The one thing that I did when we had our system installed was to have 2 motion detectors installed. It is now absolutely impossible to reach the stairway to our sleeping quarters, also have 2nd keypad upstairs and set the system to away instant when we retire for the night so the motions are active. they are bypassed in the stay mode.
Also took the following advise when I implemented our home security plan.
* Installed security film on all 1st floor glass.
* Installed high security striker-plates on all exterior doors.
* Replaced screws on "ALL" door hinges with 3 1/2 inch screws into studs.
(originals were only 3/4" long)
* Installed quality lock-sets with deadbolts.
* Installed locking storm-doors and keep them locked.
(puts a locked door between you and whomever if you answer the door= time to draw if needed)
* Solid-core door at top of stairs with security striker-plate and deadbolt.
* Solid-core door to master-bedroom with security striker-plate and deadbolt.
* Solid-core door to master-bath with security striker-plate and lock-set.
* Solid-core door to walk-in closet off master-bath with security striker-plate and combination lock with dead-bolt.
* CCTV system with cameras in key locations and monitor in closet.
* Old cell phone on charger in Closet (only good for 911 but it's free)
* 870-Riot ready to go mounted over closet door.
Doing the above I basically put Six securely locked doors between my family and a BG. plus the BG Will have to deal with 2 Belgian Malinois at some point.