up the cash and have her get a pardon.

Usually runs about $2,500 to $5,000 - but the results are worth it.

(I'm talking legal fees, not bribery...)

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Pony up the cash and have her get a pardon.
    This, too.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links