New security system up and running

This is a discussion on New security system up and running within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just had a hardwired security system installed in the house Wednesday. All doors and windows have contacts, indoor and outdoor siren, smoke/heat detectors and living ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New security system up and running

Just had a hardwired security system installed in the house Wednesday. All doors and windows have contacts, indoor and outdoor siren, smoke/heat detectors and living room motion detector installed.

There have been several break ins in our county since the economy turned sour and I am just now in a position where I could afford the system. Slept a little better last night and feel a little better leaving the house during the day.
    Last edited by golfnutcasey; March 19th, 2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Mods please move this to home security as I forgot I was viewing defense scenarios

It's a good purchase, watches the house when you are away and give you time to get armed at night. Stay safe.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Sounds nice. Have you put up any signs? I've heard/read that small signs stating the system is there help deter crime. Not sure how true that is.

Every little bit helps.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Don't forget to call your home owners insurance company. it's a small amount, but I get discount for having an alarm.

I like to leave on the electronic voice announcing which entry is opening. That way if I'm alone and hear "the voice", I know something is up. Same at night. If you have emergency services monitoring, do you have wireless as well as landline telephone connection? That's really important as it's easy to cut a phone line before a break-in.

Quote Originally Posted by golfnutcasey View Post
    Just had a hardwired security system installed in the house Wednesday. All doors and windows have contacts, indoor and outdoor siren, smoke/heat detectors and living room motion detector installed.

There have been several break ins in our county since the economy turned sour and I am just now in a position where I could afford the system. Slept a little better last night and feel a little better leaving the house during the day.
    Do you have a safe?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Our cable company has begun to advertise home security systems. Apologize for asking, but has anyone gotten their security system from the local cable company?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Our cable company has begun to advertise home security systems. Apologize for asking, but has anyone gotten their security system from the local cable company?
    I wouldn't think of it. It's just another way of them tying you into a contract for service. What happens if you change cable providers? At least with an alarm that uses a telephone or radio you can change cable / phone providers at will.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Do you go to the dentist to to get your eyes checked? There is more to installing a security system that just running the wires.

Get your garage doors alarmed too!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Sounds nice. Have you put up any signs? I've heard/read that small signs stating the system is there help deter crime. Not sure how true that is.

Tip: If you're going to put up signs, consider using generic ones that don't telegraph the type of service and equipment you're using. This can avoid simple research of how to sidestep your gear.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    That's great. Thinking about it myself. I'm starting to travel more now and I want to ensure my wife is secure at night.

Just my view here. I never could see advertising that my home is under a alarm system, just never could.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Alarm systems are great if used properly. I think you should add a carbon monixide detector as well. On my system, I have two partitions, windows and doors, and safes. The safes are armed 24/7 unless I disarm it. If they are opened with out disarming the system, they send a silent signal/ code red to police. Either I have been ambushed, or someone is tampering that shouldnt be(like my son, or company in the house etc). the doors/windows are activated at night and when we leave the house. Signage saying you have an alarm will eliminate the professional cause he will look for a lower risk, easier target. It may have no affect on a druggie, or non pro. There are only two people who know about the second partition, my wife and alarm guy. Ok. All of you now!
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Hey thanks for all the replies. Several of you asked questions so here are some answers:

-I do have a sign up at the end of my drive saying the house is protected by a security system.

-I do have a safe.

-I do have a carbon monoxide detector.

-I also have the chime feature enabled letting me know if a door opens.

-As far as the bad guy cutting the phone wires, that was a major concern of mine, so the installer set the system to go off if the wires were cut. The only downside is if the phone company cuts your service for maintenance, the alarm will sound but I am more than happy to take that chance.

So far I really like it and am happy with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links